Default How easy is Dark Nights Metal to get into?

I'm interested in reading about a whole dark multiverse of Batman gone wrong, but I'm hesitant to get into any big event titles. Just what all does one need to read to understand this story going in?

Honestly, just Dark Days : The Casting, Dark Days : the Forge and the main metal issues plus Wild Hunt. The Dark Knights issues are really interesting (especially the Drowned, the Murder Machine and the Red Death to me) but not essentials, nor the Teen Titans and Justice League Crossovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Honestly, just Dark Days : The Casting, Dark Days : the Forge and the main metal issues plus Wild Hunt. The Dark Knights issues are really interesting (especially the Drowned, the Murder Machine and the Red Death to me) but not essentials, nor the Teen Titans and Justice League Crossovers.
    Any prior stories I should read (for instance, I've read none of the Morrison era stuff, and only a little of Snyder's)? Or can I just jump into these books?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Any prior stories I should read (for instance, I've read none of the Morrison era stuff, and only a little of Snyder's)? Or can I just jump into these books?
    I feel you can jump into them rather easily. You just need to know the basics of Snyder's run on Batman : The Court of Owl exists, he and Joker fought to the death and were revived, and that's it.

BANNED

the Justice League tie-ins are pretty good and one of the issues in particular reintroduces Hypertime

Its pretty interesting, even some of the tie-ins. Like the Justice League tracking down the Bat Family, Damian makes quite the comment. And, well, there are dark moments (generally the Dark Knights backgrounds), but also some pretty cool ones.

The only ones I read were the Casting, the Forge, and the Metal series itself. Didn't bother with any other issues, and I didn't have a hard time following the story at all.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

As said previously, the story is readable with just the main title. But I recommend for a "more complete" experience to read Scott Snyder's New 52 run in Batman. Also, it's pretty helpful to read some of Morrison's Batman and other stories like Multiversity (at least the first and last issues)

If you care just about Metal, I recommend:
    The Casting; The Forge; Metal 1-6; Batman Lost; Wild Hunt (Batman Lost goes between issues 3 & 4 and Wild Hunt between 5 & 6).

I didn't read the Justice League tie ins nor the Gotham Resistance crossover, but I didn't found I was missing anything that wasn't clear out in the main title. The Dark Knights one shots are unnecessary and you can check them out if you like the story and want to know more about the background, same with Hawkman Found
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I'm interested in reading about a whole dark multiverse of Batman gone wrong, but I'm hesitant to get into any big event titles. Just what all does one need to read to understand this story going in?
    The easiest to get into would be the issues that contain the origin of each of the evil Batmen. Since they are self-contained stories of their origin in their own Earths, you don't need to know anything about the actual Batman lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    The easiest to get into would be the issues that contain the origin of each of the evil Batmen. Since they are self-contained stories of their origin in their own Earths, you don't need to know anything about the actual Batman lore.
    That sounds like a good way to dip into this. Are all those issues collected together in a trade or something?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

That sounds like a good way to dip into this. Are all those issues collected together in a trade or something?
    Yes. This one.

660574._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Dark Nights: Metal: Dark Knights Rising
    Seven nightmarish versions of Batman from seven dying alternate realities have been recruited by the dark god Barbatos to terrorize the World’s Greatest Heroes in our universe. They threaten life across the Multiverse, and the Justice League may be powerless to stop them!

We introduce you to:
    The Batman Who Laughs: a lunatic driven mad by his world’s Joker.
    The Red Death: a thief who stole his reality’s Speed Force power.
    The Drowned: a female, amphibious Batman.
    The Dawnbreaker: a twisted Green Lantern.
    The Murder Machine: a deranged, deadly cyborg.
    The Merciless: a warrior who wears the helmet of Ares.
    The Devastator: a part-human, part-Doomsday monster.

Oh but... I just remember... I think one of them, the evil Batman-Cyborg start the story after they invade the main Earth. I haven't read that one so I don't know how much it spoils the main story, or if the invasion is just the intro before it goes into a flashback.

Readdcentertainment is having a villain discount and this one's on $5.99 if you want it digital
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-01-2019 at 07:16 AM.

BANNED

Unfortunately, all but one or maybe two of the story arcs are in the more expensive, space-wasting hardcover form. I'm still waiting for the trade paperbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Yes. This one.

660574._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Dark Nights: Metal: Dark Knights Rising
    Seven nightmarish versions of Batman from seven dying alternate realities have been recruited by the dark god Barbatos to terrorize the World’s Greatest Heroes in our universe. They threaten life across the Multiverse, and the Justice League may be powerless to stop them!

We introduce you to:
    The Batman Who Laughs: a lunatic driven mad by his world’s Joker.
    The Red Death: a thief who stole his reality’s Speed Force power.
    The Drowned: a female, amphibious Batman.
    The Dawnbreaker: a twisted Green Lantern.
    The Murder Machine: a deranged, deadly cyborg.
    The Merciless: a warrior who wears the helmet of Ares.
    The Devastator: a part-human, part-Doomsday monster.

Oh but... I just remember... I think one of them, the evil Batman-Cyborg start the story after they invade the main Earth. I haven't read that one so I don't know how much it spoils the main story, or if the invasion is just the intro before it goes into a flashback.

Readdcentertainment is having a villain discount and this one's on $5.99 if you want it digital
    Murder Machine just has them invade the Watchtower, it doesn’t spoil anything imo.