Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    I’m curious and I don’t like Diana being actually like Batman or Superman but what about her cave? I always liked the idea of a pocket dimension. Unlike Clarke or Bruce she can carry it around or her bracelets carry everything
    I'd just have Themyscira as her home. Or bring back the embassy.

I have some ideas for Nubia and Donna.

Nubia - Like her original incarnation, this version of Nubia is formed from clay along side her sister Diana. They are raised by their mothers Hippolyta and Philippus. The two sisters enjoy a healthy relationship as well as a friendly rivalry. When an army of demons from another realm invaded Earth long ago, the Amazons lead the charge to stop them. Nubia was thought dead but in reality was captured and brainwashed by the demons before being found and freed by her family.

Nubia’s story would explore PTSD and reintegration into society.

In battle, Nubia uses a sword that can change into a spear and energy staff and summons blessed armor that few Amazons are worthy of wielding.

Donna Troy - This version would be very similar to her original origin. Her parents die in a fire when she is a child leaving her alone until she is adopted by Hippolyta. However, there are three major divergences.

1) She is rescued by Tala, the Tagalog Goddess of Stars. This idea is inspired by Leigh Bardugo’s Wonder Woman: Warbringer novel where Amazons are reborn on Themyscira by whatever goddess they worship.

2) Donna is from the Philippines not the U.S. She is also of Tagalog origin and the star motif of her outfit is a homage to the goddess who rescued her.

3) Donna doesn’t use a lasso but an Amazon battle staff of great strength and a star-like weapon gifted to her by Tala.

Donna is very much a child of two worlds and much of her story involves her learning to adapt to her new surroundings but never forgetting where she came from. She and Diana have difficulty getting along at first as Diana is still grieving the loss of Nubia. Donna meanwhile, also worries that she’s essentially a replacement goldfish for a person she has never met.

I wonder is Ching to outdatedto be used in Wonder Woman comics? I really enjoyed him has a character.

I wonder is Ching to outdatedto be used in Wonder Woman comics? I really enjoyed him has a character.
    I'd leave him out.

Keep in mind that he was used recently in New Super-Man and died. At the moment hes like some sort of force ghost paling around with Chinese Superman.

Honestly if we have a movie coming out in this day and age featuring the son of Fu Manchu, I hardly see how 'The Incredible I-Ching' would be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I'd just have Themyscira as her home. Or bring back the embassy.

I have some ideas for Nubia and Donna.

Nubia - Like her original incarnation, this version of Nubia is formed from clay along side her sister Diana. They are raised by their mothers Hippolyta and Philippus. The two sisters enjoy a healthy relationship as well as a friendly rivalry. When an army of demons from another realm invaded Earth long ago, the Amazons lead the charge to stop them. Nubia was thought dead but in reality was captured and brainwashed by the demons before being found and freed by her family.

Nubia’s story would explore PTSD and reintegration into society.

In battle, Nubia uses a sword that can change into a spear and energy staff and summons blessed armor that few Amazons are worthy of wielding.

Donna Troy - This version would be very similar to her original origin. Her parents die in a fire when she is a child leaving her alone until she is adopted by Hippolyta. However, there are three major divergences.

1) She is rescued by Tala, the Tagalog Goddess of Stars. This idea is inspired by Leigh Bardugo’s Wonder Woman: Warbringer novel where Amazons are reborn on Themyscira by whatever goddess they worship.

2) Donna is from the Philippines not the U.S. She is also of Tagalog origin and the star motif of her outfit is a homage to the goddess who rescued her.

3) Donna doesn’t use a lasso but an Amazon battle staff of great strength and a star-like weapon gifted to her by Tala.

Donna is very much a child of two worlds and much of her story involves her learning to adapt to her new surroundings but never forgetting where she came from. She and Diana have difficulty getting along at first as Diana is still grieving the loss of Nubia. Donna meanwhile, also worries that she’s essentially a replacement goldfish for a person she has never met.
    Oh wow! Thats actually really clever. Not only is that a good way of adapting Nubia, and makes for a fascinating dynamic. But it also kinda adopts elements from one of Donnas fifty or so origins

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Honestly if we have a movie coming out in this day and age featuring the son of Fu Manchu, I hardly see how 'The Incredible I-Ching' would be problematic.
    Just because someone puts out something doesn't mean it's not problematic in various aspects. So as arguments goes, that's rather a null one. And while the wise old oriental martial artist master and teacher is a positive stereotype, it's still a stereotype.

