Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't even see how much they can change at this point aside from maybe a few cosmetic details to Sonic's design in the final CG touch-ups. They're not going to wholesale change his design to match the games better.
    The movie isn't out until November. They can save themselves some time by using some of the fan fixes that hit the internet the day after the trailer dropped. I'm not sure how much additional post production work it will take to change the design but it feels they have the time to do it.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Assuming they're taking into account the man power required to finish the film, I doubt any re-designs will be all that drastic. If they're hoping to preserve the majority of the animation that already exists (at this point most of it has already been completed) they won't be adjusting the character model's proportions at all. If they adjust his body shape/proportions it would likely destroy the character rigs. If they have to do too much damage control on the rigs, much of the animation won't be salvageable. Re-animating an almost completed film will either require the release date to be pushed back, or for many additional artists to be brought onto the team last minute.

Realistically what's going to happen is a dramatic change in hair/fur effects, and texture. That wouldn't affect much of the existing animation, and only require rendering the new effects. It is unlikely that most of the film has begun final renders. That's not to diminish the work of hair/fur artists of course. They have the most technically frustrating job in CGI. But it's the difference between a small team of technical artists working overtime, and hundreds of animators.

Assuming that Sonic does appear in the majority of the movie's shots anyway. If he's only prominently featured for a third of the shots in a 90-ish minute long film it might not be that problematic to: re-design, re-model, re-rig, re-animate, and re-texture the film by the current release date.

But then there's the conspiracy theory going around that Sonic was re-designed months ago after the leaked promotional images received a poor reception. They put out a trailer knowing the reaction will be bad as it will take over social media for a few days. That's a lot of publicity when you plan to announce a re-design shortly after.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    Assuming they're taking into account the man power required to finish the film, I doubt any re-designs will be all that drastic. If they're hoping to preserve the majority of the animation that already exists (at this point most of it has already been completed) they won't be adjusting the character model's proportions at all. If they adjust his body shape/proportions it would likely destroy the character rigs. If they have to do too much damage control on the rigs, much of the animation won't be salvageable. Re-animating an almost completed film will either require the release date to be pushed back, or for many additional artists to be brought onto the team last minute.

Realistically what's going to happen is a dramatic change in hair/fur effects, and texture. That wouldn't affect much of the existing animation, and only require rendering the new effects. It is unlikely that most of the film has begun final renders. That's not to diminish the work of hair/fur artists of course. They have the most technically frustrating job in CGI. But it's the difference between a small team of technical artists working overtime, and hundreds of animators.

Assuming that Sonic does appear in the majority of the movie's shots anyway. If he's only prominently featured for a third of the shots in a 90-ish minute long film it might not be that problematic to: re-design, re-model, re-rig, re-animate, and re-texture the film by the current release date.

But then there's the conspiracy theory going around that Sonic was re-designed months ago after the leaked promotional images received a poor reception. They put out a trailer knowing the reaction will be bad as it will take over social media for a few days. That's a lot of publicity when you plan to announce a re-design shortly after.
    Heard something similar and it's also why they used a song that makes no sense for the movie in the trailer. They wanted to be as shocking as possible for attention.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Heard something similar and it's also why they used a song that makes no sense for the movie in the trailer. They wanted to be as shocking as possible for attention.
    Hmmm...if it was a ‘conspiracy’ it might be working. I hadn’t been following this movie and hadn’t seen the trailer until my local news website ran the story of the director saying the design would change . I don’t remember that website mentioning the trailer when it first came out... I did check out the trailer with the story and boy does sonic look creepy. Now I am curious about how it will change. Hmmm...

Yea iono another poster said there was some inside Sega joke for the reason they used that Song though so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by cc008 View Post
    I'll see it. I don't care. Could Sonic look better? Sure. But I recognize him. I know that's Sonic.

Not like Bay's TMNT.
    The J-man

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Hmmm...if it was a ‘conspiracy’ it might be working. I hadn’t been following this movie and hadn’t seen the trailer until my local news website ran the story of the director saying the design would change . I don’t remember that website mentioning the trailer when it first came out... I did check out the trailer with the story and boy does sonic look creepy. Now I am curious about how it will change. Hmmm...
    considering tim miller is executive producer

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...-marsden-sega/

Sonic made $57 million this weekend. It outgrossed Detective Pikachu which drew $54 million. It's projected to make $68 million for the four day weekend. My boy Sonic on the road to success.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...-marsden-sega/

Sonic made $57 million this weekend. It outgrossed Detective Pikachu which drew $54 million. It's projected to make $68 million for the four day weekend. My boy Sonic on the road to success.
    The Blue Blur finally has a win !

I caught an early showing Friday. As a fan of Sonic growing up, I loved it.

There's a mid credit scene so stay put. Sets it up nicely for the sequel, which, apparently is very likely to happen. There's no post credits scene, though. Since I stayed that long, the theater attendant got into a conversation with me and said he thinks it will do bad because of some 2006 Sonic game that was full of bugs. I didn't know what he was talking about since my Sonic knowledge plateaued with Sonic Adventure 2, but...seems the movie did just fine regardless.

Will Amy be in the sequel as the love interest?

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    My lore on the series is rusty (again, nothing past Sonic Adventure 2), but wasn't she more of a stalker than a full-fledged love interest?

Ok stalker might be too strong, but she seems maybe just a level below that.

But yeah, I doubt it, but anything is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    It depends on what they adapt, but I can see them introducing more Classic era characters in the sequel, although I think the main one will probably be Knuckles.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It depends on what they adapt, but I can see them introducing more Classic era characters in the sequel, although I think the main one will probably be Knuckles.
    When Knuckles shows up he'll have a lot to answer for.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    When Knuckles shows up he'll have a lot to answer for.
    Lol why.?

10char