Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Top 5 Desert Island Superman Collected Editions

You are indefinitely going somewhere with no internet access (not necessarily a deserted island). You happen to have your Top 5 favorite Superman trade paperbacks with you for potentially the rest of your life.

Scenario has only 3 ironclad caveats:

1. The selection has to be already officially collected in some fashion.

2. Each selection has to tell a singular overall story with a beginning and an end (no anthology-style formats, aka no "Superman in the ___ decade" collections, no "Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told" editions, etc).

3. No single-issues

Mine, right now (subject to change).

1. All-Star Superman
    2. Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow
    3. Reign of the Supermen (no Death of Superman, no Funeral For A Friend, unless a single omnibus edition already exists that covers all 3)
    4. Birthright
    5. Lex Luthor graphic novel

Yours?

1. The Phantom Zone (1982)
    2. World's Finest (first mini-series, 1990)
    3. Speeding Bullets (1993)
    4. Emperor Joker (2000)
    5. Public Enemies (2003)
    Last edited by K7P5V; 05-01-2019 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Made a correction.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

The Greatest Superman Stories Ever Told trade paperback from the 80's - it includes wonderful stories from the Golden, Silver, Bronze, and a post-COIE Byrne issue, including a couple of great imaginary stories
    All-Star Superman
    The 4 that cover his death, the funeral, the new Supermen, and his return as an omnibus - I believe there was either a one or two volume set covering all of it.
    Public Enemies
    Superman and the LSH

I know the first one is against the rules, but I'm breaking that rule. It is too good to not include.
    Last edited by mikelmcknight72; 05-01-2019 at 09:19 AM.

My top five:

1. American Alien
    2. Superman Rebirth Deluxe Edition Vol. 1
    3. Birthright
    4. Absolute All Star Superman
    5. Death & Return of Superman Omnibus - This covers Death, FFAF, Reign and Return all in one massive volume.

1. Birthright
    2. Man and Superman
    3. Earth One volume one
    4. Earth One volume two
    5. Earth One volume three

That kinda worked out. List is liable to change as I read more stories of course.

Spectacular Member

1. The Golden Age Vol. 1 (Siegel & Shuster)
    2. The Adventures of Superman by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez
    3. The Man of Steel (John Byrne) Vol. 1
    4. Brainiac (Geoff Johns)
    5. All-Star Superman (Grant Morrison)

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Unfortunately I suppose that eliminates all but one of the popular pre crisis collections and... I don't really care for Kryptonite Nevermore.

They definitely do have the Death and Return omnibus in a few print runs. It's almost cheating to me though because why would you not pick an omnibus? It's like wishing for more wishes. I have the one with the Jurgens wrap around cover from a few years ago. But yeah that's #1.

#2 would be the Supergirl Saga, which was collected in Man of Steel volume 9. I'm really a sucker for those weird Egyptians and the widescreen panels in the final chapters. Simple but brilliant. I'd have picked Exile but the omnibus is kind of too big a cheat, with all the "other stories" in there.

#3 would be All Star Superman, since it has the best variety within one story arc. It was really developed to be something you read more than once.

#4 would be this upcoming "City of Tomorrow" trade since all four titles shared Y2K as their culmination.

#5 would be Coming of the Supermen, which is short but dense and delightfully insane. Wish the art was more polished but I'll always be a Neal Adams fan.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

1. All Star Superman
    2. Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? (which would also include For the Man Who Has Everything)
    3. The Phantom Zone
    4. Superman: Action Comics- the World Against Superman
    5. Whatever the follow up volume to #4 will be collecting the rest of the Action run

Of the trades with less than six issues, I'd definitely say the Alan Moore trade (Whatever Happened, Jungle Line, Annual 11) would be my favorite read.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Unfortunately I suppose that eliminates all but one of the popular pre crisis collections and... I don't really care for Kryptonite Nevermore.

They definitely do have the Death and Return omnibus in a few print runs. It's almost cheating to me though because why would you not pick an omnibus? It's like wishing for more wishes. I have the one with the Jurgens wrap around cover from a few years ago. But yeah that's #1.

#2 would be the Supergirl Saga, which was collected in Man of Steel volume 9. I'm really a sucker for those weird Egyptians and the widescreen panels in the final chapters. Simple but brilliant. I'd have picked Exile but the omnibus is kind of too big a cheat, with all the "other stories" in there.

#3 would be All Star Superman, since it has the best variety within one story arc. It was really developed to be something you read more than once.

#4 would be this upcoming "City of Tomorrow" trade since all four titles shared Y2K as their culmination.

#5 would be Coming of the Supermen, which is short but dense and delightfully insane. Wish the art was more polished but I'll always be a Neal Adams fan.

Let me just check the interwebs for this thing you speak of ...

Holy crap.

1,100+ pages???

With the JL stories and the specials included?

Yeah, this omnibus edition just became #1 on my list with a bullet! How much?

1. Death and Return of Superman

2. Superman Rebirth Deluxe Edition Vol. 1

3. All Star Superman

4. Public Enemies

5. Birthright

This one likely won't count towards the list, I would also put in Super Sons (Jon Kent and Damian Wayne) Omnibus.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

Holy crap.

1,100+ pages???

They also just released a new edition that, at Jurgens’ request, has the fold out 3 page death scene. I just got this one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

Holy crap.

1,100+ pages???

99. Which for perspective, is 25 less than the 800 page X-Men edition containing X-Men #1.

That's the ticket. I don't have a list here, but basically five big huge hardcover brick-like omnibuses are the way to go, I figure.

I might try to grab a bunch of stuff from different eras of the character's history. Either way, this is one time I think quantity and diversity of content probably wins out over quality of stories. I might really love Absolute All-Star Superman, but it's only twelve issues, and if I only have twelve issues per book, that's... not enough! I definitely need more material than that if I'm going to keep from going mad in an isolated place without internet! Er, even if I do assume I have enough food and insulin not to die in a matter of days to weeks.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    That's the ticket. I don't have a list here, but [b]basically five big huge hardcover brick-like omnibuses are the way to go, I figure.[b]

I might try to grab a bunch of stuff from different eras of the character's history. Either way, this is one time I think quantity and diversity of content probably wins out over quality of stories. I might really love Absolute All-Star Superman, but it's only twelve issues, and if I only have twelve issues per book, that's... not enough! I definitely need more material than that if I'm going to keep from going mad in an isolated place without internet! Er, even if I do assume I have enough food and insulin not to die in a matter of days to weeks.
    So, who remembers this little gem?:

The Complete Frank Miller Batman.

A Leather-bound single volume hardcover containing THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, YEAR ONE, and a 3rd story I never heard of.

Can you imagine ...

The Complete Grant Morrison Superman.

ALL- STAR SUPERMAN + his entire ACTION COMICS vol 2 run in one leather-bound single Volume hardcover?

A) how many pages would that be?

B) how much would something like that cost?