Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Villainy Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    True, but on the other hand its a group that has not been seen nor used since the 80s, and the thing that made it stand out was that there was this diverse range of assassins with weird powers. So im just pondering some way to modernize the thing to relevancy.
    Understandable.

I think the main problem here is that it's a group of assassins, and the primary way you can use them is to have them kill a bunch of redshirts. Which first runs into the issue with killing people in superhero comics, second more points to something in the detective vein, and thus more suited to Batman or Black Canary or even Plastic Man.

On the other hand, Fontana used an assassin squad in her run, which worked reasonably well, even if the actual arc wasn't centered on that group of hitwomen.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Understandable.

I think the main problem here is that it's a group of assassins, and the primary way you can use them is to have them kill a bunch of redshirts. Which first runs into the issue with killing people in superhero comics, second more points to something in the detective vein, and thus more suited to Batman or Black Canary or even Plastic Man.

On the other hand, Fontana used an assassin squad in her run, which worked reasonably well, even if the actual arc wasn't centered on that group of hitwomen.
    While a group of assassins like that could make sense well as a detective story, the approach used originally with the Cartel was actually rather sensible. Rather than being a group aimed at killing Wonder Woman, they were going after high profile targets like world leaders and ambassadors, with Wonder Womans true effort being to protect others and when alot of these assassins were good at handling things indirectly.

Like El Guacho with his army of exploding robot Gnu and love of cornering his prey in a game of cat and mouse before ending them with electrified bolas.
    Or Bushmaster who flew around on a hover glider and used a mind control helmet to make others carry out his assasinations for him when he wasn't going all Kraven the hunter on people.

Fontanas collection of assassins also made for an interesting scene, showing that teamwork can make a group of villains who would otherwise not be as big a deal into a dangerous threat for those around Diana.

What it be wrong with having a idea of the villiany inc group actually being friends with each other? I mean when you think about it's Diana fault they come together and maybe using her message of sisterhood they come together. I mean should VIlliany still be a all female cast but there are other groups to full the role ?

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What it be wrong with having a idea of the villiany inc group actually being friends with each other? I mean when you think about it's Diana fault they come together and maybe using her message of sisterhood they come together. I mean should VIlliany still be a all female cast but there are other groups to full the role ?
    I mean any idea is fine if you can find an interesting use for it. The only objection I personally have is the name. 'Villany Inc' would suggest their in some way trying to make a business out of their villainy. With Eviless who was big on the whole slave trade thing, that involved (aside from revenge against Wonder Woman) pillaging the island of its riches, and selling the Amazons into slavery.

As for a friendly healthy sisterhood who comes together because they all hate Wonder Woman but really get along...Well if thats what you want to do, go for it.

I mean outside of their hate for Diana, what should make them unique in DIana's rogue gallery or any Superhero rogue gallery in DC?

I mean outside of their hate for Diana, what should make them unique in DIana's rogue gallery or any Superhero rogue gallery in DC?
    Corporate greed. There are rich villains out there like Lex Luthor. And greed motivated villains like the Flash Rogues. But there are no villains whose entire enterprise is built around monetizing villainy. I mean, for Lex he is a businessman who makes a host of inventions and builds up this business empire....But what his company actually does is an afterthough and more an excuse to finance his efforts to kill Superman while protecting him from any legal reprecussions.

But we don't have a true group representing organized crime. I mean sure theres the league of assassins, and that leviathan group which is essentially the league of assassins on steroids, but there is no 'kingpin of crime' really in the DC universe barring a few characters over the past decades like Angle-Man, Bane, and Penguin who have made efforts to achieve it but have always fallen short.

If you want to make them a supervillain group that are adversaries to Wonder Woman, play up their vices, play up their views. Establish them to represent the lowest basest levels of humanity which runs counter to the good within people which Wonder Woman is fighting to see win out.

Should they been at first using their business as a front?

With some of the ideas shared here, I'd be okay with Wonder Woman having multiple, different organizations opposing her.

