Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Sonic The Hedgehog Trailer

Well... here it is everyone. The official trailer for the Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

Ummm... pass
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

It's a movie about Sonic The Hedgehog. I guess it looks as good as it was ever going to look.

But did someone Google, "popular 90's songs" and just pick the first thing that came up? Because, "Gangsta's Paradise" is a really random song for this.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Gangsta's Paradise doesn't fit Sonic at all. Who the hell made that choice?

Jim Carrey is going to make for a fun Eggman from the looks of it. At least both he and both will be game accurate as far as character goes.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

It's about what a Sonic The Hedgehog film deserves. Very little of what I saw in that trailer would be out of place in one of the games. Sonic himself looks horrific, but in general the film feels fairly genuine. Not good, but an honest attempt.

Jim Carey should be fun as Eggman, even if I have no plans to see the movie.

Also, the tagline should have been "Every saga has a genesis."

Obviously.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

and people say my fanfic ruined sonic for them.

BANNED

I'm more a Sonic fan than I am a die-hard Pokemon fan, but with Detective Pikachu's trailers I actually feel something.

This is a soulless grab for cash and very naive little kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I'm more a Sonic fan than I am a die-hard Pokemon fan, but with Detective Pikachu's trailers I actually feel something.

This is a soulless grab for cash and very naive little kids.
    Cannot agree more. I can't help but juxtapose the two movies, and even non-Pokemon fans seem ready for this movie. And it doesn't hurt that Detective Pikachu is staying true to the look of the source material, whereas here it's just the sound effects.

If this is another attempt by Sega to challenge Nintendo once more, this is, once again, a piss poor start for Sega. The thing is, it doesn't seem that complicated to adapt Sonic in light of this trailer. But the biggest difference between Sonic and Detective Pikachu is that the former tries to imagine Sonic in the real world, whereas the latter imagines the world of Pikachu *as* the real world itself. It's a small difference, but it's huge when it comes to audience immersion.

BANNED

Sonic's a difficult beast to adapt, what with all the legal wranglings stemming from the various mediums that have created original stories, Ken Penders etc.

Pokemon has no such constraints.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Cannot agree more. I can't help but juxtapose the two movies, and even non-Pokemon fans seem ready for this movie. And it doesn't hurt that Detective Pikachu is staying true to the look of the source material, whereas here it's just the sound effects.

If this is another attempt by Sega to challenge Nintendo once more, this is, once again, a piss poor start for Sega. The thing is, it doesn't seem that complicated to adapt Sonic in light of this trailer. But the biggest difference between Sonic and Detective Pikachu is that the former tries to imagine Sonic in the real world, whereas the latter imagines the world of Pikachu *as* the real world itself. It's a small difference, but it's huge when it comes to audience immersion.
    The Poke-Verse?

IMO, he movie goes even further than the anime ever did as they have Pokemon fully enmeshed into society and working in bars and coffee shops and whatnot.

I'm remembering that part of the trailer where we saw a Psyduck and her Partner (with the same blank stare yet).

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post

Sega itself isn't happy with Sonic's movie design. Sonic's creator isn't a fan. The movies director alluded to Sega not being happy with it but he's sticking with it for whatever reason.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

I don't think this trailer deservers so much hate. Far from perfect but I've seen far worse

Pros:

Jim Carrey: Funny as hell. Its like if Ace Ventura was a villain
    Story: The plot looks good

Cons:

Sonic: Man, he looks horrible. Almost disturbing
    Soundtrack: Do I really need to explain this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    The Poke-Verse?

IMO, he movie goes even further than the anime ever did as they have Pokemon fully enmeshed into society and working in bars and coffee shops and whatnot.

I'm remembering that part of the trailer where we saw a Psyduck and her Partner (with the same blank stare yet).
    I meant Poke-verse. Sorry, my bad.

But it would've been just as easy (but just as disastrous) if the filmmakers imagined Detective Pikachu as falling into the real world and trying to solve the mystery there. Then we'd all be groaning collectively.

The Sonic movie would've been likely been way better received if it was about Sonic in his world. After all, even his physics and the environments themselves are built for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Sonic's a difficult beast to adapt, what with all the legal wranglings stemming from the various mediums that have created original stories, Ken Penders etc.
    In other words, too many cooks in the kitchen. And that's always been Sonic's problem since the mid-90s.

So was this sitting in a Paramount Vault since 1997 and someone just found it?

This looks like it has the making of every bad video game adaption ever. Did anyone really want to see Sonic in the real world and interacting with real humans? At least to this degree and with all the game stuff taken out?

I feel bad for Jason Marsden stuck playing the token human. Couldn't he have, I dunno, voiced Knuckles?

Jim Carrey's Eggman feels like a Jim Carrey character, which should be fun even if it's not what I was hoping for, although the ending teases him looking more like he does in the games.

I wonder if that military unit will be called GUN. Poor Neil McDonough though...

Eggman's robots look straight out of '06, which isn't necesarilly a compliment but I guess it fits what this movie is going for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    It's about what a Sonic The Hedgehog film deserves. Very little of what I saw in that trailer would be out of place in one of the games. Sonic himself looks horrific, but in general the film feels fairly genuine. Not good, but an honest attempt.
    I dunno, when I see the "Green Hills" thing it doesn't seem very genuine to me.

About the most genuine thing was Sonic running and destroying robots, which was the best-looking thing in the trailer.