Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    And, yes. Peter has fallen in love with other people.
    But he's only ever really yearned for two of them, Gwen (which is more guilt than anything), and MJ. Any time he does'nt pay MJ a second thought is grossly out-of-character (much of Slott's run), and even then, Spencer fixed that by having Peter admit to MJ that nothing worked without her.

It's not a question of propping up a favourite 'ship in a debate, it has everything to do with knowing the character and history.

BANNED

And, yes. Peter has fallen in love with other people
    I said specifically that Peter is the only man that Mary Jane has truly fallen in love with. I don't know why you misunderstood that point. Since it was clear. Peter has fallen in love with Gwen, Felicia Hardy, and also Betty Brant to some extent, but with MJ it's only been Peter. For someone who cares so much about MJ's agency and so on, you certainly seem to have issues seeing that relationship from her point of view and the importance it has for her.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    But he's only ever really yearned for two of them, Gwen (which is more guilt than anything), and MJ. Any time he does'nt pay MJ a second thought is grossly out-of-character (much of Slott's run), and even then, Spencer fixed that by having Peter admit to MJ that nothing worked without her.

It's not a question of propping up a favourite 'ship in a debate, it has everything to do with knowing the character and history.
    I thought you were going to mention a good comic book run. Spencer’s run’s been boring pointless, and cliche.

Extraordinary Member

They should never have broken them up.

Astonishing Member

I thought you were going to mention a good comic book run. Spencer’s run’s been boring pointless, and cliche.
    I disagree 100%. Comparing Spencer to Slott is like comparing the Yankees to the Baltimore Orioles. One is a winner who loves tradition, the other a loser who forgets tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Sure. But there are only 20 pages in a comic book. If it doesn't advance plot or character, it's wasting limited real estate.

And even anything that develops Mary Jane's character needs to be useful to the story of Spider-Man.
    This is true, and a complication for writers.

One advantage of Lois Lane's job is that it's very easy to get her into situations that are part of the A-plot.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    This is true, and a complication for writers.
    Not for the daily strip writers. They always had MJ involved as much as they could due to the Parkers always needing to travel somewhere due to her occupation or the fact they could always afford a holiday together, the last strip storyline saw her teaming with Luke Cage after Peter fell victim to Killgrave.

Comic Geek in General

Not for the daily strip writers. They always had MJ involved as much as they could due to the Parkers always needing to travel somewhere due to her occupation or the fact they could always afford a holiday together, the last strip storyline saw her teaming with Luke Cage after Peter fell victim to Killgrave.
    Then maybe have MJ change careers........her being a model/ actress attracted stalkers, I see her being a great counselor at a high school (given her crap childhood/ family life, her moments where she supported Peter during his worse times, when she was able to.......the less said about his Spider period, the better, her former party girl persona which was a defense mechanism......heck, wasn’t her decision to stay with Peter after Gwen died as well as her revealing her history, after saying she knew he was Spider-Man was when she started to drop that aspect of herself.......) or maybe stick with being the entrepreneur with clubs/ businesses.......or become some sort of columnist for the Daily Bugle

We know that the seeds are there to reverse One More Day......i would hazard a guess it would happen either after the December event they’re teasing, or before or at the next milestone issue mark or Anniversary Issue......

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Decoy View Post
    ...We know that the seeds are there to reverse One More Day......i would hazard a guess it would happen either after the December event they’re teasing, or before or at the next milestone issue mark or Anniversary Issue......
    Thing is if they do reverse OMD they are stuck they can't use that trick again unless they want their constantly shifting continuity to become a running joke like DC's is. No one has any damn idea which stories are and aren't canon with DC anymore (there is even a thread on this site in which people are joking about just that).
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-19-2019 at 10:45 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Thing is if they do reverse OMD they are stuck they can't use that trick again unless they want their constantly shifting continuity to become a running joke like DC's is. No one has any damn idea which stories are and aren't canon with DC anymore (there is even a thread on this site in which people are joking about just that).
    If One More Day - Let's say Civil War, for good measure - and many of the events that happened after it - no longer happened in continuity - I'd be fine with it.

I was a regular Spidey-reader, the first time I've read Spidey, 1995 - 2000, then 2003 - mid 2007, with the gap between 2000 and 2003 of course the period Mary Jane was dead, which she was in 2000 / separated from Pete. Even today, despite being comfortable enough to read new Spidey now, my one slight discomfort is the appearance of Peter / MJ cohabitating.

