Mighty Member

Default Political cartoons are done for.

This controversy over the Netanyahu and Trump cartoon is probably the final nail in the coffin, at least in print media. Nobody's satisfied to be slightly upset by a cartoon these days and just get on with their lives; they'll either pressure editors to censor artists with letters or letter bombs. What do you think?

Boisterously Confused

I doubt it. Outrage pressures a medium, but also draws support from the outraged's enemies. All depends on who the medium believes their base to be.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I’ve seen worse than the Trump/Netanyahu cartoon. Sure, there was outrage, but it’s already been mostly forgotten as the world moves on to newer and fresher outrages. Political cartoons aren’t going anywhere. Period.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I doubt it. Outrage pressures a medium, but also draws support from the outraged's enemies. All depends on who the medium believes their base to be.
    Yeah, I actually started reading The Boondocks shortly after 9/11 when Aaron McGruder became the first person I remember getting in trouble for criticizing the government "too soon" after the attack.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I’ve seen worse than the Trump/Netanyahu cartoon. Sure, there was outrage, but it’s already been mostly forgotten as the world moves on to newer and fresher outrages. Political cartoons aren’t going anywhere. Period.
    Yeah, Pat Olphant's one on Israel comes to mind.

If Ben Garrison can't kill political cartoons, they can survive anything.

As we all know, a few people being salty about a piece of art causes the total eradication of that genre within a given medium.