Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Maybe everyone who's buying Rick is just on autopilot--they have their pull list, but no time to weed through it (because they're working four jobs to support their comics habit) so they run into the shop, grab the stack pulled for them, and head out.
    That's a lot of money lost for the sake of collecting a run you mostly dislike, though. It may be me, but I don't spend my income in stuff I dislike (resell them and and buy other you like is my advice that noone asked for xD). If you still buy the series, even if someone does for the sake of completion, I think we can call them core readers, or core public at least saleswise.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 04-30-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I forgot where Nightwing Rebirth started at... 200k I think... then there's a huge sales drop at the beginning arcs as usual as people got out of the #1 hype and started settling down with series they like.

The drop was at 50 to 25k per month if I remember correctly, then after the beginning arc, the sales drop slowed down to around 10k per month, and then 5k, then 1k per month, which friends here say is normal for all comics.

I do remember the last arc of Nightwing before Ric sold at a steady 26k. That's the core fanbase. So Ric doing 25k here is the lowest I saw it, which means parts of that core are starting to leave.

I haven't paid attention to sales long enough to know what's the average sale for Nightwing though since there's a monthly drop until it hits the core baseline

I'm actually surprised Super Sons and Red Hood sell even lower since the characters are popular and there's nothing wrong with the book as far as I can tell (not as wrong as Ric I mean), so I guess they're also hitting their core fanbase.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-30-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I'm actually surprised Super Sons and Red Hood sell even lower since the characters are popular and there's nothing wrong with the book as far as I can tell (not as wrong as Ric I mean), so I guess they're also hitting their core fanbase.
    Well, to be fair, this is only LCS's sales by diamond, so it's not the whole market. And both books are relatively new (SS way more than RHATO), with relatively new characters (both Damian as Robin and Jason as Red Hood are about 15yo. Jon is even more recent. But also, Damian and Jon are Robin and Superboy, that are pretty well known brands that easier catch the public interest. Look at all the Justice League tittles, a well known brand). Add to that that there are a lot more books to pull than 30 years ago and it seems natural that both are low selling books. But DC is still invested in both series, so they feel that keeping them in the shelves is worth the effort: this is a business after all.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 04-30-2019 at 12:29 PM. Reason: grammar choices

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Well, to be fair, this is only LCS's sales by diamond, so it's not the whole market. And both books are relatively new (SS way more than RHATO), with relatively new characters (both Damian as Robin and Jason as Red Hood are about 15yo. Jon is even more recent. But also, Damian and Jon are Robin and Superboy, that are pretty well known brands that are easier to catch the public interest). Add to that that there are a lot more books to pull than 30 years ago and it seems natural that both are low selling books. But DC is still invested in both series, so they feel that keeping them in the shelves is worth the effort: this is a business after all.
    You're right. Of course. If some buyers of Super Sons are parents who buy for their kids but don't usually buy comics themselves, they're more likely to get it digital these days, or the trades from the average book stores.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Well, to be fair, this is only LCS's sales by diamond, so it's not the whole market. And both books are relatively new (SS way more than RHATO), with relatively new characters (both Damian as Robin and Jason as Red Hood are about 15yo. Jon is even more recent. But also, Damian and Jon are Robin and Superboy, that are pretty well known brands that easier catch the public interest. Look at all the Justice League tittles, a well known brand). Add to that that there are a lot more books to pull than 30 years ago and it seems natural that both are low selling books. But DC is still invested in both series, so they feel that keeping them in the shelves is worth the effort: this is a business after all.
    The thing is Adventure of Super Sons will probably sell better in other context (not extraordinary sales, but it will be better). After all, Teen Titans has decent sales, altough Damian is practically the only appeal (the other characters are pretty new or unknown).

The story of Adventures of Super Sons is in the past and it feels disconnected from the current DCU.

Also, if Adventure of Super Sons has variant covers (like the ongoings), it will probably sell better.
    Last edited by Konja7; 04-30-2019 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    The thing is Adventure of Super Sons will probably sell better in other context (not extraordinary sales, but it will be better). After all, Teen Titans has decent sales, altough Damian is practically the only appeal (the other characters are pretty new or unknown).

The story of Adventures of Super Sons is in the past and it feels disconnected from the current DCU that affect.

