View Poll Results: Who would you like to see has Hawkman's love interest?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kendra Saunders (Hawkgirl)

13 12.26%
  • Shayera Thal (Hawkwoman)

57 53.77%
  • Madame Xanadu

4 3.77%
  • Another superhero entirely

5 4.72%
  • An existing supporting character

0 0%
  • A new supporting character

1 0.94%
  • Hawkman doesn't need a love interest. His mace is already more than enough for him.

8 7.55%
  • Dick Grayson (Plot twist!)

18 16.98%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Retired

This thread is longer than the other one, so I'll reply to this one, although it's interesting both topic titles refer to a "love interest" which makes the other person the object of Hawkman's interest. I would not have put it that way.

With the Egyptians, they both love each other and it's that love and spiritual connection that survives through all their lives. They are each other's soul mate. It's not a matter of Carter Hall having an interest in Shiera Sanders--they are destined to be together. It's like they really have no choice--something bigger than them keeps throwing them together.

With original Katar Hol and Shayera Thal, they are already married when we first meet them. When they use the Asorbascon it's almost a mystical experience as they both access the world memory together. They are one of those couples from Gardner Fox who are happily married and no one else can separate them. Mavis Trent has an interest in Carter (Katar) but he merely tolerates her and Shiera (Shayera) is simply amused. Their marriage is solid as a rock.

It's really only the Hawkworld retcon of Katar and Shayera where it's uncertain if they really want to be together romantically. That's the one situation where Katar could be said to have a love interest in his partner--and same goes for Shayera.

Incredible Member

I’ve always preferred the golden age Hawks. Just a personal preference.

That said, I picked Shayera for the reason that I really like Kendra as an independent character. I honestly liked her almost pairing with Roy Harper during their shared time in JLA.

Astonishing Member

Dick Grayson already has too many. No, just no.

NOTE: This thread was begun back in late April 2019.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    With 98 people having voted, results at present are:
    * Shayera Thal (Hawkwoman) = 50 votes
    * Dick Grayson = 18 votes
    * Kendra Saunders (Hawkgirl) = 13 votes
    * Hawkman doesn't need a love interest. His mace is already more than enough for him. = 7 votes

All other options have fewer than 7 votes.

Astonishing Member

I know Hawkman came first, but the best Hawkman stories always had Shayera or Shiera as an equal partner. There is no need to mess with what works.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I know Hawkman came first, but the best Hawkman stories always had Shayera or Shiera as an equal partner. There is no need to mess with what works.
    What’s the status now? Kendra is Hawkgirl. Shayera is Hawkwoman and is with Hawkman?

I love all the Hawks! Each version. The original golden age Hawks, the silver age Katar & Shayera, The Hawkworld Katar & Shayera (my favorites) and later the Johns golden age Hawks mixed with the silver age Hawks history.

Love em all. They are my second favorite characters after the Flashes.

That being said my favorite love interest for Hawkman depends on which Hawkman we are talking about. I prefer Shiera for Carter like we saw in Brightest Day. And I prefer Shayera for Katar.

Kendra is great but I much prefer Shiera and Shayera.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Technically, since Carter and Shiera were both in the first issue of FLASH COMICS, they are on even footing, even if Carter got to be Hawkman first, and Shiera was Hawkgirl a bit later.

With Katar Hol and Shayera Thal they both appeared as the Hawks at the same time.

It's just that male editorial bias made Hawkman the title character. However, I'd say that Shayera is the more interesting character and she can easily go it alone--which might be what breaks up the couple, if creators choose to use her and forget about Katar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Technically, since Carter and Shiera were both in the first issue of FLASH COMICS, they are on even footing, even if Carter got to be Hawkman first, and Shiera was Hawkgirl a bit later.

With Katar Hol and Shayera Thal they both appeared as the Hawks at the same time.

It's just that male editorial bias made Hawkman the title character. However, I'd say that Shayera is the more interesting character and she can easily go it alone--which might be what breaks up the couple, if creators choose to use her and forget about Katar.
    I'd love an ongoing Hawkwoman series with Shayera Thal. (Hawkworld version updated). As much as like Kendra I just think Shay is more interesting.
    Read The Flash#1 this September!

Fantastic Member

Didn't catch the recent Hawkman series. But in the day, I was a fan of Katar Hole and Shayera. Was not a fan of Hawkworld, and that's what lead to all this continuity mess. Before that I understood the Earth 1 and Earth 2 concept of both Hawkmen perfectly.

--jthree

NOTE: This thread was begun back in late April 2019.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    With 104 people having voted, results at present are:
    * Shayera Thal (Hawkwoman) = 55 votes (+5)
    * Dick Grayson = 18 votes
    * Kendra Saunders (Hawkgirl) = 13 votes
    * Hawkman doesn't need a love interest. His mace is already more than enough for him. = 8 votes (+1)

All other options still have fewer than 7 votes.

So did anyone who vote for Dick was being serious? That's all I wanna know.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

I voted for Shayera.
    I do think seeing another past life where they were both men would be interesting.