• Comics

25 65.79%
  • animation

13 34.21%
  • live action movies

0 0%
  • TV shows

0 0%

Default What is your favorite DC Universe in all Media?

What is your favorite version of the DC Universe in all media? Comics, animation, TV or live action movies?

Please specify and why?

I think for me comics and animation because I've seen better and more satisfying storytelling in those mediums. Third live action movies. Some movies are really good and it's awesome to see those characters live and their powers. Last TV.

I pretty much love everything about the universe built by the Young Justice cartoons. That was the show that made me fall in love with characters that I had previously not given even the slightest of damns about (Miss Martian, Blue Beetle, Impulse, Superboy, Black Canary, etc.). Hell, it was because of that show that I became more than just a casual fan of the comics.

Special shout-out to the animated movie universe too. I REALLY love their take on the Teen Titans.

Astonishing Member

Comics win out largely because they have had more time and space to develop. Some of the other media might have an idea or two that is better than the comics, but at the end of the day the comics have 80+ years of stories in multiple titles where Superman has had team-ups with a variety of characters, Batman has faced probably thousands of opponents, obscure characters from Brother Power to Zook have appeared and all of this has built upon itself.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I must agree with Blue22. Young Justice had the most comics accurate yet boldest take on a cohesive DC Universe ever seen beyond the pages.

While I'm not enamored with the direction ever since Rebirth, for me comics will always be most where its at.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I will say animation. Not only do they take more chances on lesser known character's than the comice do, but they also elevate certain characters in popularity too. It also helps that the animated side of things does a far better job with handling diversity than the comics do.

Young Justice, JLU and Brave and the Bold, plus the DCDTV movies are also top notch.

1) Animation
    2) Comics
    3) TV Shows (thanks to the DCU app)
    4) DC Movies
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

The comics. The comics is what introduced me to this world, and they’re why I’m still here.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think Young Justice is, ironically, probably the most realistic take on the DCU ever done. Probably because they try to keep it halfway grounded. They incorporate elements of the comics in there but they try to make it believable. For instance, Jon is in it but he's still a baby. Looking at the other posts, I see I'm not alone.
    Assassinate Putin!

Retired

Well sure the comics. But only the old comics. The current DC Universe? I don't know what it is. It's hard to keep track or figure out the status quo and all the alternate continuities. I'm relying on wikipedia to work out specific characters and those articles aren't always updated. It breaks my brain.

The current universe that makes the most sense is the Arrowverse. It may have its own issues, but it's much easier to deal with. The movie universe is still in a process of gestation.

Young Justice, Telltale's Batman and the Justice League cartoons.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Comics.
    But like Jim Kelly said, the OLD DC Comics. Not the current thing that passes for it.
    Back when there were infinite Earths. I like all that stuff. When DC embraced it's legacy characters - not shit all over them.
    There was a real air of creativity. Throwing stuff at walls and seeing what stuck.
    Now everything has to fall into a certain niche or follow the continuity set in 2009 - no, 2012, no 2017... you get my point.
    JSA JLA Freedom Fighters Infinity Inc. Legion of Superheroes - all co-existing and some truly awesome reads too.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Comics.
    But like Jim Kelly said, the OLD DC Comics. Not the current thing that passes for it.
    Back when there were infinite Earths. I like all that stuff. When DC embraced it's legacy characters - not shit all over them.
    There was a real air of creativity. Throwing stuff at walls and seeing what stuck.
    Now everything has to fall into a certain niche or follow the continuity set in 2009 - no, 2012, no 2017... you get my point.
    JSA JLA Freedom Fighters Infinity Inc. Legion of Superheroes - all co-existing and some truly awesome reads too.
    It sounds like what DC needs to do is just return to the pre-Crisis universe. The general consensus is that the current continuity is too confusing for most people.
    Assassinate Putin!

BANNED

Animation. I grew up with Bruce Timm's DC Animated Universe, and have always generally liked that take more than the comic books. I could almost always depend on those cartoons to be entertaining, but the comics have always been much more hit and miss. That isn't surprising considering the comics cover a lot more ground and have had so many different creators working on them.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Comics win out largely because they have had more time and space to develop. Some of the other media might have an idea or two that is better than the comics, but at the end of the day the comics have 80+ years of stories in multiple titles where Superman has had team-ups with a variety of characters, Batman has faced probably thousands of opponents, obscure characters from Brother Power to Zook have appeared and all of this has built upon itself.
    Right. A more precise question might be the comics as they stand now, which would give more varying results imo

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    It sounds like what DC needs to do is just return to the pre-Crisis universe. The general consensus is that the current continuity is too confusing for most people.
    That would only confuse and confound those of us who never read the pre-Crisis books. Returning to a continuity that ended literally before I was born won't do any good. What DC needs is to just work within a very loose continuity, embrace the multiverse, and tell good stories. Oh, and not let Didio's hate for the original Teen Titans and their generation dictate stories. Simple.