View Poll Results: Do you think this was an appropriate metaphor to use for Rahne's death?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it feels and looks like this

27 28.42%
  • No, I think that doesn't feel right to me

47 49.47%
  • I don't know what you;re talking about

21 22.11%
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

I'm sure everyone has already said their piece.
    But I don't feel the scene was inappropriate.
    The Mutant story has been mirroring social issue since the begining.
    As a Black Gay Man they've mirror my life many times. It never matter if the characters were Woman , Alien, Mutant or purple.
    It would have been different if they were spotlighting a Trans issue and was mishandle. But I see no fault on Marvel . I did not see a need for the apology but the gave one. So hopefully this smoothes over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    Rahne is one of my favorite characters. I'm angry. But I wouldn't be so disappointed and annoyed if the story hadn't been so insulting. Of course Rahne could have easily gotten away. But more important, the writer didn't have to kill her either. She is in fact a shape shifter and has healing abilities; Rahne being beaten badly, left in a coma, would have served the story just as well. Mr. Rosenberg kills Blindfold but that wasn't a good story. It's an agenda -- *I'm going to kill of characters, bwahaha.* He kills off female agency, female self-will, female inner struggle. He does this overtly, and subtly, but not even giving Rahne the respect of panel time. This wasn't an active story, it was done in a passive aggressive way, off panel, as a vision pulled from the perpetrator's mind.

Even Mr. Rosenberg's "apology" -- *don't worry, the next two X-Men I kill off will be men* -- proves he doesn't get it.
    Marvel, and the comic book genre of entertainment in general, has a huge problem with killing characters off for poor reasons. Targeting a specific group (in this case women) is obviously bad all its own and worse, but the general ethos of it all as a general rule regardless of who's targeted is a relic from a bygone era that people working at Marvel can't seem to give up because their toxic nostalgia means too much to them.

Character death, in general, blows. It's rarely needed. Often, a writer could very easily do something other than death and have just as much of an impact - if not more. Setting aside all the HUGE problems with this story (its handling of trans panic chief among them), why couldn't Rosenberg have simply had Rahne end up badly hurt in the hospital? Why was it so important for her to die? Was the broader story he wanted to tell with Rahne something that justified removing her from the Marvel universe, throwing away potential future storylines for at least the next couple years?

There are some cases where character death is worth pursuing. I'm not going to say it's always off the table at all times. But the comics side has no concept whatsoever of what's a worthwhile approach and what isn't. And that lies at the core of everything wrong with them. It's the opposite of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Quote Originally Posted by BlkGldBlu View Post
    I'm sure everyone has already said their piece.
    But I don't feel the scene was inappropriate.
    The Mutant story has been mirroring social issue since the begining.
    As a Black Gay Man they've mirror my life many times
    . It never matter if the characters were Woman , Alien, Mutant or purple.
    It would have been different if they were spotlighting a Trans issue and was mishandle. But I see no fault on Marvel . I did not see a need for the apology but the gave one. So hopefully this smoothes over.
    I feels ya Bro on almost every level lol

to be perfectly honest the whole issue is kiiiiiiinda is eye rollingly snowflakish....but that's 100% the fault of the character that was killed Wolfsbane gas been in a Xcomic since we introduction in 1981... Thirty. Seven. eFFin years. We ALLLL know how death works in comics how is the dumb way Rahne died more upsetting than the dumb way Synch died....or Skin, both of those characters have been Dead longer than they were alive in an X-Book. Or hasn't been in Limbo nowhere near as long as Karma or Moonstar as been or Sunspot... but cause of some choice triggering words. there's a pushback