Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Default CBR: David Prowse, the Physical Actor Behind Darth Vader, Has Died at 85

Actor David Prowse, known for being the physical actor behind Darth Vader in the original Star Wars film trilogy, has passed away. He was 85 years old.

Prowse's passing was confirmed on Twitter by talent agency Bowington Management. "It's with great regret and heart-wrenching sadness for us and million of fans around the world, to announce that our client Dave Prowse MBE has passed away at the age of 85."

More info here.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I read about this earlier. Very sad.

I couldn’t help but smile though, as the article mentioned the title of his (2011) autobiography was “Straight from The Force’s Mouth”. That was brilliant.

RIP Mr. Prowse, and thank you for embodying the physicality and power of one of the most iconic Dark Lords of the Sith.

It's interesting that there was always sort of tense relationship between him and Lucasfilm over the years-Prowse sort of blurted out some of ESB and ROTJ's plot secrets regarding Vader, which was problematic for Lucas; he also felt that too much of the credit/payment went to James Earl Jones and (in some ways) Bob Anderson (Who did Vader's fight scenes).

BTW the circulated photo of an older Prowse in costume seen on some sites (including CBR) is from the VCR game released about twenty years ago I think.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-29-2020 at 10:24 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It's interesting that there was always sort of tense relationship between him and Lucasfilm over the years-Prowse sort of blurted out some of ESB and ROTJ's plot secrets regarding Vader, which was problematic for Lucas; he also felt that too much of the credit/payment went to James Earl Jones and (in some ways) Bob Anderson (Who did Vader's fight scenes).

BTW the circulated photo of an older Prowse in costume seen on some sites is from the VCR game released about twenty years ago I think.
    Vader was a truly collaborative effort in my opinion.

He also wasn't too happy that Sebastian Shaw played the unmasked Vader.

True, no offense to Shaw but I think Prowse should have been the one, he looks more alike to Mark.

RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    True, no offense to Shaw but I think Prowse should have been the one, he looks more alike to Mark.

RIP.
    That’s a good point.

iMan 42s

Vader was very much a collaborative effort but I don't think that disregards Prowse since he's instrumental to the physicality of Vader. James Earl Jones is that iconic voice but that stride, the presence, the sabers broken by him while filming, that's all Prowse. It's truly a sad day with his passing. Vader is a group effort but David Prowse will be very much missed.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Really, for the few seconds when Vader was unmasked, what would have been the problem with his face being Prowse’s?

The man behind the costume: “Being the Green Cross Man beats being Darth Vader any day”
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Really, for the few seconds when Vader was unmasked, what would have been the problem with his face being Prowse’s?

The man behind the costume: “Being the Green Cross Man beats being Darth Vader any day”
    I prefer Prowse also because he would resemble Vader's power and menace better even with the mask off.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Crying shame, had the chance to meet both him and Jeremy Bulloch at a convention and both were some of the nicest actors I have met. I even drew him a picture of him fighting Princess Leia (since Carrie Fisher was at the convention too).

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    I prefer Prowse also because he would resemble Vader's power and menace better even with the mask off.
    Would that have worked with Vader's final moments though?

Would that have worked with Vader's final moments though?
    Why not? Mark Hamill even looks like him.

He was still a powerful hero/villain even with the mask off.

Sad how under appreciated he was. The death of Peter Mayhew was all over Facebook. I posted about it when Prowse died and not a single like or response. And I didn't even know about it until a week later because I saw nothing on Facebook or anywhere else.
    Power with Girl is better.