Also, if Adventure of Super Sons has variant covers (like the ongoings), it will probably sell better.
    Mmm... Teen Titans is a long time tittle. Maybe a lot of people (not most, but many) pull it in their lists because they're loyal to the tittle itself. Or because they know the actual name unlike with other books. Or for completion. Or because I like it more (tastes works differently). Completionism in this case isn't a concept I'm really familiar with, to be honest, because as I said, I only purchase what I like (or think that I will like); but I think it may be another factor in the equation as for why the sales are the way they are. In any case, because there's only a limit to what our wallets can hold, in the end is a matter of choice a book over other: priorities, too, are a factor to add up.

I don't envy those who study markets . This is why I chose to study Librarianship with less Bibliometrics .

These are the sales to comic shops in March 2019 for the Batfamily:

DECTIVE COMICS #1000 526,941
    It will be interesting to see how Detective Comics #1001 and #1002 place for April.
    February's issues (#998 and #999) sold 60,447 copies and 62,953 copies through Diamond.

CATWOMAN #9 43,952
    Issue #10 in April also had an Artgerm variant cover, so the number of copies for that issue may be quite decent, too.

February's issue #8 did 32,360 copies, and that was with a Tony S. Daniel variant.

Extraordinary Member

Adventures of Supersons with a variant cover will probably sell more than Supergirl (without Artgerm variant cover).
    Without the Artgerm covers Supergirl would have been probably already cancled. It had really low sales before they started with those.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    It will be interesting to see how Detective Comics #1001 and #1002 place for April.
    February's issues (#998 and #999) sold 60,447 copies and 62,953 copies through Diamond.
    It is a good question.

The big sales won't be mantained for the next month, but I'm curious if it could benefit the comic.

Issue #10 in April also had an Artgerm variant cover, so the number of copies for that issue may be quite decent, too.

February's issue #8 did 32,360 copies, and that was with a Tony S. Daniel variant.

Yeah.

Harley Quinn also has an Artgerm variant cover for March. Her comic has 44,298 copies in March, while 36,010 in February.

In general, Artgerm variant covers increase sales in a good amount.

Astonishing Member

Speaking about the increase of sales by Artgerm variant covers, a curious case happened in January of 2019:

Batgirl #30 (Joshua Middleton variant) 31,084

Batgirl #31 (Artgerm variant) 33,287

It is still an increase (especially considering a second comic in a month tend to sell a little less), but it is a pretty small increase.

Maybe the variant covers by Joshua Middleton (who doesn't make the variant cover for Batgirl #33) are pretty popular too.
    Last edited by Konja7; 05-01-2019 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    It doesn't matter. Were screwed either way. Not buying the book would just be an excuse for them to shelf him. Which im convinced would be perfectly ok with those in the current Bat office. Nightwing is a title and a character they clearly just don't want to put much work into. Don't buy if for your own sanity, cause quality wise it is probably the worst thing DC is producing. Which they blatantly do not care about. But it's not gonna change a damn thing. Ric gonna run its course till whatever they are doing with Batman is done regardless.
    This is why I still justify buying it out of "loyalty".

Haven't even cracked the cover on an issue since #51 though.
    Batman - Daredevil

Speaking about the increase of sales by Artgerm variant covers, a curious case happened in January of 2019:

Batgirl #30 (Joshua Middleton variant) 31,084

Batgirl #31 (Artgerm variant) 33,287

It is still an increase (especially considering a second comic in a month tend to sell a little less), but it is a pretty small increase.
    January wasn't a typical month for Batgirl. Issue #30 was suppose to ship the last Wednesday of December 2018, but DC didn't ship any books for that week due to Christmas (the 4th Wednesday of that month being December 26, the day after Christmas).
    So all the 4th week books for December were shipped for the first week of January.
    January had five Wednesdays in 2019, so all the January books were just bumped a week out.

Astonishing Member

January wasn't a typical month for Batgirl. Issue #30 was suppose to ship the last Wednesday of December 2018, but DC didn't ship any books for that week due to Christmas (the 4th Wednesday of that month being December 26, the day after Christmas).
    So all the 4th week books for December were shipped for the first week of January.
    January had five Wednesdays in 2019, so all the January books were just bumped a week out.
    This is true, the situation wasn't typical. It wouldn't be weird that Batgirl #30 doesn't affect Batgirl #31.

As I said, the weird thing is the small increase for Batgirl #31, since it has an Artgerm variant cover, which usually means a strong increase on regular sales (as we can see for Catwoman, Harley Quinn and Supergirl).
    Last edited by Konja7; 05-01-2019 at 06:23 PM.

BANNED

Sales in general just seem lower and lower every year.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Sales in general just seem lower and lower every year.
    Us old guys either disappear, can't afford it, or die off . . .