Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Villainy Inc

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What about mayfly?
    Yes she works too

IF they did have a headquarters where would it be

Spectacular Member

Flash has the "Rogues", Superman has (or used to have) a "Revenge Squad", so I could see a group of Diana's enemies joining together as "Villainy Inc." to take her on. Maybe the lesser-powered villains who don't have the clout of Cheetah or Circe, and believe that by combining their forces they could pose a challenge to her. And they could be founded/led by Doctor Domino!

1774607-205c.jpg

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    Flash has the "Rogues", Superman has (or used to have) a "Revenge Squad", so I could see a group of Diana's enemies joining together as "Villainy Inc." to take her on. Maybe the lesser-powered villains who don't have the clout of Cheetah or Circe, and believe that by combining their forces they could pose a challenge to her. And they could be founded/led by Doctor Domino!

1774607-205c.jpg
    I'm curious. What are the powers of Dr.Domino?

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    I'm curious. What are the powers of Dr.Domino?
    Oh this guy was from the beginning of the UN arc. Hes supposed to be a mad scientist who was getting his hands on the United Nations secret formula for a synthasized super plague. The central most interesting thing about Doctor Domino by a long shot was that he wasn't wearing a mask. His head is straight up an actual domino piece. Its never explained why.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Oh this guy was from the beginning of the UN arc. Hes supposed to be a mad scientist who was getting his hands on the United Nations secret formula for a synthasized super plague. The central most interesting thing about Doctor Domino by a long shot was that he wasn't wearing a mask. His head is straight up an actual domino piece. Its never explained why.
    This is terrific and he needs to come back immediately.
    Never explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Never explain it.
    If Wonder Woman ever got another tv show I wish it would be as weird as this Doom Patrol show we have right now. Wonder Woman going full weird would be awesome.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Never explain it.

Yes! I've been advocating for his return for a while. He's just a one-off bad guy from the Bronze Age (WW #205 - the one with the infamous cover of her tied to a missile with her lasso) who never made another appearance since then, but he's so bizarre and ridiculous that if a good writer put in the effort, I think they could turn him into credible thorn in WW's side and would offer a much-needed break from all the mythological characters.

Another character in that same vein would be Warhead from WW #251 - the one where the red-headed Orana (original inspiration for Artemis?) takes over as Wonder Woman for one issues before she's killed off. He had a ridiculous name and look, but again, if someone would take the time to develop his backstory and motivations, he could join the good Doctor Domino in Villainy Inc. My thoughts on bringing back Villainy Inc. would be to give these B, C and D-list villains from the Bronze and Silver Age a chance for renewed use and development as a combined criminal syndicate. Just off the top of my head, I think the roster could be made up of Dr. Domino (the leader), Warhead, The Gaucho (WW #264), The Angle Man... and that's just off the top of my head. If I took time to do some research I could come up with others.

Are we dead set on Villainy Inc. being an all-female team like the original? I was thinking we could flip it and have VI be an all male group and you could keep Godwatch and have it made up of your more heavy-hitting female characters like Dr. Cyber, Dr. Poison, Giganta, Veronica Cale and (if they ever decide to bring her back) Clea. Just some random thoughts.

In a way, I think the current dominant form of storytelling in comics works against most villains. Back in the Gold and Silver Ages, a normal story was 12 pages (circa 100 frames). Nowadays the stories are spread out over several issues, often reaching 60–100 pages (circa 300–500 frames) over three to five issues. That meant the stories then needed that constant stream of new villains. Nowadays, with far fewer stories (and all the reboots) you need far fewer villains.

Which arguably was something that Ostrander benefited from when he pitched Suicide Squad.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    IF they did have a headquarters where would it be
    An office building in a magical dimension

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post

1774607-205c.jpg
    I like this concept. (And would love to see Doctor Domino return.)

Besides enjoying The IADC's concept for them, my development of Villainy Inc. sees them as having a long secret history in the DCU, that only recently gets unearthed by Diana.

I confess id kinda wanna combine them with the Cabal if possible.
    The Cabal for those not up to date on obscure late 70s-early 80s WW, was this group of assassins and hitmen for hire who would kill people for the right price.

The whole thing got weirdly inconsistant though from retconning it to establishing Tracy Morgan led it (the guy who went from working in the UN to being retconned as a military agent to now being retconned as a supervillain) to establishing the group was in reality controlled by Doctor Cyber. To establishing it was in reality controlled by Kobra for some reason?

But taking something like that and making it an arm of a much bigger villainy inc would be a nice bit of recycling I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    But taking something like that and making it an arm of a much bigger villainy inc would be a nice bit of recycling I think.
    At the same time, I'm more than a bit sceptical to introducing more new groups and finding there are more shadowy groups or big bads behind them all the time. To me, it's narratively lazy, reduces the characterisation of everyone involved, and lessens the effective scope of the storytelling, especially when it comes to motivations.

Which is probably why campaigns like Year of the Villain doesn't excite me in the slightest.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    At the same time, I'm more than a bit sceptical to introducing more new groups and finding there are more shadowy groups or big bads behind them all the time. To me, it's narratively lazy, reduces the characterisation of everyone involved, and lessens the effective scope of the storytelling, especially when it comes to motivations.

Which is probably why campaigns like Year of the Villain doesn't excite me in the slightest.
    True, but on the other hand its a group that has not been seen nor used since the 80s, and the thing that made it stand out was that there was this diverse range of assassins with weird powers. So im just pondering some way to modernize the thing to relevancy.