Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your opinion on Mala

The Princess of the Amazon's best friend. Would you guys want to see her again? Or should she be left in the era she is in?

I wouldn’t mind it at all, in fact, I would like to see more of the Amazon’s from Diana’s past to be included.

Yeah, the Amazons is one of the areas where the continuity has left a huge mess in the Wonderverse. Diana needs a stable supporting cast among the Amazons even more than she does in Man's World.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I would not only like to see her back, I would like to see her come to mans world. Not necessarily permanently but definitely have an arc where she somehow ends up in mans world.

What should be her role? Should she be head of transformation Island or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Bound4olympus View Post
    I would not only like to see her back, I would like to see her come to mans world. Not necessarily permanently but definitely have an arc where she somehow ends up in mans world.
    I think Mala should be a permanent regular.

Now, that Wonder Woman is an independent operator and career adventurer, I see no reason that Mala should not be her right-hand in Man's World, ..beside Etta Candy. I have said before that I think sunny, inventive, optimistic Mala is a perfect contrast with the modern Etta, who is brash, tough and scrappy. I think she can also bring light to Diana's occasional flirtations with being a hard-case. I think Mala could bring balance to a Diana-Etta character dynamic, better than leaving it to Diana and Etta.

Think of Mala and Etta being narrative extremes, with Diana smack in the middle, in a way very similar to the way Aphrodite and Maggie are presently doing.

I think Mala should be Diana's Alfred, basically, ..handling Diana's field intelligence, technology and maintaining her base/home. Diana needs a good right-hand, and Etta and Steve are poorly suited to that role - if not Ching, then Mala. Furthermore, Mala has full understanding and knowledge of Diana's mystical background and Amazon culture, and I think the comic needs such a character, as regular. I think Diana also needs a sparring partner, who isn't Donna, Superman or Hippolyta, ..in Man's World. Wherever Diana makes her home in Man's World, Mala should be there.

Mala rounds out a classic cast of Diana, Etta, Steve and (sometimes) Hippolyta that has been around, since the Golden Age. The Batman and Superman fans enjoy this in their respective comics, and I see no reason why Wonder-fans should be denied the same. Add Mala and Ferdinand (for comic relief), and leave Hippolyta, Philipis and Paula (or Io) on the island.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-01-2019 at 12:19 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    What should be her role? Should she be head of transformation Island or something else?
    Since there currently doesn't seem to be a transformation island I would have her be Themysciras top amazon. Smartest, fastest, strongest. In the old comics she was the closest match to Diana and I think it would be cool if that was still the case.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I like her. Not a terribly complex character, but she's not exactly given the chance to be since they keep screwing around with the Amazons across the various canons. She and Althea are really the only significant named Amazons to come out of the Golden Age.

I think she should be around.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Yeah, the Amazons is one of the areas where the continuity has left a huge mess in the Wonderverse. Diana needs a stable supporting cast among the Amazons even more than she does in Man's World.
    Yes, something as little as Rucka making up a new Amazon like Sofia (another blonde) who made it to the finals in the Contest when she could have easily just been Mala contributes to this lack of stability between versions. Or Azzarello creating Dess and Aleka to replace Philippus and Artemis respectively. Or Artemis herself in place of the pre-Crisis Orana, or Perez ditching Althea in favor of Epione, etc.

If given the chance, I'd firmly establish the core Amazon cast on the island as:
    Hippolyta (duh)
    Diana's aunts, whomever they may be in the current continuity, because it seems like she as several. Antiope and Menalippe (in her role as the oracle) would be preferred.
    Philippus
    Mala
    Nubia- revamped as Philippus's daughter
    Althea
    Io

How many named Amazons were there? I definitely like the idea of named Amazon characters. My hang up with Mala is I keep thinking of the Kryptonian named Mala. There's dozens of named Kryptonians by now too so yeah.

I say bring her back and use it as an excuse to bring back Transformation Island as well. One of the most iconic things about Wonder Woman early on is she worked to rehabilitate her villains and I see no reason not to work it back into continuity.

As for Marhawkmans question, here is an incomplete list that leaves out a large number of names such as Kara from the newspaper strip. https://comicvine.gamespot.com/amazo...94/characters/

I would like to see Mala again. It has been a long time.

I think one of the best ways to make sure Transformation island can used still while not been able to go home is simply. The Island is far enough away and uses a different way of hiding. In the Island are some of the Amazons enemies and a few magical weapons. Maybe being back the Venus girdles and change to where no person can harm another .

Basing Mala in Man's World represents Diana's Paradise Island origins and the Amazons, without a story literally (physically) involving the Island. That could be useful.

I don't need a Paradise Island full of Amazons shoe-horned into every story, when just one will do.

I think, whether Diana's in a sci-fi story or pulpy, myth-inspired fantasy epic, ..the WW comic needs a supporting regular, who embodies what Diana's background means to us. Wonder Woman's Amazon truth, just like Batman's billionaire truth, should always be represented in the on-going narrative, ..even when the story doesn't directly involve it. That would be Mala's role, just as Alfred does that for Batman - just as Aunt May represents Spider-man's everyman truth. We need to see the meat-of-origin peeking out beneath the superhero spectacle, because it reminds us who the hero is - her/his limitations and purpose. I think that's useful, and that Mala, ..unlike temporaries Zola, Cathy, Rama, Donna Milton, bla'bla...

Would be a useful character, in the long term.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-02-2019 at 05:45 AM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Or how about Diana has transformation Island following her. Like how Perez's version of the Island can go to any where in time. Maybe transformation island be something like that.

As much as I love Hippolyta, she really should remain on the Island, as its monarch - her whole mystique...her contextual dignity, as a character. I don't want to see her traipsing around the Wonder Beach house, ironing Diana's starry bloomers. Beyond a temporary cycle of stories for comic relief, ..it would be the ruin of her.

Mala, on the other hand - the Amazon, who was nearly Wonder Woman - devoting her life to her sister Diana's service...I love the idea! Furthermore, it's perfectly in character for her. I can see the Mala that I remember, growing up, leaving Paradise to aid her best friend's mission in Man's World. Mala could be her sparring partner, communications officer ..and guardian of the weapons in her Amazon arsenal, some of which should be inventions of hers. This character, at her best, has a gentle, hopeful dignity of her own, and I think she would be a great addition to a classic cast.

I know some of you may think that could be Donna's role in the comic. Perhaps, ..but, I'd like to see Donna developed into her own life, elsewhere in the DCU and to see her drop by for the occasional team-up.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 05-02-2019 at 05:52 AM.