Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Seriously how can anyone support Donald Trump?

In this tread I am seriously asking this question. Seriously how can anyone support Donald Trump? In my opinion he is the worst US President of all time. He has an approval rating of 37%, but to me even that percentage is too high. I also see a lot of people cheering him at his rallies that US tax payers are paying for. Can anyone answer this question?

Well, the rallies are one thing.

But the inauguration showed that a lot of his supporters seem to be virtual nobodies.

aka bots.

Extraordinary Member

He's not even the worst of the last 3 Presidents. Bush was so much more worse and destructive it's not even funny.

-I firmly believe the Iraq War will go down as the worst foreign policy decision since Vietnam. That is on Bush.
    -The 2008/9 Recession was the worst economic collapse since the Great Depression. That happened under Bush and his silly tax cuts and not seeing the forest for the trees because his buddies were getting rich.
    -The worst attack on US Soil will probably go down as either Pearl Harbor or 9/11. 9/11 was largely on Bush ignoring his intelligence briefings.
    -From a freedom's standpoint the Patriot Act and the NSA's increased roles were some of the biggest breaches on personal liberties. Happened under Bush.
    -The response to Hurricane Katrina will go down as one of the worst handlings of a natural disaster in this countries history. This was again Bush.

Those were all hallmark mistakes that will go down as the worst of every major category in policy in this countries history.

Trump for as bad as he is, hasn't made a mistake as monumentally bad as any of those. He's worsened already bad situations. But the biggest downside to Trump is his rheotric and how it fuels hatred and how it is alienating allies. But I think that can be repaired by getting a grown up back in the room. Bush was a grown up making grown up mistakes that were costly.

As far as Trump, quite frankly a big reason is he dog whistles to a certain segment of the country that doesn't really get catered to. That's pretty much what it comes down to.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    He's not even the worst of the last 3 Presidents. Bush was so much more worse and destructive it's not even funny.

-I firmly believe the Iraq War will go down as the worst foreign policy decision since Vietnam. That is on Bush.
    -The 2008/9 Recession was the worst economic collapse since the Great Depression. That happened under Bush and his silly tax cuts and not seeing the forest for the trees because his buddies were getting rich.
    -The worst attack on US Soil will probably go down as either Pearl Harbor or 9/11. 9/11 was largely on Bush ignoring his intelligence briefings.
    -From a freedom's standpoint the Patriot Act and the NSA's increased roles were some of the biggest breaches on personal liberties. Happened under Bush.
    -The response to Hurricane Katrina will go down as one of the worst handlings of a natural disaster in this countries history. This was again Bush.

Those were all hallmark mistakes that will go down as the worst of every major category in policy in this countries history.

Trump for as bad as he is, hasn't made a mistake as monumentally bad as any of those. He's worsened already bad situations. But the biggest downside to Trump is his rheotric and how it fuels hatred and how it is alienating allies. But I think that can be repaired by getting a grown up back in the room. Bush was a grown up making grown up mistakes that were costly.

As far as Trump, quite frankly a big reason is he dog whistles to a certain segment of the country that doesn't really get catered to. That's pretty much what it comes down to.
    The Deadly Consequences of Dog-Whistle Politics

Trump's dog whistles have been cited as factor in the rise or White Supremacist terrorism the world over. Yesterday's shooting was just another example. People are dying because of this. And you think it's not so bad?
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Empty is thy hand!

His supporters enjoy that he "triggers" groups and people that they've already been trained to demonize by right wing media over the past three decades.

They also recognize that he has power over shaping the Supreme Court, which opens the door to changing laws they don't agree with like abortion and minority rights. The ends justify the means as far as the right wing is concerned.

Another thing in Trump's "favor" these days is that there seem to be quite a few far-left politicians trying to become the voice of the Democrats these days, so people in-between the two extremes may have to lean towards the right if they are more unhappy with the far left.

