Default Lensmen vs. Green Lanterns

This thread is born largely out of the fact that I won't be able to see Endgame until probably May 11th and so I'm avoiding CBR for the most part so I don't get spoiled. I'm also currently reading the Lensman books by Doc Smith.

So Lensmen vs. GLs. You can go with whichever versions of the Green Lanterns you think are the most powerful: Silver Age, Bronze, Post-Crisis or current. I'll toss out a bunch of scenarios. Respond to whichever you like.

Standard arena match: Kimball Kinnison vs. Hal Jordan. Kinnison gets a DeLameter, a Lewiston, his armor, his space-axe and, of course, the Lens or anything else as long as it would be considered standard personal equipment. Obviously, he doesn't get a ship. Jordan gets his Power ring.

Same situation but with prep.

All-out war. For whatever reason, the Lensmen and the Green Lanterns go to war against each other. They both get prep and start at opposite ends of an otherwise uninhabited galaxy.

The Arisians versus the Guardians of the Universe. No prep, they just encounter each other and the battle starts. I realize not giving the Arisians prep is taking away the very essence of what they are but giving them prep is virtually an auto-win.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    This thread is born largely out of the fact that I won't be able to see Endgame until probably May 11th and so I'm avoiding CBR for the most part so I don't get spoiled. I'm also currently reading the Lensman books by Doc Smith.

So Lensmen vs. GLs. You can go with whichever versions of the Green Lanterns you think are the most powerful: Silver Age, Bronze, Post-Crisis or current. I'll toss out a bunch of scenarios. Respond to whichever you like.

Standard arena match: Kimball Kinnison vs. Hal Jordan. Kinnison gets a DeLameter, a Lewiston, his armor, his space-axe and, of course, the Lens or anything else as long as it would be considered standard personal equipment. Obviously, he doesn't get a ship. Jordan gets his Power ring.

Same situation but with prep.

All-out war. For whatever reason, the Lensmen and the Green Lanterns go to war against each other. They both get prep and start at opposite ends of an otherwise uninhabited galaxy.

The Arisians versus the Guardians of the Universe. No prep, they just encounter each other and the battle starts. I realize not giving the Arisians prep is taking away the very essence of what they are but giving them prep is virtually an auto-win.
    Well, I'm not too familiar with the Lensman, but I really think that you should know that Howard the Duck defeats Thanos, then destroys the rest of the universe before turning to the camera and saying "You're next."

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Well, I'm not too familiar with the Lensman, but I really think that you should know that Howard the Duck defeats Thanos, then destroys the rest of the universe before turning to the camera and saying "You're next."
    I knew it. Geese and ducks have been nesting on the roofs of buildings where I work. It's the end times, the duckpocalypse.

Mwahahahaha!!!

*twirls moustache... that sits on top of my bill, I guess...?*

Astonishing Member

A stock Lensman has no chance against a Green Lantern as the lens gives no particular compulsive or energy powers. A 2nd stage lensman has massive telepathic attacks and at the bell, Kim might be able to just blast Hal's mind. It's been said that a 2nd stage lensman can paralyze a continent full of folks with a mental blast. Could Hal's strong mind resist that level of mental attack? Might not.

If Hal is not disabled, none of Kim's physical gear will do him any good. He's toast.

As far as Arisia vs. the Guardians with prep, the issues are:

1. The Arisians themselves are immune from all physical attacks. Can't whack them with constructs.
    2. Can the current number of GLs handle millions of very powerful GP battleships (which will come with prep)?
    3. Can OA forces stop a bombardment of superweapons such as sun beams, free planets, FTL planets, antimatter matter planets, strange matter planets? GLs have resisted such levels but there will be a lot of them.
    4. Can Oa resist the ultimate telepathic attack of the Arisians, 3rd Stage Lensfolk, and the combined normal lensmen forged into a blast? That might just fry them.

So how are the GLs and Guardians against the telepathic attacks? If the struggle is prolonged, then the GLs (how many are there now) can probably attrit the GP ships and individual lensmen. The latter have no defenses against GL powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    A stock Lensman has no chance against a Green Lantern as the lens gives no particular compulsive or energy powers. A 2nd stage lensman has massive telepathic attacks and at the bell, Kim might be able to just blast Hal's mind. It's been said that a 2nd stage lensman can paralyze a continent full of folks with a mental blast. Could Hal's strong mind resist that level of mental attack? Might not.

