View Poll Results: Are they dead to Hollywood, or are you ready to preorder tickets?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sadly, they're too ruined to use.

4 6.25%
  • They can come back! Come on FF film!

51 79.69%
  • Just give me the Silver Surfer, Doom, and Galactus.

9 14.06%
  • They shouldn't be given their own film, but can still show up elsewhere.

7 10.94%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fantastic Four in the MCU - Salvageable or Too Toxic?

With FOX getting bought by Disney, something I flat out believed to be impossible has passed, Marvel Studios will get their hands back on F4 and X-Men. But unlike the X-Men who saw varying degrees of success, the FF did not. In fact many would argue that the property is now toxic on film. So I thought I'd ask - should Marvel try and salvage this property in the near future for the MCU as regards a Fantastic Four film, or just take some of the characters like Dr. Doom, Silver Surfer, and Galactus, possibly have Reed or his team show up in the background or cameo in someone else's film? Or should Marvel Studios just leave them alone for a decade or more and let the stink wear off?

Salvageable with time, last one was in 2015 I believe and there's no immediate plans for a movie so we're looking 7-10 years between films. That's reasonable for a franchise reboot. The MCU have built up a lot of trust and I feel people would give a Marvel Studios version of the Fantastic Four a look. I will say they really only have one shot to get it right though, if for some reason the MCU attempt fails they'll be relegated to cameos or ignored entirely.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The first 2 were fine (for the time & what they were) while the last one was trash.

Sure the brand isn’t the strongest atm, but the Marvel brand should be more than enough to offset the damage. As long as the trailer is good and the movie is great, they won’t have a problem

MCU sort of has a good cosmic foundation right now, which is part of the FF's main thing. I'm wondering perhaps they could skip Doom this time, perhaps focus on maybe Annihilus or one of the others? Spider-Man homecoming, for example, didn't have anything to do with the Osborns.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I'd like to see a high quality, big budget FF multi season series. like Game of Thrones. Have 5-6 episodes per season.

They can have guest appearances in movies eventually. but not right away.

The FF villains can be put to good use in various settings. the mini-series and select movies.

Astonishing Member

The Thing (pun) with the FF is, every non comic fan, but MCU or Superhero movie goer i know, shrugs his shoulder about the FF. And i know many of these guys and girls.

Everyone is like: Fantastic Four? Ah, that...

Its as if they are uninteresting outside of comic books...

I think they are definitely salvageable. I would think a good strategy would be to introduce them in another film first, much like they did with Spider-Man. It's a good way to familiarize audiences with the new iteration of the characters and letting them know that they belong to the MCU proper and are not another studio's attempt.

I think the MCU has built up enough credibility that with the slightest amount of care given to a movie that audiences would show up. They just have to let people know that these are MCU additions and that they will interact with Black Panther, Captain Marvel, The Guardians, etc.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Keyotheseasons View Post
    I think they are definitely salvageable. I would think a good strategy would be to introduce them in another film first, much like they did with Spider-Man. It's a good way to familiarize audiences with the new iteration of the characters and letting them know that they belong to the MCU proper and are not another studio's attempt.

I think the MCU has built up enough credibility that with the slightest amount of care given to a movie that audiences would show up. They just have to let people know that these are MCU additions and that they will interact with Black Panther, Captain Marvel, The Guardians, etc.
    I don’t think most younger people know about that studio stuff, tbh. I didn’t find out until First Class came out. My nephew sure doesn’t.

Not saying it isn’t salvageable with time of course. But Amazing Spider-Man 2 was no F4 reboot.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 05-03-2019 at 05:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    I'd like to see a high quality, big budget FF multi season series. like Game of Thrones. Have 5-6 episodes per season.

They can have guest appearances in movies eventually. but not right away.

The FF villains can be put to good use in various settings. the mini-series and select movies.
    I don't think Marvel would be willing to make a series that short. I don't know, out of all the new Marvel efforts announced for Hulu and Disney +, any of them a mini? I haven't really kept up with that news. But whether or not they have a miniseries that short would determine if that direction would be plausible.
    Never mind that it would require a lot more special effects than Game of Thrones I think.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I don't think Marvel would be willing to make a series that short. I don't know, out of all the new Marvel efforts announced for Hulu and Disney +, any of them a mini? I haven't really kept up with that news. But whether or not they have a miniseries that short would determine if that direction would be plausible.
    Never mind that it would require a lot more special effects than Game of Thrones I think.
    All of the Disney + marvel shows are reportedly between 6 & 8 episodes long.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    All of the Disney + marvel shows are reportedly between 6 & 8 episodes long.
    That could work then. Any clue as to the budget they'll get?

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Some of the DC CW shows have already pulled off the necessary effects fairly well on a much smaller budget. Ralph Dibny on the Flash has Mister Fantastic's powers. Firestorm on the Flash and Legends is similar to the Human Torch. Invisble Woman powers are easy. The Thing would be the hardest but still doable.