Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default I'm confused with the current Dr. Doom...

So not long ago, pretty sure Doom was a good guy, even had a different look ala iron man. Also didn't his face was redone properly at the end of Hickman's infinity event ? I just finished reading the las couple of FF issues and i'm like, "ok so we're back to scare 1 ? how did it happen ??"
    I don't read EVERY marvel books so many something happened prior to FF 6-7-8 that could explain such a drastic change in Doom's persona ?
    If anyone can illuminate me please do heh, thanks guys.

he started going around killing super-villains. they teamed up and fought back. the Hood and Doom faced off. some demon (maybe Mephisto maybe Dormammu), acting through the Hood, burnt Doom's face off. doom sulked about it back at castle doom. that brings us to the story that you read. he kidnapped the four.

Last edited by Michael Watkins; 05-02-2019 at 09:54 AM.

Invincible Iron Man 600

He was a good guy, it all went to hell real bad, he became a depressed shut-in, he was inspired to be a good guy again kinda sorta by putting his country first and elevating it, then the Fantastic Four went into the house with dirt on their shoes.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

he is doctor doom. he does as he pleases no matter whichever fool tries to interfere with him.

In other words "Let's turn doom back to what he was before because we hate change. Change and character growth sucks so lets repeat the same blasted thing over and over we have done for 50 years as we are to scared to change doom who has been used so blasted much some people were burnt out and sick of the old doom after the last secret wars."

A "anti-hero" doom with a fixed face who didn't waste his time attacking the ff gave us a new take on doom and was a much needed change of pace for him. But of course not. Let's change him right back to the 60s doom for the same story we had 2000 times. And this is why I dumped fantastic four and it's what got me into marvel as a kid!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack00 View Post
    So not long ago, pretty sure Doom was a good guy, even had a different look ala iron man. Also didn't his face was redone properly at the end of Hickman's infinity event ? I just finished reading the las couple of FF issues and i'm like, "ok so we're back to scare 1 ? how did it happen ??"
    I don't read EVERY marvel books so many something happened prior to FF 6-7-8 that could explain such a drastic change in Doom's persona ?
    If anyone can illuminate me please do heh, thanks guys.
    Not much to say. They pushed the reset button on him, resulting in a story so stale it makes petrified food found in an Egyptian tomb feel fresh by comparison.

The pizza in this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsui0TVYk_Q is fresh compared to current Doom.
    Last edited by MichaelC; 05-02-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Infamous Teleport Man is the Wally West for a new generation of readers.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    In other words "Let's turn doom back to what he was before because we hate change. Change and character growth sucks so lets repeat the same blasted thing over and over we have done for 50 years as we are to scared to change doom who has been used so blasted much some people were burnt out and sick of the old doom after the last secret wars."

A "anti-hero" doom with a fixed face who didn't waste his time attacking the ff gave us a new take on doom and was a much needed change of pace for him. But of course not. Let's change him right back to the 60s doom for the same story we had 2000 times. And this is why I dumped fantastic four and it's what got me into marvel as a kid!
    "B...b...but my childhood nostalgia!" The problem is that writers and editors want the characters as they remembered growing up and the stories they wanted to tell growing up, perhaps a side effect of the older age of Marvel writers in recent years (remember Claremont was 25 when he started on X-men or Gerry Conway 19 when he started on Spider-Man, for example; likewise, Shooter was EIC at 27 and he wasn't the youngest) and/or a consequence of sales being lower and writers and editors wanting to appeal to readers nostalgia- the X-men line in particularly has suffered many attempts of pushing it back to the 80's/90's.
    Last edited by Omega Alpha; 05-02-2019 at 12:11 PM.

I'd like to read the Fantastic Four issues that CBR read where Doctor Doom was reset to the self-centered megalomaniac who views people as pets and pawns that he was for most of his history instead of the ones Marvel recently published where they used Infamous to springboard him into another actually new character arc, but one that actually has a chance of sticking.

Couldn’t have put it better myself. Both marvel and dc have this problem. They have to slingshot back to where they started, because reasons. No real forward progression. That’s why I can only take so much of these heroes and their place in life, because I get bored with the stagnation. Entropy.

Couldn’t have put it better myself. Both marvel and dc have this problem. They have to slingshot back to where they started, because reasons. No real forward progression. That’s why I can only take so much of these heroes and their place in life, because I get bored with the stagnation. Entropy.

I wonder what the reactions to Two-In-One were when Zdarsky actively went against what Bendis and the other writers were doing by just writing Victor as the classic selfish ass Doom but with a begrudging D&D alignment change. Or where these accusations were for Galactus, a case of actual character regression.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I wonder what the reactions to Two-In-One were when Zdarsky actively went against what Bendis and the other writers were doing by just writing Victor as the classic selfish ass Doom but with a begrudging D&D alignment change. Or where these accusations were for Galactus, a case of actual character regression.
    Near as I can tell it wasn't taken as well, but it was accepted. MTIO wasn't as off-base with what was happening in other books. MTIO's problem in regards to Doom was that it simply wasn't what Victor was talking like at the time. His speech didn't really line up to how he appeared in Invincible Iron man, Avengers, Squirrel girl, and Infamous Iron man. Otherwise his characterization was consistent enough. It wasn't perfect but it was good enough.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.