Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default How strong is Rebirth Superman?

Superman destroys a planet by just flying off it while heavily weakened by lack of sunlight. This is from the preview of Justice League 23.

https://i.postimg.cc/Z56KcZLD/690909...6253-JUSTL.jpg
    https://i.postimg.cc/ZqcbGc28/690909...1646-JUSTL.jpg

In previous issues he couldn't even break the gravitational pull of the planet.

https://i.postimg.cc/gjr2qZMv/image.jpg
    https://i.postimg.cc/CL3xkdbq/image.jpg

Who can destroy a planet in such manner IYO?

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

So first off, we treat Rebirth Superman as an amalgam of previous versions. This isn't above his Nu52 feats, though it is certainly up there with them.

It is definitely hard to find a physical peer to this guy. He's not silver age levels. But he's silly strong. Superboy Prime and Kingdom Come Superman might have similar oomph based on how they tear through standard kryptonians, though SBP lacks their matching durability.

Secondly. One could make a case that shattering the planet was poetic license. The prose is pretty flowery and the art looks less like a completely destroyed planet and more like when Saitama cratered the face of the moon by jumping off it.

Even low balling it, it is a helluva showing for just kicking off it. Why was the gravity so intense? Was it larger or denser than a normal planet or was it just some weird cosmic trap that ignored physics?

Edit: Looked at the picture closer on my computer screen instead of my phone, and I rescind my comments in this post. That planet looks done up to me.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 04-29-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Even low balling it, it is a helluva showing for just kicking off it. Why was the gravity so intense? Was it larger or denser than a normal planet or was it just some weird cosmic trap that ignored physics?
    I took that scene as not all on the gravitational pull but also Superman getting weaker due to being trapped in the darkness.

It reminded me of the First Flight Scene in the Man of Steel Movie. Superman tried but fell. He got up and even he had to push his limits

There was no sun and he had been deliberately weakened to the point he couldnt fly sealed off in a dark dimension by World Forger though I'll have to check the issue again for exact details. It wasn't a gravity thing it was his powers being at their lowest. He couldn't fly anymore so he had to leap hard enough to reach the other place

That's a pretty crazy insane feat honestly
    Last edited by The Dork Knight; 04-29-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    There was no sun and he had been deliberately weakened to the point he couldnt fly sealed off in a dark dimension by World Forger though I'll have to check the issue again for exact details. It wasn't a gravity thing it was his powers being at their lowest. He couldn't fly anymore so he had to leap hard enough to reach the other place

That's a pretty crazy insane feat honestly
    Thanks. I stand corrected.

It was a crazy feat (but in a good way)

... So he can't generate the power to fly, but he's got enough fuel in the tank to destroy a planet? Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    ... So he can't generate the power to fly, but he's got enough fuel in the tank to destroy a planet? Weird.
    Bruh. Dig deep Yknow? What would coach say?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

I mean I'm cool with the hero finding the hidden reserve to pull of the big feat that they didn't have a second ago. But I figured there was just a really powerful force holding him down there. If he's too low on power to fly? I mean, I guess they established that flight was the last power to manifest for Nu Clark in Morrison's action comics run, and he was jumping into orbit before that. But this seems like a lot.

Well to be fair it looks like he also manages to take flight along with that leap

It was not just flight. He was explicitly leaping a smaller distance each time with dwindling powers. And it wasn't a second, he was there a fair while and had failed several times before he apparently pulled it off

Kinda like Superman 1 million getting weaker through punching through time before finally managing I suppose

It also says that was pretty much his last effort and he would die if he didn't make it this time and unlike the previous attempts he kinda meditates or something before this one. It also seems to be a reference to his first flight in Smallville. Idk the issue will have the full context I suppose

To complete the ridiculousness, Superman jumped across an entire galaxy as shown in the issue.

https://postimg.cc/D4bLYYDm
    https://postimg.cc/qgtsRzR0

I interpreted that as him actually managing a last ditch flight, seeing as at the end, he seems to stop when the star disappears
    There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload.".

I like to think the 90s was the time when comics hit puberty. They’d grown out of being endearing but hadn’t yet figured out where to channel their emotions to not be utterly whiny cocks. -Beadle

BANNED

He sure is getting amped up

Quote Originally Posted by Mider2009 View Post
    He sure is getting amped up
    You have some fascinating standards about when you think the laws of physics should disqualify a showing and when you think it shouldn't.