Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Well, Marvel - or more specifically, Perlmutter and Brevoort - did it to themselves, didn't they? I get focussing on the IP whose rights you can exploit completely, but they didn't have to let the X-Men go to seed when they shifted focus.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Good grief, the actual numbers are going to break this board one way or another, aren't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Well, Marvel - or more specifically, Perlmutter and Brevoort - did it to themselves, didn't they? I get focussing on the IP whose rights you can exploit completely, but they didn't have to let the X-Men go to seed when they shifted focus.
    Paniccia nuked fully-owned properties before he nuked X-Books and then they gave him Star Wars.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

The O5 epitomized what's plagued the X-Men for like the last 15 years, redundancy and... REPETITION. All their fighting became too focused on, and seemed to revolve around, the fear & hatred of Mutants. Their constant & endless survivalist stories have become flavorless, played out, and finally WORN OUT, their welcome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Paniccia nuked fully-owned properties before he nuked X-Books and then they gave him Star Wars.
    They were hurtin' both creatively & commercially, before the Panic arrived. He just added fuel to the dumpster fire that was already there, and helped lead it to start burnin' out of control.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 04-28-2019 at 08:05 PM.

BANNED

The Mutants lost their way a long time ago, and are still wanderin' around the wilderness, in circles & totally aimless.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 04-28-2019 at 08:53 PM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    The O5 epitomized what's plagued the X-Men for like the last 15 years, redundancy and... REPETITION. All their fighting became too focused on, and seemed to revolve around, the fear & hatred of Mutants. Their constant & endless survivalist stories have become flavorless, played out, and finally WORN OUT, their welcome.
    And to think all that started because Quesada was mad at Morrison for going to DC...*sigh*...

Regarding the 05, the best example of that repetition was Tyke's arc, in which he comes to the present learning that Cyclops is EEEEEEEEEEEVIL...but then he and all the others realize that's absolute bullshit. Then after Secret Wars, he learns that Cyclops is EEEEEEEEVIL...and then he, and all the others, realize that's absolute bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Good grief, the actual numbers are going to break this board one way or another, aren't they?
    Hopefully we'll have gotten it out of our system by then.

BANNED

Creative bankruptcy.

X-Men of the last 1.5 decades = nuthin but cover songs, attempted new riffs on older, classic toons.

You can't truly move forward, if you're always lookin' behind ya. A moratorium NEEDS to be declared, on any/all eXtinction, time travel, and/or AU stories for the Mutants, for the foreseeable future.

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

It's small wonder that the sales for Age of X-Man are so low. It's an event with little action spread out over what, six books? Two of them didn't even make the top 100. Why would I want to shell out that much money for a filler story which is spread out and diluted over so many titles? And I'm not reading Uncanny at the moment because I am weary of the doom and gloom extinctions stories.

Honestly, Hickman's books better be worth the hype, or by the time MCU decides to add our Merry Mutants to their cinema agenda, the books might be the ones going extinct.

Creative bankruptcy.

X-Men of the last 1.5 decades = nuthin but cover songs, attempted new riffs on older, classic toons.

You can't truly move forward, if you're always lookin' behind ya. A moratorium NEEDS to be declared, on any/all eXtinction, time travel, and/or AU stories for the Mutants, for the foreseeable future.
    If you remove extinction threats, time travel, and AU stories, that basically just leaves space fights with the Shi'Ar as the only real X-story remaining. Usually involving everyone's favorite flaming avian.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Hopefully we'll have gotten it out of our system by then.
    'Hopefully'... as in 'not a chance in the world'?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Lady View Post
    ... Honestly, Hickman's books better be worth the hype, or by the time MCU decides to add our Merry Mutants to their cinema agenda, the books might be the ones going extinct.
    HOX & POX will be the only game in town shortly after they hit, so that should surely help. If they don't meet eXpectations tho, all bets are off, and the love affair won't last long. Hickman needs to WOW, but in a good way, not a Guggs' Gold one.

HOX & POX will be the only game in town shortly after they hit, so that should surely help. If they don't meet eXpectations tho, all bets are off, and the love affair won't last long. Hickman needs to WOW, but in a good way, not a Guggs' Gold one.
    Hickman's crazy good with grand ideas. I think it'll all just depend on how much story momentum he can build in those two first issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Lady View Post
    It's small wonder that the sales for Age of X-Man are so low. It's an event with little action spread out over what, six books? Two of them didn't even make the top 100. Why would I want to shell out that much money for a filler story which is spread out and diluted over so many titles? And I'm not reading Uncanny at the moment because I am weary of the doom and gloom extinctions stories.
    Eh. Everything is filler until the next Claremont/Morrison/Whedon comes along. I'm enjoying Age of X-Man for the more contemplative stories; if nothing else, it's a change of pace from events where plot is everything and character matters nothing. But yes, six miniseries and two bookends over five months with no explanation of why this event is even important is asking a lot of the audience and their wallets.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    If you remove extinction threats, time travel, and AU stories, that basically just leaves space fights with the Shi'Ar as the only real X-story remaining. Usually involving everyone's favorite flaming avian.
    That even fans feel this way, is symptomatic of the increasingly serious problems this franchise is facing. The characters & the base concept that bore them, have far more to offer than just the recycling & rehashing of proven plot points from yesteryear. And it's past time all those that claim they care about them, to realize that. Enough of the imitation, do somethin' new & you know, actually original.

The main thing to remember when doing so, as the most important guideline, is that the X-Men & Mutants should be fighting the good fight DESPITE being feared & hated... not just & only, because of it. Those themes need to be relegated & restored as the backdrop again, with the players pushed to the forefront in their place, so they can be focused upon... and flourish once more.