Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    Batman and Joker team ups are very rare, but I don't think they should ever team up in main continuity stories. Batman should despise everything The Joker is, and there should be no reason extreme enough that he willing works with Joker. And why would he even trust him? If Batman wouldn't work with Huntress in the 90's, there is no reason he should work with The Joker.

However, did you read White Knight? That was an excellent exploration of the Batman/Joker dynamic from several different angles, and was beautiful to look at. It really benefited from being it's own continuity.

I'm not reading TBWL, but it doesn't really sound like my kinda thing. Is TBWK the "narrator" in that book? Does it delve into his psyche and offer insight into how his mind works, who he is and why he is doing what he is doing? Also, does it explain how he is doing what he is doing (he is, after all, not native to our Earth), or is he just able to do/know things because the story needs him to?

I liked the New 52 Joker, at least he felt like a threat again. I'm still annoyed we never got the most interesting story from this era; how the pale man who visits Bruce in the park becomes The Joker again. What happened when he was resurrected, what did he do, was he sane, how did he find out about his past, how did he become The Joker again, was it intentional, and accident or forced? But he just showed up as Joker again at the start of DK:M with no explanation.
    Man you hate Morrison Batman but think White Knight does a good job of exploring the Batman/Joker relationship? Where Joker is SGM’s self-insert, has magic pills that make him sane, and is a complete mess of a character? To each their own but that’s a new one.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Man you hate Morrison Batman but think White Knight does a good job of exploring the Batman/Joker relationship? Where Joker is SGM’s self-insert, has magic pills that make him sane, and is a complete mess of a character? To each their own but that’s a new one.
    To be fair, I dislike Morrison's Joker, too.

As for White Knight, as far as I am concerned anything set in out of continuity stories is fair game (I love a good Elseworlds/What-If/Imaginary Story) as long as it's an enjoyable read. WK is a fun story that explores things I never want to see in an in continuity Batman comic. If it were supposed to be canon, my opinion would be very different.

"Sane pills" (a perfect description, btw) are fine for this type of story, as it gets us to a repentant Joker quickly so the plot can move from there. That said, I have a high tolerance for comic book nonsense. My second favourite comic book character was bitten by a radio-active spider that resulted in a series of incredibly inconsistent powers. I mean, Batman himself regularly fights a crocodile man.

All writing (and art) is, to one degree or another, a self-insert. I don't know anything about Sean Murphy outside of his comic book work, so can't say how close his Joker is to his personal views, but I rarely base my enjoyment of a work on it.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!