Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default ((Spoilers!!!) Avengers: Endgame big moment for women

So, here is an article talking about why a certain moment in the the film was not earned: https://film.avclub.com/avengers-end...mom-1834366317

My opinion: I don't know for sure if it was earned. I do believe, however, that it was done because Marvel actually has no plans for all-female Avengers film (Was A-Force even a popular comic?) So, on some level, it was pandering.

It was incredibly forced fan service

But that's fine. Nothing wrong with a little fan service. These movies are made for fan service.

The fact so many people were triggered by it is astounding
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member

If all the dudes got in a team up no one says anything. But, the ladies do it and its a "thing". All the "Avengers Assemble" moments are pandering in one way or another. It gets the audience hype, its what fans love to see. They have a lot of female heroes now why not give them some shine? It didn't take anything away from story.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinnFillory View Post
    So, here is an article talking about why a certain moment in the the film was not earned: https://film.avclub.com/avengers-end...mom-1834366317

My opinion: I don't know for sure if it was earned. I do believe, however, that it was done because Marvel actually has no plans for all-female Avengers film (Was A-Force even a popular comic?) So, on some level, it was pandering.
    I went to the cinema with two women and I was fascinated by their impressions of this moment. One felt like it was a blatant moment of political correctness, the other one had not actually noticed that it was a moment purely made up of women.

Now I am not going to draw any conclusions from that, aside from it may not be as blatant in some people’s eyes as others.

Why this would be a problem I have no idea. They are all important characters, they are inspired by a powerful woman, and rally around her. What is unearned about that?

BANNED

I didn't roll my eyes for once at inclusiveness, so it worked

This film was two things a ending to the Infinity Saga and send off to the Original Avengers. The other thing Marvel Studios victory lap where they said thank you to all the fans who stuck in there for 11 years and 22 films and gave them a lot of fan service.

I get this writer thinks Marvel hasn't earned that moment and is pandering but she's wrong just like the men who think this was a political message about the future of the MCU. While female empowering due to it being all female it wasn't designed that way it was "Hey we got all our female heroes together and may never get this again why not give them a moment together for their fans" that's it it's fan service like a lot of the movie and from I've seen most fans liked it.

I personally agree with the article, but understand why others wouldn't.

It actually took me out of the moment in the middle of that fight and felt like a 'see, we have women, too!' moment after the vast majority of the movie was pretty male centric.

All I saw was OPTIONS AT HALLOWEEN for little girls.

Give me trick or treats from every Okoye, Shuri, Valkyrie, Cap Marvel, Rescue, Mantis, Scarlet Witch, Gamora, Nebula, and Wasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I didn't roll my eyes for once at inclusiveness, so it worked
    Well that proves it. May as well close the thread. We never agree on anything so everyone must be in accord!

Extraordinary Member

It was kind of silly how it happened, but I think the film earned the right to have a silly moment by that point, even if the feminism was seemingly forced there. I was thinking 'thank god Captain Marvel isn't just going to save the day by herself' instead of thinking about the 'girl power!' symbolism of the moment. I guess I just didn't feel that it was something that needed to be earned given how minor it ended up being during a final battle with so much going on.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I both liked it and thought it was pretty cringe inducing/cheesy.

The article broke it down well. It does seem a little patronizing when they only have one female led-movie out of the 20 odd movies they had, and seemingly no current plans beyond Black Widow to give anyone else a shot. Plus Carol was barely in this, which is somewhat justified as she's the game breaker, but still. And what is Mantis going to do to help out Captain Marvel that she needs to be there? Like the author says, girl power is all well and good, but I'd feel better with fatass Thor as my backup.

I was happy for the moment. All the women together in one place reminded me just how many Marvel has managed to popularize.

But yah, nonsensical. They didn't even talk to each other, but all just started marching, which was kind of weird. Like they were all on their way to the one, single women's restroom in the area or something.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I'm happy anytime they give Scarlett Witch something to do in these flicks. Especially when it's unrelated to the Vision.

She's an underused gem, Olsen rocks it. Hopefully the character can get out of the Vision storyline.

BANNED

The idea that a scene of women superheroes has to be earned at all before it can be shown is kind of disgusting, imo.

The only cringey final battle moment for me was Wasp and Ant-Man. And I love their chemistry. The look they shared was silly.

The A-Force saving Peter Parker was up there with "I knew it!" and "On your left," for me.

The Avengers Assemble line fell a little flat for me, too, but that was due to being overhyped on my part.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium