Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Default GoT spoilers inbound - Revisiting the list of "best fighters in GoT"

Soooooo with the battle of Winterfell in the books and the Night King turned into cocktail ingredients, how would you rank the GoT fighters now, ladies and gents?

Living fighters as of the beginning of e03 only...

Arya has to jump to the top of the list, she's a tornado of destruction against the dead. Add that to the casual way she chucks daggers made of glass in e02, and hits everything she shoots at with a bow when she's on the wall...

Theon obviously shoots up the list.

Jorah has a fantastic last stand kind of thing.

Brienne fights better then we've ever seen her, but she's not untouchable or anything.

The Hound is still huge and brutal.

Even Jamie was pretty effective.

Opinions?
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Arya is decent but she had to be rescued by Beric and Clegane when she was overwhelmed. I think Jon and.... jorah are top of the list since they solo faced down such overwhelming numbers with Theon not far behind

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Arya is decent but she had to be rescued by Beric and Clegane when she was overwhelmed. I think Jon and.... jorah are top of the list since they solo faced down such overwhelming numbers with Theon not far behind
    Ehhhhhhh, that whole thing was weird, and seemed to really work towards setting up the prophecy ending for Dondorian, and the re-establishment of the prophecy for Arya. She kills dozens of the dead purely solo, sometimes more than one at a time with single swings, while surrounded, and looks to be having basically fun doing it, then gets into the hide and seek situation in the library, suddenly looking and acting scared. Inside the library there were like 8 of the dead, separated by shelves and all kinds of stuff. She could have fully gone Batman on their asses (and does, to one only), but doesn't...to further the plot. Seriously, look at what she does on the walls. She kills more of the dead in a couple of minutes then any other named character does in the episode, and is in perfect control of the combat area while doing so.
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Ehhhhhhh, that whole thing was weird, and seemed to really work towards setting up the prophecy ending for Dondorian, and the re-establishment of the prophecy for Arya. She kills dozens of the dead purely solo, sometimes more than one at a time with single swings, while surrounded, and looks to be having basically fun doing it, then gets into the hide and seek situation in the library, suddenly looking and acting scared. Inside the library there were like 8 of the dead, separated by shelves and all kinds of stuff. She could have fully gone Batman on their asses (and does, to one only), but doesn't...to further the plot. Seriously, look at what she does on the walls. She kills more of the dead in a couple of minutes then any other named character does in the episode, and is in perfect control of the combat area while doing so.
    She got hit in the head pretty hard and that got her out of the zone which was why she started to play defense. Even the hound stopped fighting for a couple of minutes and kinda resigns himself to die.

A part of me wants Dolorous Edd on the list too, maybe as an honorable mention. He would have done more but had to protect Sam's ass
    Last edited by Flashback; 04-29-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Arya is almost certainly the most skilled, though she's small enough to where other characters on the list could conceivably take her. I think Jon has cemented himself as the guy to beat in straight battlefield presence. He has made a habit of killing his way through battlefields of overwhelming numbers to come out unscathed on the other side. Even pre-hand Jamie was brought low before he could finish carving his path of carnage in the Whispering Wood, but Jon has pulled it off twice now.

By comparison, post hand Jamie and Brienne had to watch each other's backs during the battle of Winterfell and still wound up overwhelmed and pinned by the dead eventually, and Ser Jorah managed to fight off a lot of dead to keep his queen alive but wasn't able to clear a path through like Jon did and wound up dying. Jon was IIRC still running and dodging dragon fire up until the end.

Edit: I suppose one could make a case that Jon was fresher-- he joined the melee late to the party after all.

Shes definitely skilled and suffered from a bit of PIS but she was also decisively overwhlemed by the dead and about to die. Clegane then picked her up on one hand and carried her away and she was definitely in shock and not in control for the next few moments as Beric died

You could argue it was because of overwhelming numbers or something but she both lost control and needed to be saved. She didn't solo clear a path through or anything

And in terms of total kills the sheer number of bodies lying beside Jorah and Theon at the end would indicate a greater count. Also the dogpile that worked on Arya, wasn't as big as the dogpile that didn't work on Brienne and Jamie. You could argue that it has more to do with size of the fighter but it is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
    She got hit in the head pretty hard and that got her out of the zone which was why she started to play defense. Even the hound stopped fighting for a couple of minutes and kinda resigns himself to die.

A part of me wants Dolorous Edd on the list too, maybe as an honorable mention. He would have done more but had to protect Sam's ass
    Clegane stopped and started quitting mostly due to the fire

And if Arya got "hit on the head" hard that makes others like Jorah even more impressive for having arguably the biggest kill count by the end given that he starts with like his face melted off within the first minutes of the battle

Quote Originally Posted by The Dork Knight View Post
    Clegane stopped and started quitting mostly due to the fire

And if Arya got "hit on the head" hard that makes others like Jorah even more impressive for having arguably the biggest kill count by the end given that he starts with like his face melted off within the first minutes of the battle
    I realize the lighting for that battle was basically straight up the worst, but I don't recall Jorah ever getting his face melted off.

https://youtu.be/rk68Fj-IRKA

Around 3:05 there's something wrong with his face like it's been mauled or something and Tormund does a double take. Obviously it's unlikely to have been "melted off" since fire is pretty much the opposite of what the dead do but he's face was fucked up pretty bad from that point onwards

That's just blood, cuts and mind blowingly shitty lighting as far as the intentional choice to shoot the scenes in as much darkness as possible. When he's defending Daenerys later his face is basically normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unj6Ttp3GuY

Like at around 0:50 onwards. It's just normal blood and cuts on his face once we see it clearly. His face is fine, relatively speaking.
    Last edited by Pendaran; 04-29-2019 at 10:06 PM.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Arya seems to be right at the top as far as versatile skill goes.

Jon seems to have the best battlefield survival skills, as he has, on multiple occasions, moved his way through a battlefield while killing things (usually while wounded). This time after taking a hell of a fall.

Jorah and Theon both get top marks for the amount they laid waste to this time.

Honorable mention to Tormund and Gendry, who appear to be on top of a pile of bodies hammering away at things around them.

Most improved might go to Pod though, since he’s still standing with Jamie and Brienne after everything.
    Last edited by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade; 04-30-2019 at 12:29 AM.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Yeah, I didn't mention Jon because he didn't really move: he was already clearly top tier, this didn't do any more than confirm that.

He's definitely above Brienne and post-hand Jamie.

And yeah, Pod got some definite love in e2 and e3.

Jorah killed several foes after getting stabbed through the chest, so he does have that going for him.

Extraordinary Member Iron_Twister's Avatar

...unrelated but is it proper to say any of these guys scored kills to warrant having the dynasty warriors soundtrack playing in the background? I'm sorta floaty on that decision.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Yeah, I didn't mention Jon because he didn't really move: he was already clearly top tier, this didn't do any more than confirm that.

He's definitely above Brienne and post-hand Jamie.

And yeah, Pod got some definite love in e2 and e3.

Jorah killed several foes after getting stabbed through the chest, so he does have that going for him.
    I personally found Jon somewhat overrated until the Battle of the Bastards, which really shot him up by my estimation. Repeating that performance on an even nuttier battlefield feels worth mentioning.