I kind of like Saturna (and I think of her as a different character than Eviless) and her Crimson Men as an adversary of ARGUS.

Godwatch has been okay, but I need them to do more to be truly exhilarating.

Villainy Inc. needs a spot because of its place in comics history and its uniqueness in being an all-woman team. This is one spot where a lot of Diana's foes can meet, develop relationships, and try to destroy Diana and the Amazons. I see Eviless leading this and it's where we'll learn a lot of her backstory and her "court's" backstories.

In my Wonder Woman Series Bible Thingee, I'm retconning Doctor Cyber a bit to include her having a sinister espionage/terrorist cabal, much like when she was first introduced and somewhat Bondian. She's getting her powersuit back too and some sinister supporting staff and sidekicks.

I'm also developing the return of the Academy of Arch-Villains, with a very specific purpose in mind.

Diana also had a group called SCYTHE that appeared once in the Bronze Age (IIRC.) Something might be done with that name at some point in time.

Anyway, I get tired of saying this, but I believe Wonder Woman is big enough to handle multiple groups with different reasons for being opposing her and perhap, at times, in conflict with one another.

It's my calling lately to always think bigger, rather than smaller, when it comes to Wonder Woman and all the different types of stories or collections of foes who see her as an obstacle to their goals.

I agree with having Villainy Inc being a mainly female group. I mean what’s the biggest slap in the face of the people she tried to help. They agree with her to be a sisterhood but in a different sense. Once again I do think they should actually like it each other. It would really change some of the villainy groups in the comic of dc

With Evilness and Saturna they can even sisters. One is facing more on the intergalactic missions. The other is getting slaves or drugs to help them take over planets

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    With some of the ideas shared here, I'd be okay with Wonder Woman having multiple, different organizations opposing her.

I kind of like Saturna (and I think of her as a different character than Eviless) and her Crimson Men as an adversary of ARGUS.

Godwatch has been okay, but I need them to do more to be truly exhilarating.

Villainy Inc. needs a spot because of its place in comics history and its uniqueness in being an all-woman team. This is one spot where a lot of Diana's foes can meet, develop relationships, and try to destroy Diana and the Amazons. I see Eviless leading this and it's where we'll learn a lot of her backstory and her "court's" backstories.

In my Wonder Woman Series Bible Thingee, I'm retconning Doctor Cyber a bit to include her having a sinister espionage/terrorist cabal, much like when she was first introduced and somewhat Bondian. She's getting her powersuit back too and some sinister supporting staff and sidekicks.

I'm also developing the return of the Academy of Arch-Villains, with a very specific purpose in mind.

Diana also had a group called SCYTHE that appeared once in the Bronze Age (IIRC.) Something might be done with that name at some point in time.

Anyway, I get tired of saying this, but I believe Wonder Woman is big enough to handle multiple groups with different reasons for being opposing her and perhap, at times, in conflict with one another.

It's my calling lately to always think bigger, rather than smaller, when it comes to Wonder Woman and all the different types of stories or collections of foes who see her as an obstacle to their goals.
    This all sounds quite fascinating. I would love to see the Academy of Arch Villains again with their quirky concept.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I believe Wonder Woman is big enough to handle multiple groups with different reasons for being opposing her and perhap, at times, in conflict with one another.

If only the people writing the actual Wonder Woman comic book thought this way.

Okay we have VIlliany Inc and Godwatch. Anymore groups you guys can think of?

Okay we have VIlliany Inc and Godwatch. Anymore groups you guys can think of?
    The Cabal
    Ares family
    Angle-mans gang from the silver age

Should Eviless and Saturna be two different characters? For anyone who is wondering Eviless was first called Saturna then eviless

Should Eviless and Saturna be two different characters? For anyone who is wondering Eviless was first called Saturna then eviless
    True. That said though, the modern day Saturna is a necromancer from Earth who works for an organization working to prepare for the red skies as villainously as possible.

Meanwhile the golden age Eviless was a satanist from Saturn with the psychic power of 'Ignore me!' and was a slave trader with a love for money and revenge.

Very different concept