There is also the question what I-Ching would give to Diana. She is already supposed to be the most capable melee fighter on the justice league, and adding in a need for another teacher diminishes the training that Diana received from the Amazons.

Not all old ideas are good ideas. I-Ching could quite possibly be of value somewhere else within the DC universe, but I can't see any upsides to having him as Diana's teacher and mentor.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Keep in mind that he was used recently in New Super-Man and died. At the moment hes like some sort of force ghost paling around with Chinese Superman.

Oh wow! Thats actually really clever. Not only is that a good way of adapting Nubia, and makes for a fascinating dynamic. But it also kinda adopts elements from one of Donnas fifty or so origins
    I don't think they'll be using the Fu Manchu origin for Shang Chi to be fair.

Thanks for the compliment.

Not for Diana but has a mentor for others. Like Diana goes to I Ching to help teach others to defend themselves.

Not for Diana but has a mentor for others. Like Diana goes to I Ching to help teach others to defend themselves.
    What would be the point of that?

Fantastic Member

I have never got why some think WW should be as strong as superman!! Never got that!!

Boisterously Confused

There have been enough takes on Diana that I doubt that we can ever settle on what her abilities should be (one need only look at the firestorm that blazes anytime somebody proposes giving her back her plane). I can only offer up what I'd personally prefer.

I'd start with the Amazons in general:
    • Through breeding (and perhaps mysticism) the average Amazon has roughly twice the durability, stamina, strength, speed, coordination and agility of any elite-caliber athlete in Man's World.
    • Mental/spiritual disciplines have enabled some of the Amazons to psionically amplify their physical feats of strength (this effect is much like Connor Kent's tactile-telekinesis), speed, and agility.
    • Instruments like the Amazons' bracelets are designed to amplify their psionic abilities for specific feats, like deflecting projectiles.
    • Their mental disciplines sharpen Amazons' senses to the peak of human acuity, and with effort enable Amazons to focus their senses to superhuman levels.

Wonder Woman is an exceptional Amazon, with about twice the physical potential of her sisters, and psionic abilities several orders of magnitude above even her closest Amazonian comparitor. As a result...
    • Diana has roughly four times the durability, stamina, strength, speed, coordination and agility of any elite-caliber athlete in Man's World..
    • Diana's psionic abilities enable her to surpass Aquaman's strength, and - with effort - rival the strength of Superman. By similar means, she can even rival the speed of the Flash.
    • Her psionic abilities enable Diana to fly.
    • Diana is not invulnerable (her body can handle the stress of her feats of strength because she's doing most of the lifting psionically), but she's very durable and heals at a superhuman rate.
    • An absolute master of Amazonian martial arts, bolstered by her psionic abilities and enhanced senses, Diana mainly evades or blocks injury, or deflects attacks with her bracelets, rather than soaking it up.
    • Diana's lasso has divine qualities, but it requires an Amazon's psionic abilities to leverage them, meaning that Diana can make greater use of it than anyone else. What's more, her psionic abilities give her such control over the lasso that Diana can perform near-telekinetic feats of skill with it.
    • Diana owns the invisible plane (more below), which she uses for long distance transport in order to conserve energy, and which can travel faster for the energy expended than she can alone.
    • Diana's tiara not only serves as a throwing weapon, but helps her mentally communicate with Paradise Island, and her Invisible Plane.
    • Diana has a natural affinity with animals. She can't speak with or control them, but they tend to have a friendly attitude toward her. Unless a tiger is maddened by pain or anger, for example, it's unlikely to harm her no matter how well trained to do so. What's more, an animal near her will become highly agitated if it perceives a threat to Diana.
    • As a result of her sensory, and psionic abilities Diana is a near psychic judge of character. She can be fooled, preferring to see the best in people, but it takes a master grifter to pull it off.

