Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Updating WW, her mythos and villains + how powerful should WW be?

I've been reading on the CV forums that WW sucks as an earthbound hero, how she should be DC's answer to Thor, etc. which I kinda agree with because being earthbound isn't fitting for a supposed high tier like WW. We keep getting underwhelming feats and the sword and shield being ugly and not offering anything good. Her rogues gallery needs to be seriously re-vamped too, which I'm pretty sure everyone knows by now. There isn't really anything consistent going on with WW atm. What do you guys think?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
    I've been reading on the CV forums that WW sucks as an earthbound hero, how she should be DC's answer to Thor, etc. which I kinda agree with because being earthbound isn't fitting for a supposed high tier like WW. We keep getting underwhelming feats and the sword and shield being ugly and not offering anything good. Her rogues gallery needs to be seriously re-vamped too, which I'm pretty sure everyone knows by now. There isn't really anything consistent going on with WW atm. What do you guys think?
    Well current thor is in a much worse position than current Wonder Woman. With her background we should get epic and powerful action fighting Gods, powerful creatures, aliens etc.

What type of comments have you read on cv? In my opinion, that site has become hostile with the attitude that some people have.

Quote Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
    While Thor and Wonder Woman has the similarity of being mythologically-connected superheroes, I'm not sure the similarities go much further than that. And that includes how DC and Marvel treat their gods and their origin worlds, and goes out from there.

But I can't agree with that Wonder Woman is in a bad place right now, or lacks consistency. She has a central role in Justice League Dark where Tynion does a good job writing her. Maybe a little too much sword and shield, but at the same time she (and Swamp Thing) are the heavy physical hitters on that team, so it works there. And Wilson's run connects back to prior runs in a way that's unheard of, and IMO is moving in a really interesting direction. Main problem is the chaotic art situation.

I see no big reason to focus on space adventures for Wonder Woman. Sometimes, sure, but to me she feels much more at home with a mythological or fantasy slant, apart from the "domestic" stories. DC has no lack of space heroes anyway, between the Superman family and the Green Lanterns.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    While Thor and Wonder Woman has the similarity of being mythologically-connected superheroes, I'm not sure the similarities go much further than that. And that includes how DC and Marvel treat their gods and their origin worlds, and goes out from there.

But I can't agree with that Wonder Woman is in a bad place right now, or lacks consistency. She has a central role in Justice League Dark where Tynion does a good job writing her. Maybe a little too much sword and shield, but at the same time she (and Swamp Thing) are the heavy physical hitters on that team, so it works there. And Wilson's run connects back to prior runs in a way that's unheard of, and IMO is moving in a really interesting direction. Main problem is the chaotic art situation.

I see no big reason to focus on space adventures for Wonder Woman. Sometimes, sure, but to me she feels much more at home with a mythological or fantasy slant, apart from the "domestic" stories. DC has no lack of space heroes anyway, between the Superman family and the Green Lanterns.
    Yeah I say Wonder Woman should go full out on fantasy style. I want to see a Final Fantasy like Wonder Woman.

Marston said that he wanted Diana to stand on her own with Superman. So this is where you can have fun. The many different things in Diana's incarnations to add to this

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    Yeah I say Wonder Woman should go full out on fantasy style. I want to see a Final Fantasy like Wonder Woman.
    I agree with this. WW, Aquaman, and Shazam should form a fantasy corner of the DCU like Green Lantern, and other space-based heroes form the cosmic part of the DCU.

On par with Superman, definitely. It was how she was meant to be, and it is how she has been written in the past, but her powers fluctuate downwards from there with many writers.

I'm not saying 'as strong as' or 'as invulnerable as' but 'as powerful as' - the two should stand shoulder to shoulder when the others have fallen and the big bad has them on the ropes.

Now this is the question should she die by bullets or they don’t bounce off her but they can go through her and she doesn’t die. She gets wounded but her healing factor helps her. I don’t mind her being weak to bullets it more of the factor when you see her doing great feats but next see her drop dead it’s sometimes really hard to figure out how to make this idea interesting. Bouncing bullets is Superman’s thing. I can see Diana still doing bullets and bracelets due to her not taken any risk.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Now this is the question should she die by bullets or they don’t bounce off her but they can go through her and she doesn’t die. She gets wounded but her healing factor helps her. I don’t mind her being weak to bullets it more of the factor when you see her doing great feats but next see her drop dead it’s sometimes really hard to figure out how to make this idea interesting. Bouncing bullets is Superman’s thing. I can see Diana still doing bullets and bracelets due to her not taken any risk.
    Bulletproof.

Bracelets should be used for more powerful attacks.

Every other hero in the Justice League (Flash, GL, Aquaman, Batman, J'onn, Superman) are all bulletproof, and they didn't necessarily start out that way. Over the years, every other major hero has improved in skills, offense and defense, but Diana is just so uneven in her depiction it's impossible to gauge her abilities anymore.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Make the Amazonium bracelets vibration absorbent like Marvel's vibranium (I'm going by Cap's shield in his first movie). Bullets don't ricochet off them, they just fall harmlessly to the ground. This is why she catches them on her bracelets, more for the benefit of anyone else caught in the crossfire than her. They would just bounce off of her.

We need to keep Bullets and Bracelets because it's part of her iconography, just give a simple and sensible reason for it to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    On par with Superman, definitely. It was how she was meant to be, and it is how she has been written in the past, but her powers fluctuate downwards from there with many writers.

I'm not saying 'as strong as' or 'as invulnerable as' but 'as powerful as' - the two should stand shoulder to shoulder when the others have fallen and the big bad has them on the ropes.
    there no point in having superman level strength without his invulnerability, she will just end up gravely injuring herself using it.
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    there no point in having superman level strength without his invulnerability, she will just end up gravely injuring herself using it.
    Having super durability is part of her powers. She can't have the level of strength that she has shown, such as lifting tanks, massive asteroids, hitting heavy hitters like kryptonians and damage them without having super durability as well. Otherwise she would hurt herself using her super strength just like you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedra View Post
    That's why I said 'not as strong' or 'as invulnerable.' She should still be super strong and super invulnerable, but just a shade less than him.

In this, I liked the Injustice version where she's bulletproof and can break Supes' arm in hand-to-hand combat.

She should be scaled down a bit but then make up for it in skill, agility, reaction speed and training.

I'd also like to see either the shield or the lightning power back with the bracelets. Let's see something new stick

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    That's why I said 'not as strong' or 'as invulnerable.' She should still be super strong and super invulnerable, but just a shade less than him.

In this, I liked the Injustice version where she's bulletproof and can break Supes' arm in hand-to-hand combat.

She should be scaled down a bit but then make up for it in skill, agility, reaction speed and training.

I'd also like to see either the shield or the lightning power back with the bracelets. Let's see something new stick
    I don't see a reason why she shouldn't be just as strong as him.That's what she was meant to be.

Quote Originally Posted by starlight25 View Post
    I don't see a reason why she shouldn't be just as strong as him.That's what she was meant to be.
    For me, it's because I don't want her to just be a female Superman. If you give her his strength + his invulnerability + her reflexes + her magic + her training then that puts her above Superman to me.

They should be equal in power but different in what they can do.