If Hal is not disabled, none of Kim's physical gear will do him any good. He's toast.
    That is a good point. Except for the Second-stage Lensmen, the lens strictly gives them mind-reading, sending thoughts, mind shields and the ability to scan telepathically for minds. I believe that in Kinnison's ultimate telepathic battle, people throughout the city were dying and people were falling unconscious on a continent-wide level from the fallout of his telepathic attacks and the enemy attacks that were bouncing off his mind shield so it is quite possible that even Hal Jordan couldn't stand up to that. Then again, he's the strongest willed of all the GL's and he only has to stand up to it for one hit and his simultaneous hit, well, Kinnison has nothing to stand up to it. He doesn't have a personal inertialess drive. I am assuming the hits will be simultaneous as they both have insane reflexes and the GL Corps is more or less a comic version of the Lensmen.

As far as Arisia vs. the Guardians with prep, the issues are:

1. The Arisians themselves are immune from all physical attacks. Can't whack them with constructs.
    2. Can the current number of GLs handle millions of very powerful GP battleships (which will come with prep)?
    3. Can OA forces stop a bombardment of superweapons such as sun beams, free planets, FTL planets, antimatter matter planets, strange matter planets? GLs have resisted such levels but there will be a lot of them.
    4. Can Oa resist the ultimate telepathic attack of the Arisians, 3rd Stage Lensfolk, and the combined normal lensmen forged into a blast? That might just fry them.
    Remember, this is whichever version has the best chance so that would be 3600 green lanterns.

The gestalt telepathic attack of all the Arisians would probably be more than even the Guardians could stand against especially with the full Galactic Patrol science and technology unleashed on them.

So how are the GLs and Guardians against the telepathic attacks? If the struggle is prolonged, then the GLs (how many are there now) can probably attrit the GP ships and individual lensmen. The latter have no defenses against GL powers.
    I would say that most of the featless GLs are going down to the telepathic attacks which the 2nd stage lensmen can span over an extremely wide area. However, I would suspect that the elite GLs have enough demonstrated resistance to mental attacks that they can at least last long enough to counter-attack- or, again, simultaneous.

The inertialess drives may be a problem as it will take a little time for the GLs to catch on to the fact that direct impact is not going to do anything. But they will soon realize they need to grab, twist and pull or maybe just phase inside the ships.

Overall, the standard GLs win against the standard lensmen. The elite GLs probably win against the elite GLs and the Arisians defeat the Guardians.

I actually pictured the lensmen doing better but I wasn't thinking about the fact that only the 2nd stage lensmen have the really serious damaging telepathic abilities.
    Last edited by Powerboy; 05-01-2019 at 09:27 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    That is a good point. Except for the Second-stage Lensmen, the lens strictly gives them mind-reading, sending thoughts, mind shields and the ability to scan telepathically for minds. I believe that in Kinnison's ultimate telepathic battle, people throughout the city were dying and people were falling unconscious on a continent-wide level from the fallout of his telepathic attacks and the enemy attacks that were bouncing off his mind shield so it is quite possible that even Hal Jordan couldn't stand up to that. Then again, he's the strongest willed of all the GL's and he only has to stand up to it for one hit and his simultaneous hit, well, Kinnison has nothing to stand up to it. He doesn't have a personal inertialess drive. I am assuming the hits will be simultaneous as they both have insane reflexes and the GL Corps is more or less a comic version of the Lensmen.

Remember, this is whichever version has the best chance so that would be 3600 green lanterns.

The gestalt telepathic attack of all the Arisians would probably be more than even the Guardians could stand against especially with the full Galactic Patrol science and technology unleashed on them.

I would say that most of the featless GLs are going down to the telepathic attacks which the 2nd stage lensmen can span over an extremely wide area. However, I would suspect that the elite GLs have enough demonstrated resistance to mental attacks that they can at least last long enough to counter-attack- or, again, simultaneous.

The inertialess drives may be a problem as it will take a little time for the GLs to catch on to the fact that direct impact is not going to do anything. But they will soon realize they need to grab, twist and pull or maybe just phase inside the ships.

Overall, the standard GLs win against the standard lensmen. The elite GLs probably win against the elite GLs and the Arisians defeat the Guardians.

I actually pictured the lensmen doing better but I wasn't thinking about the fact that only the 2nd stage lensmen have the really serious damaging telepathic abilities.
    In the all out battles, the GL corps has no chance. At the end point of the books, when the final attack on Eddore happens, there are literally a billion Lensmen. Oa would be blasted out of the universe, either by a negative Matter Bomb of Planetary mass or by a Sunbeam or by a planet hitting it at about 15 times Light Speed. Even the best lanterns aren't able to withstand a combined mental blast of 100,000 lensmen or more. The COTL could easily wipe out the Guardians by themselves with no help from the rest of the Lensmen. The lensmen fleet at that point had over 2 million ships including, free Planets, The sunbeam, antimatter bombs, maulers, super maulers (Built to engage free planets).The corps couldn't withstand any of these.