Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    There is also the fact that people are racist and ethnically bigoted but they don't want to perceive themselves as such. So when Trump takes a minor issue like border security and makes it the main issue of his whole presidency, suddenly it becomes some sort of major issue because these non-white people are coming into the country and taking jobs none of them would ever take to begin with. Also, while harping on how he's an outsider, Trump is a master politician and understands as few ever have the art or power of the lie. People wonder how he can spout blatant lies that even the worst/ best politicians would balk at. It's because he understands how to present it and that it doesn't matter whether it's a lie or not, only that it's what people want to believe.
    When the Clintons said the exact same things about the border as Trump is saying now were they being racist or is that somehow different because they aren't Trump?

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c47745...on-immigration

Actual transcript from Clinton's state of union speech:

All Americans, not only in the States most heavily affected but in every place in this country, are rightly disturbed by the large numbers of illegal aliens entering our country. The jobs they hold might otherwise be held by citizens or legal immigrants. The public service they use impose burdens on our taxpayers. That's why our administration has moved aggressively to secure our borders more by hiring a record number of new border guards, by deporting twice as many criminal aliens as ever before, by cracking down on illegal hiring, by barring welfare benefits to illegal aliens. In the budget I will present to you, we will try to do more to speed the deportation of illegal aliens who are arrested for crimes, to better identify illegal aliens in the workplace as recommended by the commission headed by former Congresswoman Barbara Jordan. We are a nation of immigrants. But we are also a nation of laws. It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years, and we must do more to stop it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    When the Clintons said the exact same things about the border as Trump is saying now were they being racist or is that somehow different because they aren't Trump?

One thing that makes Clinton's and Trump's a lot different is the language.

In my opinion, Trump jumpstarted this whole thing in a way different way, when he said "someone's doing the raping." And of course, there's the methods and the lengths that different administrations have gone to.

Plus Obama was the deporter-in-chief--he already fixed all this. No need for Trump.

Trump is getting re-elected. Unemployment and crime rates are at 50-year lows. Inflation does not exist. Wages are rising. Companies are making record profits. Minorities are employed. ISIS is defeated. We are talking to North Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Trump is getting re-elected. Unemployment and crime rates are at 50-year lows. Inflation does not exist. Wages are rising. Companies are making record profits. Minorities are employed. ISIS is defeated. We are talking to North Korea.
    That's getting played by North Korea more than anything else.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Thanks Obama!
    The Cover Contest Weekly Winners ThreadSo much winning!!

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“It’s your party and you can cry if you want to.” - Captain Europe

I think Bush caused more damage to people around the world, but Trump caused more damage to the US and may have been in power just at the right time to make climate change irreversible, so I think he might be the worst after all.

Trump is a vector for an insanity virus. If you don't have immunity and you get too close, you might get infected then pass that infection to others...

It's the only explination I have for what is going on in Washington D.C.
    Last edited by Tami; 04-29-2019 at 07:34 PM.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

He has a catchy slogan, knows how to rile people up and understands how media and the press works.

Reality star become politician.

At least thats my theory.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post

Pretty much what ZombieHavoc said. Clinton also played to what people wanted to hear but he didn't harp and harp and harp on illegal immigration and he didn't present it in a way that was playing on ethnic bigotries and fears probably because it would have backfired as a Democrat but Trump knows exactly what crowd he is playing to.
    Power with Girl is better.

The apprentice fooled a lot of people into believing that he's a competent businessman, he isn't. I don't think he ever was.

A better question is why are they always so mad? Even Obama pointed that out once.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    He's not even the worst of the last 3 Presidents. Bush was so much more worse and destructive it's not even funny.

-I firmly believe the Iraq War will go down as the worst foreign policy decision since Vietnam. That is on Bush.
    -The 2008/9 Recession was the worst economic collapse since the Great Depression. That happened under Bush and his silly tax cuts and not seeing the forest for the trees because his buddies were getting rich.
    -The worst attack on US Soil will probably go down as either Pearl Harbor or 9/11. 9/11 was largely on Bush ignoring his intelligence briefings.
    -From a freedom's standpoint the Patriot Act and the NSA's increased roles were some of the biggest breaches on personal liberties. Happened under Bush.
    -The response to Hurricane Katrina will go down as one of the worst handlings of a natural disaster in this countries history. This was again Bush.

Those were all hallmark mistakes that will go down as the worst of every major category in policy in this countries history.

Trump for as bad as he is, hasn't made a mistake as monumentally bad as any of those. He's worsened already bad situations. But the biggest downside to Trump is his rheotric and how it fuels hatred and how it is alienating allies. But I think that can be repaired by getting a grown up back in the room. Bush was a grown up making grown up mistakes that were costly.

As far as Trump, quite frankly a big reason is he dog whistles to a certain segment of the country that doesn't really get catered to. That's pretty much what it comes down to.
    Many of these things were Bush's response to things that happened while he was President, but were not a direct result of him being President. He might be judged harshly for how he handled them, but I highly doubt Trump would have handled them in a better manner. In fact, I can see these things being far more disastrous had he been President at the time! Imagine the mass murders of Muslims by white nationalists that would have occurred after a 9/11 event. Imagine no deals being considered that would have helped get us out of a recession because Trump was too busy throwing a fit that things weren't going his way. Imagine Trump's response to Katrina consisting of throwing paper towels to the crowds of those in need of help.
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Funniest post in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    He has a catchy slogan, knows how to rile people up and understands how media and the press works.
    He doesn't even understand how umbrellas work. Or punctuation.

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    The apprentice fooled a lot of people into believing that he's a competent businessman, he isn't. I don't think he ever was.

A better question is why are they always so mad? Even Obama pointed that out once.
    And they totally proved him wrong by, predictably, getting mad about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    ...he speaks to issues that are not being addressed by current and former politicians...
    He makes **** up for his deplorable followers to get mad about.

And I am working class, so don't come at me with that 'class division' bullshit.