View Poll Results: Do you think this was an appropriate metaphor to use for Rahne's death?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it feels and looks like this

27 28.42%
  • No, I think that doesn't feel right to me

47 49.47%
  • I don't know what you;re talking about

21 22.11%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sapfiryt View Post
    For me it was a surprise that Rahne has a relationship with Danielle? Is this reliable information ??
    Of course not.
    "Cable was right!"

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Of course not.
    This. lol Rosenberg isn't very big on continuity or consistency.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I think the Comics Beat writer insinuated a romantic relationship between the two but I can't access the site for some reason. I don't mind that the two are close.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    I personally dont think he had or should have apologized but I respect his decision to do so.
    I agree, but he probably didn't want to lose his job and get a bunch of death threats.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    You are misunderstanding his post.

The alternative to this story without the allegory is a classic character saying "guesh eye'll jus dye" and getting killed randomly with no point being made. That doesn't sound good. And then that brings up the rather gray area of whether it's right to highlight a group of people's struggle when you're not showing those people as people because they're not in the book (which is a weird wall to hit but that's X-Men for ya.) So maybe instead of getting into this convoluted quandary, let's see what's best for Rosenberg, the X-Office, Marvel, and the book.

Skip this entirely and move on to the actual plot.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sapfiryt View Post
    For me it was a surprise that Rahne has a relationship with Danielle? Is this reliable information ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I think the Comics Beat writer insinuated a romantic relationship between the two but I can't access the site for some reason. I don't mind that the two are close.
    Actually, it's canon that Dani and Rahne were close friends due to the psychic rapport they shared when Wolfsbane was in non-human form nothing more.

Everytime fiction uses metaphors to reflect real world struggles there's the same backlash and dead horse getting beaten because people don't understand (or act obtuse about) the very meaning of what a metaphor or allegory is. We get people describing in which ways the metaphor differs from the real world scenario it alludes to as if they're intelligently debunking an argument and not fundamentally misunderstanding the fact that a metaphor is simply meant to help shine light into something by using a comparison. And in cases where it's an allegory for minorities' struggles we get people using this (deliberate or genuine) misunderstanding to advocate for representation. I'm usually the first to call out the lack of representation but I'm not willing to dumb myself down to do it. Like:

"Rockslide getting a backstory where he got kicked out by his parents when they find out he's a mutant is not a good metaphor for LGBT struggles, it's akshually offensive. It had to be Anole getting a storyline where he's being kicked out when his parents find out he's gay, that's a great mEtApHoR and aLlEgOrY for homophobia.

Cable being called a mutie by people on the street is not a good allegory for minorities being called slurs, why not have Rictor being called a ****** instead."

That argument has no logic or reason, it's just a transparent and desperate attempt to get a queer character a storyline while moaning about a straight character portraying an allegory for anti-LGBT bigotry by pretending not to know what an allegory is or acting as if it's inherently offensive. Allegories for real world issues and representation of minorities dealing with those issues in a more literal and realistic way are not mutually exclusive, and attacking the very concept of an allegory will not get us that rep any faste.

About Rahne's death: it wasn't perfect or the exact same situation (obviously) but if it might help someone understand or be more empathetic when they see the real world cases that was a clear allegory for in the news it's already something. And it's poetic that Rahne was sacrificed for it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    Actually, it's canon that Dani and Rahne were close friends due to the psychic rapport they shared when Wolfsbane was in non-human form nothing more.
    This is correct and the psychic rapport was acknowledged last issue. But there has never been an on-canon admission that the two were in a romantic relationship. Rosenberg did not ignore continuity.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R0d View Post
    Metaphors aside, at the end of the day an experienced X-woman that has fought against countless powerful enemies was killed by four frat dudes, YES 4 FRAT DUDES! And that's the story that was printed.
    What Rosenberg did to Rahne is an insult to the fans and to the history of the character.
    Hickman can't come soon enough.
    so much THIS ^
    I get why the Trans community are bothered and they have every right to feel as they do but...this ^ to me was more a egregious misstep.

Cyke is awesome! Despair! The Jeeper 2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    I don't agree with everything that was written (specially the way some people still insist that every single female member of the New Mutants. plus Kitty and Rachel, is a lesbian, plus throw Storm in there too because why not), but overall it's a pretty good piece. It was a stupid, ham-fisted thing that would probably never pass if it had been shown to any actual trans person, or even any person that wasn't a straight WASP from North America, before publication.
    Not true. I am not a straight WASP and when I read it, I read it for what it was.
    "Listen to me...you can't kill an idea. It always comes back. Resurrected. Or reborn...into a different form." - Cyclops, Secret Wars

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I am far from outraged, but even without the use of the word trap (which only made it more obvious,) the scene as a whole was without a doubt based on attitudes towards trans people. The discussion is whether it was offensive in the way it was presented and/or did it deserve more of a focus given the topic.
    the most offensive thing about the issue is the blatant disrespect for rahne as a character. she's better than that and shouldn't have been taken down by teenage punks she could have easily wiped the floor with

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    the most offensive thing about the issue is the blatant disrespect for rahne as a character. she's better than that and shouldn't have been taken down by teenage punks she could have easily wiped the floor with
    I agree. I'd have found it more realistic if one of them had a gun, which is awful, but...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    I don't agree with everything that was written (specially the way some people still insist that every single female member of the New Mutants. plus Kitty and Rachel, is a lesbian, plus throw Storm in there too because why not), but overall it's a pretty good piece. It was a stupid, ham-fisted thing that would probably never pass if it had been shown to any actual trans person, or even any person that wasn't a straight WASP from North America, before publication.
    Oh... I can relate to your logic on this on so many levels...
    Last edited by Shreene; 05-03-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Editors haven't been doing their jobs since the Quemas era.