View Poll Results: I want an exclusive, steering-wheel-less car in the future

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want the jerks off the road and want to do something other than drive

9 56.25%
  • No, I want to go Fast and be Free, it is my right.

7 43.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    We associate driving with freedom because that's what the automakers and their marketing campaigns want us to think. Sure, there are times when driving can be exhilarating and liberating, but arguably it is a tedious and frustrating slog the majority of the time, and when stuck in traffic during the morning commute I'd much rather just be able to zone out and listen to music or something rather than having to pay attention to the road

Yeah you need to be on a "train-car" where you are not a danger to proper drivers.

... as silly as someone who insists on taking the stairs because they don't trust the elevator.
    Or they know it's so freaking over-crowded, someones is hitting every stop, and filled with fat farting slobs, so the "silly" stairs are actually faster (good exercise!) and healthier.
    Although in traffic if we've really surrendered all lanes to the "train-car" that would more aptly apply to taking your bike, before the "train-car".
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-02-2019 at 12:14 PM.

. . . Sure, there are times when driving can be exhilarating and liberating, but arguably it is a tedious and frustrating slog the majority of the time, and when stuck in traffic during the morning commute I'd much rather just be able to zone out and listen to music or something rather than having to pay attention to the road and all the idiots making my life more difficult than it needs to be.
    No mass transit options where you are?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    No mass transit options where you are?
    I mean that's a large chunk of the US. Either it doesn't exist, or it's completely unreliable.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    I mean that's a large chunk of the US. Either it doesn't exist, or it's completely unreliable.
    If you're stuck in an area where you constantly sit in traffic for long stretches as part of the regular commute to and from work, chances are that some mass transit may be available for that stretch, no matter how miserable it may be.
    There's no mass transit in my town (besides calling a cab or seeing if the dial-a-ride service happens to be available then), but along the Interstate-95 stretch there is train service (MetroNorth) and you can drive down to that (though parking may not be easy/cheap). Thankfully, I rarely had a job where I had to drive a long distance in the same direction as the worst flow of the commute.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    If you're stuck in an area where you constantly sit in traffic for long stretches as part of the regular commute to and from work, chances are that some mass transit may be available for that stretch, no matter how miserable it may be.
    There's no mass transit in my town (besides calling a cab or seeing if the dial-a-ride service happens to be available then), but along the Interstate-95 stretch there is train service (MetroNorth) and you can drive down to that (though parking may not be easy/cheap). Thankfully, I rarely had a job where I had to drive a long distance in the same direction as the worst flow of the commute.
    Not in Michigan, though we're more the exception to the rule due to auto manufacturers interference.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    [ROADRAGEALERT]

By zipper I'm talking about when two lanes merge into one, or there is a merging on-ramp into thick traffic, it all works smooth when it zippers one-to-one from each lane. Yet there is always some jerk that doesn't understand how a zipper works, and wants to merge in as two cars at once , like they are attached, or doesn't want to let a "new" car in. Or worse when some insecure jerk that decides to pause and wait for the "correct" spot (which is never big enough for them) , and holds everyone back in their lane cause their inability to drive. LOL!

What you are talking about sounds more like weaving, which is a whole other thing.
    And usually caused by some idiot in the far left speed/passing lane going the same speed as the slower lane to their right so nobody can get ahead, (you can usually see them with a smug look on their face like _i'm controlling everyone's speed, like it's their freaking duty LOL!).
    To to get passed them people are forced to weave through the slower lanes.
    Don't blame the weavers, blame the idiot whose decided to lock up the speed/passing lane.

[/ROADRAGEALERT]

Yeah, if that's what you want, what you need to be on is a scheduled train. Where everyone's "car/compartment" is locked (or surrendered) into one "program".
    That you also want it(your personal compartment) to now also continue and end up in your personal garage, just shows what a self-centered control freak you are.

I'll stick with the rogues.
    LOL thanks for the spellcheck.
    Control freak? maybe. Much of my interest is that I grew up and live in one of the few cities that does have a decent mass transit system, NYC. I did live for a time though in the DC metro area while covering Washington. Thing of it is despite mass transit options there driving and LA like conditions were the norm for cost and time reason it seems mostly. Mass transit was no cheaper or faster unless you live in the narrow section of DC proper and whatever one may think about the Freedom of the car most Americans spend the bulk of their time in cars coming to and from work. Driving is a nightmare even without the drivers from Maryland.

What particularly struck me about the article apart from the ideas of manual competence was the twin assumptions of Individuality that Car culture connects with and the assumptions of Techno Industrial Mindset to escape the flaws of humanity. Even if you ride the subway everyday you can relate to the latter "technochauvinists” that the article describes as the direction of both the automotive industry and Silicon Valley are already aiming at. My experience with driving is that what frustrates most people is the clash between these "Individualists" and I would call them like myself "functionalists" who can't even agree on what the rules or norms are.

take for example the supposed norm of the passing lane - everyone feels like they are entitled to it, is it constrained by the speed limit or not...
    More and more studies show that Mass Transit is untenable for most of the country and its distribution. So what to do?