The invisible plane is a sentient AI and inertia generator; it bears the aerodynamic shape of a flying wing mainly for the purposes of making its flight more efficient. The plane has a personality (utterly inhuman), and is more a companion to Wonder Woman than an owned conveyance.
    • The plane is invisible not only to sight, but to all known means of sensory detection.
    • The plane has a vast array of sensory capabilities, making it a useful platform for surveillance.
    • The plane can hover and travel at speeds of approximately Mach-8.
    • There are no controls inside the plane, it steers itself. But with Diana psionically acting in communion with it, the plane is capable of nearly Mach-16 speeds, and becomes capable of much greater aerobatic agility.
    • Because the plane has no controls, Trevor cannot fly it, but it will sometimes consent to follow his orders (for inexplicable reasons of its own).
    • The plane provides life-support robust against not only high altitude, but deep sea or deep space environments.
    • Diana is able to summon the plane psionically. When not in use, it tends to wait in low orbit, generally directly above Diana or nearby. What it does with its time in such cases, indeed, what it thinks in general, are beyond human abilities to understand.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 05-06-2019 at 07:08 AM.

One thing I dislike is Diana already having her powers. I mean wouldn't it be better that Diana worked just has hard has her sisters? Yes she is one of the top Amazons but that's because of how hard he worked

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    I have never got why some think WW should be as strong as superman!! Never got that!!
    1. That was what her creator meant for her to be and he was quite clear when he stated as much.

2. During the Golden Age, she towed the sun back into place to sort of back up this 'really really strong' concept

3. At various times throughout the history of DC, she has been the one to fight him to a standstill. Batman pointed out that she was the only one able to stop Superman if he were to go rogue.

I'm of the 'she's definitely an alpha hero' school of thought myself but think she should be a hair less stronger than Superman but more skilled.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I'm of the 'she's definitely an alpha hero' school of thought myself but think she should be a hair less stronger than Superman but more skilled.
    Yeah, that's we're I'm at. She's not quite as strong, but lacks his weaknesses and is more skilled. They just need to put their money where their mouth is and do it more consistently. Not that I want to see them fight either, because somebody's gonna get screwed because modern writers don't really know how to do it well.

Not being quite at his strength level doesn't equate to being not an alpha hero. There are a TON of superheroes in the DCU, especially when the Earths are merged, and she's at #2 out of all of them with some advantages against the guy at #1 (and he's the only thing they can use against her if she goes rogue, whereas he has other protocols). I think that's enough. The only "threat" he is to her is if they pair them up romantically, because her narrative should not be so closely tied to a male character as strong or stronger than her, though we've thankfully moved on from that (for now...).

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

As far as expanding her mythos is concerned, I would like a second title that picks up where Year One leaves off and fill the gap between Year One and the Lies, re-building her history.

I'm glad the Amazons are restored as positive figures, and while I don't want her to be cut off from them permanently, 10 years without the Amazons and the Gods hogging the spotlight sounds pretty great to me. I'd love to fill that gap with revamps of her rogues gallery and other adventures that re-establish other areas that have been missing forever (like Desira on Venus, Holliday college, Iceberg Land, Queen Eve ruling the Garden of Eden, etc) while the present day stories in the main title focus on Paradise Island and the Amazons. Her mythos cannot sustain itself on that alone, and we have an opportunity with the missing 10 years to fill that gap with all sorts of stuff. We could also have Donna Troy's history as Wonder Girl explored there.

Of course, sales probably wouldn't justify it, but I can dream.

Depending on which version you go with Diana should always be more powerful than Kal el to me anyway.i think some writers just write Superman more powerful is because he's a Man.Diana's original clay origin were she was blessed with the life and powers by the Gods.her 2nd origin the Daughter of Zues and Hippolyta both has an mystical aspect to them and she was trained from childhood in forms of battle so she has experience in combat also Magic is one of Kal's weaknesses.but because he's DC's 1st Superhero that's why he has to be the most powerful.