View Poll Results: Who would you like to see has Hawkman's love interest?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kendra Saunders (Hawkgirl)

13 12.26%
  • Shayera Thal (Hawkwoman)

57 53.77%
  • Madame Xanadu

4 3.77%
  • Another superhero entirely

5 4.72%
  • An existing supporting character

0 0%
  • A new supporting character

1 0.94%
  • Hawkman doesn't need a love interest. His mace is already more than enough for him.

8 7.55%
  • Dick Grayson (Plot twist!)

18 16.98%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Preference for Hawkman's love interest?

Hawkman and Hawkgirl were the longstanding default for decades, but after so many years of separation and "will they or won't they" meandering it's become increasingly debatable. Figured I'd see where the consensus lies now.

Shayera's my first choice. Personally, I prefer her to Kendra as a character anyway, but I also think she and Carter would play off of one another better, too. And considering her recent appearance in Justice League I think it would make sense for her to seek out Carter to try and get some answers about herself and her history.

It would also be nice to see them start out as just colleagues trying to get to the bottom of the mystery that is their past and slowly developing a relationship over the course of time. We haven't really seen that with regards to the Hawks since Hawkworld (and therein never really reached its climax, either). Their romance has typically either been a staple set up from the beginning or, more recently, a foregone conclusion written into the origin of the characters. I really like the idea of seeing them get to know and falling for one another organically in spite of their shared past, rather than because of it.

Just my two cents. Where do you stand on the matter, though? Is it time for the Hawks to move beyond one another? Or does Hawkman even need a lover interest at all? Interested to see what others think.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Hawkgirl or bust. It doesn't really matter to me which variant it is, but Hawkman and Hawkgirl is the OTP of their mythos for me.

I just have a really hard time imagining them with anybody else on a long-term basis.

Poll and all these retcons are absolute garbage.

Where is the original Golden age Shiera Sanders (Hall).

Reinvent(reincarnate)/re-brand them all you want, it's all good, the story allows for it, in the end it's her, that's who he should end up with.

If you want to combine her with with Shayera Hol (who goes by Shiera Hall), also ridiculously left off the poll.
    And make it a cyclical reincarnation, that'd be great too, but these characters end up together, they are the definitive literal embodiment of soulmates of the DCU.

Anything that says otherwise is a complete betrayal of the characters.
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-28-2019 at 04:11 PM.

Voted Madame Xanadu for the hell of it. Why not, give Hawkman someone else for once. If Kendra can have a thing with Martian Manhunter, why not have Carter fool around with Xanadu for a while.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Voted Madame Xanadu for the hell of it. Why not, give Hawkman someone else for once. If Kendra can have a thing with Martian Manhunter, why not have Carter fool around with Xanadu for a while.
    Sighhhhh ...

I'm too old for it, but now I must fight you.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Sighhhhh ...

I'm too old for it, but now I must fight you.

BANNED

Hawk girl sorry John Stewart fans

Hawkgril. Shay or Kendra or whatever the current reincarnation is calling herself.

This is too big a chunk of Hawk mythos to change for anything beyond the short-term. Fans wont stand for it, and before long creators will want to play in the classic sandbox.

It's little different from trying to get Clark Kent or Lois Lane dating someone else. No one will take it seriously and it'll ultimately fail for that reason if nothing else.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Birdman!

The ideal would be Hawkgirl, but since she is with Martian Manhunter I voted for Xanadu. Venditti is using Xanadu as a supporting character and she have a cool dynamic with Carter, I mean, she probably met him is several of his lifes and can see the lilttle differences in each one.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post

Birdman!
    Not without a fight from Prince Vultan ...!

Last edited by Güicho; 04-28-2019 at 05:11 PM.

Mighty Member

I also voted for Xanadu I love Hawkman/Hawkwoman(or girl as the case may be) but DC has shown ZERO interest in having those two together. Carter and Nimue have had good interactions in the most recent Hawkman book.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Shayera please. Carter's interactions with Kendra have always seemed awkward to me.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Hawkgirl or bust. It doesn't really matter to me which variant it is, but Hawkman and Hawkgirl is the OTP of their mythos for me.

I just have a really hard time imagining them with anybody else on a long-term basis.
    Totally agree. I think I was the most vocal on these boards way back when Meltzer was trying to hook Kendra up with Roy. When the Justice League issue landed that intimated Hawkman may or may not have had a fling with Power Girl, I was beside myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Poll and all these retcons are absolute garbage.

Where is the original Golden age Shiera Sanders (Hall).
    I thought about including her, but I feel there's zero chance the-powers-that-be will allow 3 Hawkgirls to fly around simultaneously. I'm actually pretty grateful they brought Shayera back at all even; Thal, Hol, or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Hawkgril. Shay or Kendra or whatever the current reincarnation is calling herself.

This is too big a chunk of Hawk mythos to change for anything beyond the short-term. Fans wont stand for it, and before long creators will want to play in the classic sandbox.

It's little different from trying to get Clark Kent or Lois Lane dating someone else. No one will take it seriously and it'll ultimately fail for that reason if nothing else.
    As a fan of the characters, I completely agree. But--and I say this regrettably--Hawkman and Hawkgirl are not Superman and Lois to most fans. After JLU especially, there are a large number of readers out there who I think would be just as happy to see them apart.

Again, I'm a traditionalist, and the Hawks being together is one of their most appealing aspects to me. But it's been so long since they've been portrayed as a given tandem, I'm not so sure folks like us are in the majority anymore.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

Extraordinary Member

To me, Hawkman and Hawkgirl(woman) go together. If they're going to revamp Hawkman, then I need them to also revamp Hawkgirl. It's just that simple for me.

I've gone on record that I like the Golden Age Hawks, but I grew up with Katar and Shayera Hol. These are the Hawks I want. But regardless, I want some form of BOTH.