Will we get to the point like guns and safety and say let's stop these cowboys and rogues

Quote Originally Posted by Xheight View Post
    LOL thanks for the spellcheck.
    LOL! I didn't even notice that. I was highlighting the word, not the spelling(which I suck at).
    But I see you chose to mess with my name, that's pretty low.

take for example the supposed norm of the passing lane - everyone feels like they are entitled to it, is it constrained by the speed limit or not...
    LOL I suspect from your posts you're likely one of those awful people I was talking about, who is either clueless what that lane is for, or wants to control what others do, by intentionally clogging up the passing/speed lane so no one can get by them.

... some idiot in the far left speed/passing lane going the same speed as the slower lane to their right so nobody can get ahead, (you can usually see them with a smug look on their face like _i'm controlling everyone's speed, like it's their freaking duty LOL!).
    To to get passed them people are forced to weave through the slower lanes.
    Don't blame the weavers, blame the idiot whose decided to lock up the speed/passing lane.

I hate (maybe too strong a word) those drivers who zipper into every open slot regardless of spacing (stay in your lane Ah**e!!!)
    And then you still complain about the weavers who finally manage to pass you having to weave through the other lanes, when you are the one who causes it, and most of the traffic. LOL!
    If that's you, you are awful, if you are not going to use that lane for passing stay out of it LOL!, or better get off the road, and into the pre-programmed train-car you control freak!
    Control freak? maybe.
    Is that you?
    Yes, please turn in your license and get in a self driving vehicle, since you don't know how to drive.
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-02-2019 at 06:54 AM.

LOL I suspect from your posts you're likely one of those awful people I was talking about, who is either clueless what that lane is for, or wants to control what others do, by intentionally clogging up the passing/speed lane so no one can get by them.
    And then you still complain about the weavers who finally manage to pass you having to weave through the other lanes, when you are the one who causes it, and most of the traffic. LOL!
    Suspect no more that probably was me that you passed on the NJ turnpike doing 90 in the right lane while my cruise control train car was doing 80 in the far left lane.

Fully automated driving cant come quickly enough.

Accidents will still happen, but I can pretty much guarantee they'll drop massively. The roads will become much much safer and people can just chill rather than having to watch the road.

For people who compare it to cruise control, I disagree. Cruise control makes it easier for you to zone out when you're supposed to still be driving. This makes it totally safe to zone out.

Astonishing Member

Would it really be that difficult for a car that allows for both?

That's the problem with a lot of modern 'innovations', it's all or nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Would it really be that difficult for a car that allows for both?

That's the problem with a lot of modern 'innovations', it's all or nothing.
    The auto manufacturers found out that people don't like the touch screen consoles in the car. Drivers have to take their eyes off the road to use it. With knobs, people can adjust the AC or radio without looking down. Sometimes engineers get so excited about their new tech, they don't think through its utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The auto manufacturers found out that people don't like the touch screen consoles in the car. Drivers have to take their eyes off the road to use it. With knobs, people can adjust the AC or radio without looking down. Sometimes engineers get so excited about their new tech, they don't think through its utility.
    all too true, that is why designers not fad chasers are important. Is the dream of a robot car a fad though for I do see how the two do become mutually exclusive.

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

We associate driving with freedom because that's what the automakers and their marketing campaigns want us to think. Sure, there are times when driving can be exhilarating and liberating, but arguably it is a tedious and frustrating slog the majority of the time, and when stuck in traffic during the morning commute I'd much rather just be able to zone out and listen to music or something rather than having to pay attention to the road and all the idiots making my life more difficult than it needs to be. The technology for self-driving may not be there yet, but it will reach a point eventually where somebody insisting they drive themselves will come off as silly as someone who insists on taking the stairs because they don't trust the elevator.
    And yet we still have stairs as well as elevators in a building. In an emergency, I can use stairs. Options are good. People having the freedom of choice is good.
    I like good things.
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyer View Post
    And yet we still have stairs as well as elevators in a building. In an emergency, I can use stairs. Options are good. People having the freedom of choice is good.
    I like good things.
    And taking the stairs can be a good form of exercise without having to block out time to go a gym or something!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

We associate driving with freedom because that's what the automakers and their marketing campaigns want us to think. Sure, there are times when driving can be exhilarating and liberating, but arguably it is a tedious and frustrating slog the majority of the time, and when stuck in traffic during the morning commute I'd much rather just be able to zone out and listen to music or something rather than having to pay attention to the road and all the idiots making my life more difficult than it needs to be. The technology for self-driving may not be there yet, but it will reach a point eventually where somebody insisting they drive themselves will come off as silly as someone who insists on taking the stairs because they don't trust the elevator.
    I never take an elevator for short trips (1 or 2 levels). It's not that I don't trust the elevator. It's just that often walking is more convenient.

Also, my typical driving might have a final destination, but I meander at whim in very unpredictable ways. I pass something that piques my interest, and I immediately turn left, going out of my way, instead of right. My life would become just a little bit more boring if I had to file a "flight plan" in advance with my car's AI.
    - "Oh hey, I wonder if my friend is home atm." Suddenly veer left down his street.
    - "Oh snap! I need to pick up something from the LCS." Go a mile out of my way before getting back on track.
    - Etc. Etc.

Sometimes, I even drive just to meander.

And personally, I love love love traffic. Yes, I'm an oddball, because I'm human. I'm never really in a rush to get anywhere, and traffic means I listen to a few more songs or talk radio discussions on... *gasp* terrestrial radio (yeah, none of that digital satellite crap or playlists for me).

If you haven't learned how to zone out while paying attention to the traffic then you're doing it wrong. Other things really aren't that important. Traffic is.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier