Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post

I'd be willing to make that bet too.

My big takeaway regarding the right in the age of Trump is that they never believed in the things they've said they do to in the past. They're clearly not opposed to big government, they don't really give a damn about the constitution and they certainly don't act like people who hold conservative values. They plunge the country into debt to give money to their corporate criminal friends while pretending to represent the middle class. They purge voters of color to ensure their victory (looking at you Georgia). They 're happy ending important long term relationships with traditional allies. The divide isn't between Republican and Democrat. It's about whether you want an Oligarchy or a Democracy. And I am dreadfully concerned about the 2020 election.
    They are opposed to 'those people' getting 'unearned benefits' of said government.

Basically, they want a big government that only white conservatives benefit from and only non-whites and liberals pay for.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Basically, they want a big government that only white conservatives benefit from and only non-whites and liberals pay for.
    Yeah, basically. Straight up want a country of lords and serfs.[/COLOR]
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post

Yeah, basically. Straight up want a country of lords and serfs.

I wish the answer were that simple. It never is.

There is absolutely prejudice and double standards driving some of the divisions. There's definitely panic at the perception of privilege eroding (whether it is or not). There is for sure panic at the not-illusory sense that the rural communities that have been home to many for generations are being smothered by ever more efficient supply chains and increasingly concentrated wealth. There is 100% pointing any blame in the wrong direction.

All that said, I'll repeat, if Progressives can't find some some way to non-condescendingly communicate what matters to the Rural voter, Progressives are very likely to spend the second Wednesday of November wondering what went wrong again.

On another note, I agree that there is a slice that do want an absolute aristocracy. They inhabit the upper 1/2% of the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I wish the answer were that simple. It never is.

There is absolutely prejudice and double standards driving some of the divisions. There's definitely panic at the perception of privilege eroding (whether it is or not). There is for sure panic at the not-illusory sense that the rural communities that have been home to many for generations are being smothered by ever more efficient supply chains and increasingly concentrated wealth. There is 100% pointing any blame in the wrong direction.

All that said, I'll repeat, if Progressives can't find some some way to non-condescendingly communicate what matters to the Rural voter, Progressives are very likely to spend the second Wednesday of November wondering what went wrong again.

On another note, I agree that there is a slice that do want an absolute aristocracy. They inhabit the upper 1/2% of the economy.
    Just once, I'd like to see the demands put on 'progressives' to 'explain' and 'reach out' and 'show empathy' placed on 'rural voters'.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    Just once, I'd like to see the demands put on 'progressives' to 'explain' and 'reach out' and 'show empathy' placed on 'rural voters'.
    That'll happen when the rural voters don't have more power in elections.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    That'll happen when the rural voters don't have more power in elections.
    Fair point, but I think it's more complicated than that. There's a paternalistic impulse that strips agency away from rural voters behind a lot of these conversations that one must be careful of, as well as centering of a particular kind of white ruralness that must be 'reached' and that asks little of those who need to be 'reached' in the first place.

Astonishing Member

Fair point, but I think it's more complicated than that. There's a paternalistic impulse that strips agency away from rural voters behind a lot of these conversations that one must be careful of, as well as centering of a particular kind of white ruralness that must be 'reached' and that asks little of those who need to be 'reached' in the first place.
    My angle was why people go after them over progressive voters. Some of this has to do with the country's founding as they viewed land as more important than people. It's incredibly difficult to fix for the Democrats, since it'd require something like an amendment.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 02-01-2020 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Doesn't really matter what Progressives do or don't do as long as FOX News tells rural voters what to think.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Boisterously Confused

For now, rural voters have what Progressives want: enough electoral votes and senate seats to shift policy. Rural voters don't think Progressives have anything the rural voters want in return. If Progressives want to implement their policies (assuming we can even come up with a coherent list there of) there are only two ways to get it it:
    • Convince rural voters that Progressive policies benefit the rural voter in a way that isn't condescending
    • Subjugate Rural America in another Civil War

I don't mention scrapping the Electoral College because I don't think it can be done without one of the previous two, most likely, the second.

ETA: I suppose there is a third way. An economic meltdown on the order of The Great Depression that both defangs the extremely wealthy and makes voters utterly desperate for a solution.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 02-01-2020 at 01:11 PM.

Even if Trump is acquitted after impeachment, there is still a chance he will lose in November. Maybe some Republicans will stay at home and not take part in voting.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Even if Trump is acquitted after impeachment, there is still a chance he will lose in November. Maybe some Republicans will stay at home and not take part in voting.
    Replace "if" with "when." Something would have to gone incredibly wrong for Trump to get within spitting distance of getting removed from office with the Republicans having the Senate.

I support Trump because he is a nationalist instead of a globalist. And when we see the witch hunt from MSM, it is clear they have their own agenda and has allied with the extreme left. When Anti-fa goes berserk, and people can not even wear an innocent cap, these are all symptoms that there is something is wrong in society, and Trump exposes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Banner View Post
    I support Trump because he is a nationalist instead of a globalist. And when we see the witch hunt from MSM, it is clear they have their own agenda and has allied with the extreme left. When Anti-fa goes berserk, and people can not even wear an innocent cap, these are all symptoms that there is something is wrong in society, and Trump exposes it.
    it would be an "innocent" cap if it were not associated with a hate-monger with an admitted white nationalist as a political advisor. i don't care for Anti-fa. but they are a direct result of this...
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 02-04-2020 at 07:25 AM.

You forgot the word "White".
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

They can always wear their white hoods or patriotic Chinese made red MAGA hats.