We can still have Spidey being chummy with the current crop of Marvel Universe - such as Ms. Marvel - but would be nice to have at least a mini-featurette tale on how Spidey met them.

Harry Osborn could still be dead, but at least Flash Thompson - who in my opinion has became a much better best friend to Pete than Harry the past thirty-five years - could be still alive.

Mister Negative has apparently grown as a major enough recent addition to Spidey's rogues gallery, but he still does not, at least my opinion, have the classic like-ability memorable-ness of Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, or Kingpin, Scorpion, Rhino, Sandman, or Electro, Shocker, or even Hammerhead, Silvermane, or Molten Man. To me, the last great worthy addition to Spidey's foes was Carnage.

The only two casualties, I would say, one, would be Otto Octavius' character growth - but we all know, under the laws of status quo - whether it may be ten years from now, five years from now, two years from now, or even next year, sooner or later, he'll be back, bespectacled, bowl-cutted, a little pudgy, and mechanical tentacles under his neural control.

And two, J. Jonah Jameson's character growth, but I'd also be happy with traditional status quo J Jonah Jameson too - as publisher of the Daily Bugle - along with staff of Joe Robbie Robertson, Betty Brant, Ben Urich, and Peter Parker. Pre-2007, Jonah's relationship with Spidey has been at times rocky, but at times chummy enough too, with whatever nerves for the most part he's got on Spidey, spurred up by Spidey's jokings on him to begin with.
    Last edited by ngroove; 05-20-2019 at 10:37 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    I am not a fan of BND and Slott but any retcon basically saying their stories didn't happen or so on has no justification to undo OMD.

OMD is wrong because it undid 20 stories in the form that readers knew them along with the characters and situations. Undoing the last 10 years even for the sake of bringing Pre-OMD back would feel just as unfair to the readers who like those stories.

The point is to reform the existing continuity and not overturn it. Try and bring it together and not create more divides.

BANNED

The ideal solution is to just say it was a mind-wipe, not time travel.

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    If One More Day - Let's say Civil War, for good measure - and many of the events that happened after it - no longer happened in continuity - I'd be fine with it. ....
    Granted, but I meant Marvel has to be completely sure this is the right decision for Spider-Man because if they, in essence, admit OMD was a mistake the audience (myself included) would be far less tolerant if say a few years from now they decide to again change things.
    Last edited by Celgress; 05-20-2019 at 11:10 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

The ideal solution is to just say it was a mind-wipe, not time travel.
    That would mean that Peter and MJ were married the whole time which would mean that Peter and MJ cheated on each other in the entire Post-OMD era. Peter had sexual relationships with six girls, while MJ had two guys. That would create more baggage and not less.

The actual mechanics of reversing OMD have never interested me. It basically amounts to Data Synch on your smartphones. Add your old memories, data, bookmarks into your new device. It's not hard and so on. Can be done in a single issue if it comes down to it. It depends on what editorial want. If they want Peter and MJ married, if they want to restore the memories and not have this hassle of create some other version of a story that happened during the marriage for them to refer to.

If you want Peter and MJ married again and want that to continue. Have the current Post-OMD Peter and MJ marry and then after they say "I do" and exchange the kisses, there's like a flash and both of them get the identical look in their eyes and "MJ I remember..." and she says, "Peter, yes. We did it. I said we'd find each other again." There done. That brings both continuities together. It's basically a "second first wedding". They go in thinking it's the first time but after it happens, it turns out to be the second time. This keeps Pre-OMD, BND, and everthing interim together. It's basically the best case.

In option two, if you want to deal with the fallout of OMD and restore the continuity and so on...just have Post-OMD Peter and MJ remember the original timeline where they were married and the choice they made in OMD and reflect on the fact that both of them have somehow been turned into entirely different people by that choice. Then have them confront Mephisto and so on. Then you have to have writers/editorial find a compelling reason for them to not renew your vows...which I am sure is the main hassle that is preventing a follow-up to OMD and OMIT because there's not any good way out of that and still have "Spider-Man be single". The only legit way I can think of is if Gwen Stacy comes back for real...and her resurrection being undone is the main reason Peter/MJ don't chance it since neither would want it to come at Gwen's expense.

They could do a reverse-OMIT, where Peter & MJ - as far as everyone remembers - were separated (or even - dare I say it - divorced) for the intervening period from OMD to whenever OMD's reversed until they got back together to get remarried/renew their vows.