Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Bishop has fans? If so why? What has he ever done to make him relatable or personable?

Quote Originally Posted by Retcon View Post
    Bishop has fans? If so why? What has he ever done to make him relatable or personable?
    Being a good detective? looking good? being badass?

You live under a rock or something?

BANNED

He came from the future, blow many things up and tried to kill a baby. Totally relatable, se deep and interesting. Of course he is extremely popular, it is not like Cable is better than him at everything. Every other X-men has more interesting time travel stories.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Being a good detective? looking good? being badass?
    Yeah, badass, sure...

Quote Originally Posted by 404ArgeTal View Post
    He came from the future, blow many things up and tried to kill a baby. Totally relatable, se deep and interesting. Of course he is extremely popular, it is not like Cable is better than him at everything. Every other X-men has more interesting time travel stories.

Yeah, badass, sure...
    Man, the hate just because Bishop dared to sleep with Jean on a AU that will probably be forgotten. Geezuz

BANNED

But meh, nobody can say anything about him. He is perfect and any writer or fan that doesn't like him is a racist, it can't be because he is boring 90's trash and like every other x-men does horrible things from time to time. Bishop's mistakes have to be ignored.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Man, the hate just because Bishop dared to sleep with Jean on a AU that will probably be forgotten. Geezuz
    Nope, I just hate Bishop. Like everybody he can have people who dislike him. He is not special
    but yeah Jean being reduced for proping him up doesn't help

yeah he's pretty badass

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    yeah he's pretty badass

Why you don't post him killing innocent people, or Charles, or chasing a baby, that is so badass

Nope, I just hate Bishop. Like everybody he can have people who dislike him. He is not special
    Where Jean is being reduced?

seems like your problem with Bishop is because his relationship with Jean

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    JDW was complaining about that mini. According to him Bishop did something very messed up in it & he can't understand how fans have forgiven him.
    https://twitter.com/cracksh0t/status...61035375783937

So not like senior editor is trying to gain him any fans. Unless messed up is good for JDW being he's a fan of Deadpool & liked screwed up relationships.
    This is the kind of thing you mention to your buddy waiting for your extra value meal, before your buddy says "did anyone read that?" and you reply "touche."

It is also the kind of thing you post on Twitter to try to get attention, especially when you act all coy about what the bad thing is like you are spoiling Endgame or something.

gladly

this was a pretty cool moment. never liked xavier anyway

not like any of those ppl matter anyway lol

mannnn this is some good art.

Suuuure it's totally not because he cootie cuddled with, Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I totally understand where you are coming from, as there are strong parallels. And this wouldn't be the first time that Bishop has been used to stand in for someone else's story or is recycling someone else's with a twist (i.e. Rachel), but I don't think that Lorna makes the best lead for the story they are telling. I think she should have a stronger and more prevalent role than what we're seeing, but it's because Lucas has resistance to temporal and reality alterations it makes sense that he would be the focus of the narrative.
    You raise a good point that Bishop's powers and the story dealing with temporal/reality alterations make him a prime (if not the prime) candidate for such a story.

I would say if instead of the prison setting as done here, the book had taken a different approach entirely, like more of a personal Hell angle, I would be fine.

Bishop's version of Hell might be a concentration camp. Lorna's might be the prison setting in the way it's been put forth here. Another character's might be actual Hell. Interactions of characters not realizing their experiences differ could be ironed out with each of them believing certain things said by each other are hyperbole ("that demon guarding the door isn't to be trifled with"), or differences in perception ("boy it's hot in here" "you're kidding, it's freezing"), or even "mental filters" causing them to not say certain things. The book has already been doing it in a much more restrained manner. Why not go further, make it more appropriate for each individual character?

If Marvel had done it in the way I just suggested, I really don't think I'd have the complaints I do. Because it wouldn't be how Lorna was used on Gifted being taken away from her and given to another character. It'd be Bishop leading a book with a much broader theme, of which Lorna in prison is just a subset of the theme.

I'll also add for context: if Lorna had a separate solo, mini, oneshot or book she leads focused on her going on at the same time, I think I wouldn't be as bothered by this as I am. If she had that, Marvel would be showing that having Bishop lead this book and Lorna serve as a supporting character on it (or heck, Lorna not on it at all) isn't out of disrespect toward Lorna, but out of fairness to give a character that isn't Lorna a chance to shine too. But as it is now, it just looks like Marvel saying Lorna should have everything taken away from her, and that they think she's just a minor prop to be exploited for the benefit of other (usually male) characters.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    So the black man should be pushed to the background so the white woman can be front and center? As if black males have it so good in popular culture (syfy/fantasy/comics). Can Bishop just have this leading role, most likely when Hickman takes over he will be pushed to the background again.
    The black man should be the star of a different book that fits his character and nature, not have something needlessly and wrongly taken from a white woman.

Or here's an idea: make Lorna black. I'm serious when I say that. Plenty of Lorna/Magnus family fans have been drawing fanart of them as black, and Marvel's previously changed Nick Fury from white to black. They can do the same for Lorna.

Bishop can and should have a lead role. It's this lead role that I have an issue with. Marvel has a history of taking things away from Lorna and giving them to other characters. That the character Marvel used this time to do it is a black man instead of a white man (Havok) or another white woman (Jean Grey) doesn't make him not part of the problem right now. And frankly, if I don't say something now, Marvel will see "this character is black so we can get away with it" as how to keep doing to her what they've been doing. There are plenty of stories that can be told with Bishop. He doesn't have to take stories away from other characters.

I'm not a Bishop fan, so I can't answer on what fans like about him. But I can say that every character has worth and potential, it's just a matter of a writer tapping into it and expressing it in a way that people understand. There are plenty of characters I've seen people absolutely hate, that are actually perfectly fine if not amazing characters, their value just isn't understood by the haters.

It's why I don't accept "X character doesn't have enough fan interest" as a reason for them to not get opportunities, like I've said for Lorna many times, or for Bishop if he was leading a different book. A company has to make an actual effort to show off what a character offers before they can reasonably say that character won't sell enough or doesn't have enough interest.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I like Bishop because when he was first introduced he was straight business problem solver. Then learning he was the leader of a version of a mash-up of X-factor and X-force got me more excited. It didn't bother me that he was more willing to kill threats than his X-men teammates because in the future he grew up in that was the status quo in his timeline.

Eventually he learned that is not how things are done in this past, and gained his teammates trust. Bishop saved his teammates and the planet when he absorbed a attack Onslaught directed at the X-men saving their lives. Yes Bishop made some mistakes but so have others. Another thing i love about Bishop is he is a X-man fanboy face to face with the people he admires.