Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    The blade can clearly stop storm-breaker in its tracks with no problem. Hell, if Thanos really wanted to, he could've easily just side stepped the axe entirely. The only reason he got hit was because he underestimated the power of the weapon thrown at him.

Thanos simply made a mistake & Thor capitalized it. IW Thor would obviously put a better showing than EG Thor did against Thanos in direct combat but in the end both fights end the exact same way every single time.
    That blade was broken by Wanda who’s powers come from one of the stones. =/

If any case that’s an indication that Thor’s striking strength is way below than what it was in IW.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 05-05-2019 at 07:30 AM.

The actual axe blade portion of Stormbreaker never touches Thanos' sword. They clash blade to handle. If it DID hit his sword with the axe portion it would probably cut it just fine.

Also, losing a bit of muscle is irrelevant to my point from earlier. Fat out of shape Thor could still have done all of toss the thing. It was Thanos who let himself get hit in IW. It had nothing to do with Thor's mighty sixpack.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

I would point out that if Thor didn’t lose power, then he sure as hell got dumber in his fighting.

He goes from Ragnarok and Infinity War where he uses actual ranged attacks well (biggest lightning bolt ever to hit Hela) to deciding to go weapon to weapon with Thanos. No ranged lightning, nothing (except for throwing Mjolnir once IIRC).

That was frustrating. No amazing lightning strikes, just......bash bash slash slash.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

I could've sworn I saw Stormbreaker connect with Thanos's Double-Edged Sword. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    I would point out that if Thor didn’t lose power, then he sure as hell got dumber in his fighting.

He goes from Ragnarok and Infinity War where he uses actual ranged attacks well (biggest lightning bolt ever to hit Hela) to deciding to go weapon to weapon with Thanos. No ranged lightning, nothing (except for throwing Mjolnir once IIRC).

That was frustrating. No amazing lightning strikes, just......bash bash slash slash.
    I see that less as having to do with Thor becoming an inept fighter (he has thousands+ of years of experience) and more to do with collateral damage. Before Cap proved himself worthy, he was just as susceptible to being fried by lightning as your garden variety Chitauri soldier. It reminds me of Thor's first fight with the Hulk in the Helicarrier. Sure, Thor could've fried Hulk into submission but doing so might've inadvertently killed everyone on board.

That and Thanos was virtually unharmed by lightning strikes.

Even if Thor was in better shape, I doubt he would've fared any better. Remember how incapacitated he was at the start of Infinity War? Now we have a stronger idea on who was responsible, and he was standing right next to Thor monologuing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by KJS View Post
    I think one of his most impressive feats - which generally goes overlooked - is when he cast a spell that neutralised the powerful winds created by the Q-Ship at the start of Avengers: Infinity War. What he did to Thor in Thor: Ragnarok (all that teleporting stuff), was also a very potent power to have.

But when he held back the Hudson River in Endgame, that's when his raw power went up a notch.

Dude's a beast.
    Holding back the river was super impressive and very necessary, but it essentially took him out of the fight. Otherwise, he would've been available to just sling-ring the gauntlet into the van (all the other wizards appeared to be occupied).

The MCU is getting better at finding ways to occupy its more powerful heroes.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

IW Thor landing a sucker punch with lightning did nothing more than knock Thanos off his feet and gain his attention. In addition to Captain America being there without any amps for the beginning of the fight, this Thanos was already on his guard, and bearing a weapon that let him block an Iron Man blast amped up by Thor's lightning, so Thor deciding to stick to melee was a decent decision, since he knows that he had a weapon that can easily maim or kill Thanos in one blow. Something that Thanos is also aware of, thanks to Nebula's memories, which is probably why he didn't try and go into battle bare handed.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    ...Scarlet Witch, right? Not only did she overpower Thanos(and it didn't seem like too much effort), she broke his blade, which can cut through Cap's shield! Her holding off five stone gauntlet Thanos while simultaneously destroying the mind-stone doesn't seem much of an outlier now.
    I would certainly say that, if we are just talking about Endgame, it's either Wanda or Carol. Dr. Strange is certainly no slouch either but he and Wanda could be squishy if caught by surprise. Counting all feats, it might be Thor though Strange could really mess with him as long as Strange doesn't get hit.
    Power with Girl is better.

If you're looking for someone to be a battering ram to overpower an opponent using force, I'd go for Thor.

If you're looking for someone to have a dozen options for dealing with an opponent, I'd go for Dr Strange.

I see Captain Marvel as being smidge behind Thor; and Wanda's lacks the Dr Strange's defences like the cape and pre-battle-spells.