You have to separate what Trump says from what he actually does as they are two different things. Policy wise he isn't nearly as bad as the unhinged on the left make him out to be. Its what he says and how he says it that makes so many on the left get unhinged but thats also what many like about him too because they see it as for once a president is being honest instead of using political doublespeak or shifting their views with the wind to please their audience as recent candidates like Hilary Clinton and Mitt Romney would do.

And as KnightoftheLake said Trump is nowhere near as bad as George W Bush.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The Deadly Consequences of Dog-Whistle Politics

Trump's dog whistles have been cited as factor in the rise or White Supremacist terrorism the world over. Yesterday's shooting was just another example. People are dying because of this. And you think it's not so bad?
    I think he's just saying not so bad as Dubya - the consequences of his presidency are still being felt today.

How long the consequences of Trump will be felt is up for debate - I think the alienation of allies and cozying up to traditional adversaries will be felt long after he leaves office, and his turning the wheels of government into a force of political retribution will as well.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Trump's only been in office for just over two years but what he has done is far more insidious. So putting children in cages after separating them from their mothers is not so bad? Trump and those he put in place at FEMA have ignored Puerto Rico (and so has the press for the most part) after tossing them a few paper towels. He's never spoken out about the Russian interference during the 2016 election. He tries to find a way to punish those who don't support him blindly. He gives credence to crack pot issues like the Deep State and discredits legitimate journalism as Fake News. He still hasn't directly spoken out about the white nationalists in Charlottesville. Just the other day and insists they were only there because they admired Robert E. Lee. I don't recall any chanting about Robert E Lee by the Tiki Torch marchers

I'm in agreement that the actions of W are far worse than what Trump has done (so far.)

That said, while I don't Trump is the worst president in terms of actions/accomplishments. I do believe he has a strong case for most incompetent/corrupt
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Fantastic Member

I have no issues with Trump!! I support Trump!!!

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Trump appealed to the poorly educated, to the racists, the xenophobes, the misogynists, the downtrodden white folks unable to handle or accept no longer at the top of the societal ladder. Trump appealed to hypocritical bible thumpers, even though he possesses very little to no morality and singlehandedly broke most of the Ten Commandments simply because he promised to kill Roe v. Wade if elected. While Dubya has been an overall worse president (ignoring warnings that led to 9/11, Hurricane Katrina, the Iraq War), the negative effect Trump will have on our democracy, our standing in the world and the strained, if not broken relationships with our global allies will be felt long after he’s mercifully gone from office.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Trump is hanging by a thread, the only thing standing between him and Impeachment is Mitch McConnell. If a less Trump friendly Republican was in charge, the Senate might very well follow the lead of the House. And the House will begin the Impeachment process this year, I guarantee it.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Trump's only been in office for just over two years but what he has done is far more insidious. So putting children in cages after separating them from their mothers is not so bad? Trump and those he put in place at FEMA have ignored Puerto Rico (and so has the press for the most part) after tossing them a few paper towels. He's never spoken out about the Russian interference during the 2016 election. He tries to find a way to punish those who don't support him blindly. He gives credence to crack pot issues like the Deep State and discredits legitimate journalism as Fake News. He still hasn't directly spoken out about the white nationalists in Charlottesville. Just the other day and insists they were only there because they admired Robert E. Lee. I don't recall any chanting about Robert E Lee by the Tiki Torch marchers
    No one said that putting children in cages "...isn't so bad." A few have said that some of the things George W. Bush did were even worse.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Trump is hanging by a thread, the only thing standing between him and Impeachment is Mitch McConnell. If a less Trump friendly Republican was in charge, the Senate might very well follow the lead of the House. And the House will begin the Impeachment process this year, I guarantee it.
    It’s as I’ve said, Trump is Turtle Boy’s useful idiot for stacking the courts with right wing ideologues, and he’ll keep the Orange Menace around until that usefulness has been exhausted and not before.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!