Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default The Iron Man 2 Reappreciation 2019

Contrary to popular belief, I'm not just a Fox X-Men fan. I like MCU. I just hate and despise the MCU Thor and his terrible movies, as well as the cinematic adaptation they concocted for some minor characters: in primis, Falcon and Hawkeye.

I'm a huge Iron Man fan (I also collect the action figures from the movies, mark by mark LOL) and I always loved "IRON MAN 2".
    To me it's a brilliant movie featuring a wonderful script, Downey Jr even more confortable as Tony Stark, terrific action scenes and the best solo superhero aerial battle ever put on a movie.
    The story-arc about the "new element" is just mindblowing and meaningful.

Yes, I still think that "Iron Man 3" did not deserve such a huge commercial success, it was truly overblown, but I must say that it's a very good movie anyway. I didn't like the constant and mishandled DECONSTRUCTIONISM of the "Iron Man" mythology, quite frankly.
    To me, the real THIRD chapter of the Iron Man saga will always be "The Avengers" (2012) which, still today, it's the best superhero team movie ever put on-screen; however, I always felt that Iron Man was the pivotal figure and the absolute lead on that.

So okay, guys, now you know what I think. Show some love and respect for "IRON MAN 2", this is the time!

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatKeaton View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, I'm not just a Fox X-Men fan. I like MCU. I just hate and despise the MCU Thor and his terrible movies, as well as the cinematic adaptation they concocted for some minor characters: in primis, Falcon and Hawkeye.

I'm a huge Iron Man fan (I also collect the action figures from the movies, mark by mark LOL) and I always loved "IRON MAN 2".
    To me it's a brilliant movie featuring a wonderful script, Downey Jr even more confortable as Tony Stark, terrific action scenes and the best solo superhero aerial battle ever put on a movie.
    The story-arc about the "new element" is just mindblowing and meaningful.

Yes, I still think that "Iron Man 3" did not deserve such a huge commercial success, it was truly overblown, but I must say that it's a very good movie anyway. I didn't like the constant and mishandled DECONSTRUCTIONISM of the "Iron Man" mythology, quite frankly.
    To me, the real THIRD chapter of the Iron Man saga will always be "The Avengers" (2012) which, still today, it's the best superhero team movie ever put on-screen; however, I always felt that Iron Man was the pivotal figure and the absolute lead on that.

So okay, guys, now you know what I think. Show some love and respect for "IRON MAN 2", this is the time!
    I enjoy IM2, though I think it's easily the weakest of the trilogy. I suppose I remember it more for its biggest moments than as a cohesive story. It set up some character beats and themes that payed off in better ways in future MCU films.

But even the weakest MCU films are above average and worth re-watching.

Extraordinary Member

I think IM2 is way better than 3. Definitely a lot more memorable IM3 seems like a blur where not much happened. But yes this movie has some stand out action scenes and stakes. I've rewatched more than a few times, IM3. I was one and done.

I prefer IM2 to IM3.

Still a bottom 7 MCU movie for me though. Villains were just so bad and I found Pepper to be really annoying in the movie instead of capable.

The "forced connection" with Fury and Widow aged a lot better now than a lot of MCU movies have other characters/connections now.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

IM3 is my favorite of the trilogy.

While in my lower tier of rankings, it's still an enjoyable film. I love the scene where he suits up from the briefcase at the race, that was awesome!

I will also say, that the more I watch Iron Man 3 the more that I enjoy that particular film. All of the Iron Man films are enjoyable and fun which can not be said about some of the other trio films out there.......Thor.....cough....cough...
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

I prefer IM3 to IM2. Here at the end of all things Tony Stark, I can learn to appreciate the second installment better.

I'll always watch it if I catch it on. Just like I would Thor 1 and 2 for that matter.

While not my favorite MCU films, I enjoyed all of them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    I think IM2 is way better than 3. Definitely a lot more memorable IM3 seems like a blur where not much happened. But yes this movie has some stand out action scenes and stakes. I've rewatched more than a few times, IM3. I was one and done.
    Agreed. IM2 was impressive.

I enjoyed IM2 for War Machine and Justin Hammer.

I hope we see Hammer step up spoilers:
    with Stark gone.
    end of spoilers He'd be a good Thunderbolt support character with Ross. Zemo should lead them.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I did really like Justin Hammer. Sam Rockwell is a great actor. I'd really love to see him return and specifically him and Pepper go at it in a political sense.

BANNED

I think Vanko deserved another movie...

Extraordinary Member

Agreed. IM2 was impressive.
    Yes that racetrack scene is like the definitive IM action scene imo damn near perfect.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Yes that racetrack scene is like the definitive IM action scene imo damn near perfect.
    I miss Mark IV. Too bad Tony used that just one time...

Contrary to popular belief, I'm not just a Fox X-Men fan.
    ...Sure?

To me........... it's a brilliant movie

featuring a wonderful script, Downey Jr even more confortable as Tony Stark,
    I mean... even Schwarzenegger was more comfortable as Conan the second time around. Is any actor worse, or less comfortable in a portrayal in a sequel? I'm asking. Downey does the Downey thing and I find it still enjoyable even after a couple decades worth of projects. Even though he bordered on Caricature ala Will Smith at times in IM 2.

I mean I'm not trying to be the cat out here with the fanhood yardstick so let's just say I'm AS a huge IM fan as you. Going back to the 80s. I always felt there should have been a movie between IM 1 and IM2. It was shitty we got no action shots of any heroing outside of vision board done by Venko. As far as brilliance as an overall product, yea I'm not rockin', not even close. But look it was pretty damn cool, at times. I think cooler than IM 3 fwiw. Keeping in mind there were 616 story elements pulled together in what was a finished MCU product and so if those were the parts that lead to it being brilliant than that must go for the Monaco story, Demon in a Bottle, etc., from back in the day too right? Whatev, huge swaths of the movie can just be skipped, it's a very thin plot and there was no evidence i.e. public sentiment or Starks inner circle, that any thing Venko did worked. People still loved Iron Man even when he drunkenly hosted his own party. The snappy patter isn't very engaging after a second watch and then your just skipping through scenes and only keying in on a couple of scenes... maybe. The Mark VI after the element reveal was dope, the droid battle was cool. I'm not the guy looking for a BW movie so all that was like, I guess.

I will say the scene with Bambi Arbogast almost made me choke up. She was essentially Pepper during the 80s run and she did everything Pepper did except Stark wasn't trying to bang her. She just stuck her head out of a door but I love that Easter egg. The strawberry joke was hilarious. I still get the feels from him taking the dive off of the airport carrier at the open. Had it's moments and I don't put it with a Thor Dark World as a MCU movie I'll never watch again but it ain't far from it. Also a better 3rd act than IM3 imo.

Captain America Civil War to me is the closest best sequel to IM in terms of screen time, character position and arc and overall quality. IM 3 is still IM 3 but IM in Avengers is overwhelmingly Avengers so for me it goes. IM, Cap Civil War then IM 3.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.