Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I personally found Jon somewhat overrated until the Battle of the Bastards, which really shot him up by my estimation. Repeating that performance on an even nuttier battlefield feels worth mentioning.
    Yeah, basically Battle of the Bastards was what established Jon as top tier for me as well. And yeah, he didn't do anything to lose ground in this fight.

Pretty impressive that ep3 would have only the second most insane battle of the weekend, right?
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Props to Jorah for even just escaping the initial wave of Wights, somehow some way.

Also, one Tweet: "Is Jon Snow an American Bank, cuz he keeps getting bailed out!"

ANYway, in terms of pure skill, Arya's at the top, but her size and youth make her a glass fighter. She's certainly shot up the ranks but those physical barriers are immense.

Theon definitely went up, but also, who would've thunk it either? While he was never a slouch, his time as Reek was extremely debilitating. On the other hand, I'm going to bet that he had a 100% hit ratio with his bow and arrow.

Jorah did himself proud, and certainly went down with the same skill and stamina that helped conquer cities next to Grey Worm and Daario. Considering the pot shots about his age from the other fighters, he acquitted himself more than well.

Tormund isn't the powerhouse he used to be, though this battle doesn't quite indicate that. Older episodes went from him being a savage, animalistic team wrecker to someone with more than a few moments of wide-eyed fear.

Off-screen feat -- the Hound kept back at least a hallway full of wights. Right after Arya left the room, we know he succeeded since he was protecting Melissandre and they both made it out.

Imaginary Feat of Sorrow: Man, Oberyn would've been *super* useful here, if, again, Dynasty Warriors taught us anything.

By virtue of taking down a giant when it took four of the best Nights Watch to do the same thing, Lyanna Mormont unexpectedly joins the list (though at the bottom) in her first and last battle. Godspeed, Lady Mormont. You did your house -- and Winterfell -- proud.

Pretty sure the folks who shot the fight took cues from Mark Millar Leonidas.

"Then we'll fight in the shade !"
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Jon Snow is now good enough with a sword to live up to his own hype. The Battle for Winterfell bumps him up to Hound level in my eyes. He's much more in control of his own fate during his long fight take, surviving with more skill than luck compared to the Battle of the Bastards. And he survived an almost implausibly long time fighting zombies while completely surrounded and alone after his dragon crashed.

Arya has far more tools in her "kill people" toolbox than Jon, and can both tear through and ghost through a battlefield. But her soak and stamina are clearly inferior, so she'll lose in a straight fight even though she brings more to the table in terms of potential impact and versatility.

Brienne proves once again that, while she's an incredible duelist, her battlefield sense could use some work. She's at the Hound's level one on one, but lets herself get piled on too easily in a chaotic meelee.

We now know the absolute limit of Jorah's ability to tank damage and keep fighting and it is ridiculous. The guy was stabbed through vital organs multiple times. Pretty sure the spear that somehow went straight through his breastplate head on should have pierced his heart. But he kept on trucking and stood firm, allowing himself to die only after Dany's enemies were gone. His skill and stats remain simply above the average soldier, but his soak bumps him above people like Beric and Edd.
    Last edited by Lord Falcon; 04-30-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Typo

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Jon Snow is now good enough with a sword to live up to his own hype. The Battle for Winterfell bumps him up to Hound level in my eyes. He's much more in control during his long fight take, surviving with more skill than luck compared to the Battle of the Bastards.

Arya has far more tools in her "kill people" toolbox than Jon, and can both tear through and ghost through a battlefield. But her soak and stamina are clearly inferior, so she'll lose in a straight fight even though she brings more to the table in terms of potential impact and versatility.

Brienne proves once again that, while she's an incredible duelist, her battlefield sense could use some work. She's at the Hound's level one on one, but lets herself get piled on too easily in a chaotic meelee.

We now know the absolute limit of Jorah's ability to tank damage and keep fighting and it is ridiculous. The guy was stabbed through vital organs multiple times. Pretty sure the spear that somehow went straight through his breastplate head on should have pierced his heart. But he kept on trucking and stood firm, allowing himself to die only after Dany'd enemies were gone. His skill and stats remain simply above the average soldier, but his soak bumps him above people like Berric and Edd.
    To be fair, Beric took a lot of stabbing before he went down (and still managed to drag his body to safety first).
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    To be fair, Beric took a lot of stabbing before he went down (and still managed to drag his body to safety first).
    Oh definitely! Beric took a lot of punishment before biting the dust.

The difference is that Beric was repeatedly overwhelmed after he started taking damage. His only contribution after he started limping was using his soak to physically slow the zombie horde down. Granted he was swordless at this point, but it still means we lack any feats of him actually fighting effectively despite his damage. Jorah kept actively cutting down zombies until the end.
    Last edited by Lord Falcon; 04-30-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Falcon View Post
    Oh definitely! Beric took a lot of punishment before biting the dust.

The difference is that Beric was repeatedly overwhelmed after he started taking damage. His only contribution after he started limping was using his soak to physically slow the zombie horde down. Granted he was wordless at this point, but it still means we lack any feats of him actually fighting effectively despite his damage. Jorah kept actively cutting down zombies until the end.
    When, one second he went from holding the hallway in crucifixtion style to hold them back, and then the next second he's right behind Arya and the Hound getting into the room, my friends and I joked, "NO! I have one more scene left in my contract!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    When, one second he went from holding the hallway in crucifixtion style to hold them back, and then the next second he's right behind Arya and the Hound getting into the room, my friends and I joked, "NO! I have one more scene left in my contract!"
    Hahaha. Honestly it would have been a better scene to let Beric die right there. We could call him Hohall.