Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Cap clearly got amped. How do we know this? Because he was able to use lightning attacks.

The hammer doesn’t have lightning powers. Thor has lightning powers.

Also he didn’t get splatted when Thanos struck him, so it clearly seems his durability got boosted while wielding said hammer.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Quote Originally Posted by Cleric of Hell’s Brigade View Post
    Cap clearly got amped. How do we know this? Because he was able to use lightning attacks.

The hammer doesn’t have lightning powers. Thor has lightning powers.

Also he didn’t get splatted when Thanos struck him, so it clearly seems his durability got boosted while wielding said hammer.
    And I believe he threw the shield hard enough where Thanos felt it
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I would say he got an amp, it's hard to say to what. He clearly got lightning powers, and by Odin's own words AND what we see on-screen, those were Thor's powers, not the hammer's.

He also was able to contribute to blade-locking Thanos effectively for a moment with Thor. Granted, he didn't really move the needle much so it's hard to say by how much.

He also doesn't get splattered taking multiple shots from Thanos, and doesn't get outright killed (but does get momentarily KO'd) when Thanos takes a full on downward smash into the immobile Cap's face while Cap is lying on the ground and incapable of falling back from, rolling with or otherwise evading the blow.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I would say he got an amp, it's hard to say to what. He clearly got lightning powers, and by Odin's own words AND what we see on-screen, those were Thor's powers, not the hammer's.

He also was able to contribute to blade-locking Thanos effectively for a moment with Thor. Granted, he didn't really move the needle much so it's hard to say by how much.

He also doesn't get splattered taking multiple shots from Thanos, and doesn't get outright killed (but does get momentarily KO'd) when Thanos takes a full on downward smash into the immobile Cap's face while Cap is lying on the ground and incapable of falling back from, rolling with or otherwise evading the blow.
    Yeah, but his performance before the hammer against Thanos felt awfully similar. He got wailed on by Ultron with no visible damage. His soak just seems all over the place.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 05-02-2019 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Yeah, but his performance before the hammer against Thanos felt awfully similar. He got wailed on by Ultron with no visible damage. His soak just seems all over the place.
    Super Soldier ?

no.

Super Soaker.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

I think there's just this really noticeable difference between Cap movie Cap and Avengers movie Cap. The first Cap is super human but actually gets injured and meaningfully slowed down by damage. Avengers movie Cap... not so much.

Astonishing Member

He got wailed on by Ultron with no visible damage.
    I remember watching that movie and that part taking me out of it without good enough reason. Just surviving boxing Loki thanks to his skills was better and rehabilitating Winter Soldier while also stopping a Helicarrier with a bullet in his guts was something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Super Soldier ?

no.

Super Soaker.
    Leave at once!

Quote Originally Posted by KJS View Post
    It depends.

Mjolnir should, in theory, have given Steve a massive stats boost - but that certainly didn't appear obvious.

IF it took him to Thor's levels of strength and durability, I'd give him the win with the two impressive weapons at his disposal. If he remains at his usual physical levels, Diana - who was in Doomsday's strength ballpark - would win easily.
    I'm pretty sure he did get that stats boost. Current Thor is stronger than he ever was with Mjnoir. Cap also took a beating from Thanos. He coukd barely stand, but with heer grit he did. Thir likewise took a beating, but the difference is he is simply more durable.

As for the thread, I think Cap wins. Diana can catch the lighting with her bracers but she will fall to Cap's shield hammer combo same as Thanos.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    On the topic of whose powers were in play, I think it's clear that Cap got Thor's powers, albeit vanilla Thor. Odin said whoever held Mjolnir, if worthy, would have the powers of Thor. Even if they did not possess them before.

The whole deal with Ragnarok was Odin making the point that the hammer was only ever a conduit for Thor's latent abilities insofar as Thor needing it to use his own abilities.

In terms of what is presented, I'd say he's meant to be at vanilla Thor levels.

Side bar, dang did Stormbreaker get a hard nerf in this film. Like, Thor being out of shape notwithstanding, that god axe did not live up to the powering through infinity gauntlet blasts from before.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    On the topic of whose powers were in play, I think it's clear that Cap got Thor's powers, albeit vanilla Thor. Odin said whoever held Mjolnir, if worthy, would have the powers of Thor. Even if they did not possess them before.

The whole deal with Ragnarok was Odin making the point that the hammer was only ever a conduit for Thor's latent abilities insofar as Thor needing it to use his own abilities.

Side bar, dang did Stormbreaker get a hard nerf in this film. Like, Thor being out of shape notwithstanding, that god axe did not live up to the powering through infinity gauntlet blasts from before.
    Its just super duper sharp. Stormbreaker that is. And I suppose a more potent power amplifier.

It's less a nerf and more how they chose to use it imo. In IW, Thanos was clearly caught off guard and threw out a reflexive blast. It's kinda his fault he got hit. Endgame Thanos was blocking and dodging instead.

The first 10 mins show us that it's still capable of killing the guy if it hits. He just wasn't letting that happen in the final battle. Even locking blades, he was smart. He never tests his sword against SB directly. When the clash it's his sword hitting the shaft of the axe, not the blade portion. Otherwise it probably would have would have been cut right away.

They DID basically forget that SB can summon the Bifrost though. Could have BFR'd Thanos or used it to get to Tony faster etc
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

I think it only beat that blast because Peter Dibklage put a flaw in the gauntlet for Stormbreaker to exploit. And it didn't land a clean blow on Thanos either. So the big thing is that blade Thanos had was especially durable/potent, but that's backed up by shattering Cap's shield.

Basically, Stormbreaker was never quite as uber as people initially thought it was, though it was still strong enough to cleave through Thanos. But he was working significantly harder to not get cleaved this time around.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 05-04-2019 at 11:54 AM.

I wish I had the ability to cleave through Thanks.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I wish I had the ability to cleave through Thanks.
    *berserker screams* YOU'RE WELCOOOOOOME

Movie ultron wasn't anything impressive power wise though.

His best feat is... flying away with Thor? Somehow holding him off screen (which was so threatening Thor was doing a whedon joke the whole time)?
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html