Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Your ideal Or favorite actor/actress to play the characters in the Superverse

Who are your ideal or your favorite actors and actresses to play the characters in the Superverse? You can include Clark's closest friends too.

Superman - Christopher Reeve and Henry Cavill. I really like both actors in the role in terms of acting ability, personality and physicality. I don't think Henry was allowed to show his full potential, but when I see him in interviews, the guy is full of charm and witt.

Lois Lane - Amy Adams and Erica Durance. I haven't seen enough of the 50s Lois actresses so can't comment, but these 2 gals really embody the character for me overall.

I'll think of more.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 05-03-2019 at 08:39 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Dana Delany is always going to be Lois Lane's voice in my mind... But if I was to fancast, I'd like to see Jamie Alexander try her hand at the role.

Reeve and Cavill will be getting lots of praise here, but I did want to show some love to Bud Collyer. Nobody could better match a voice to Siegel and Shuster's Superman for that incarnation of the character.

I actually quite liked Kyle McLaughlin as Clark in a McCarthy-HUAC era America, too.
    Last edited by Robanker; 05-03-2019 at 12:36 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Kyle McLaughlin is kinda perfect as Superman. Henry Cavill was perfect, even if he had nothing to work with. Amy Adams too. Henry and Amy are the best since George Reeves and Philys Coates. Coates is my favorite Lois Lane.

Jon Hamm would be my ideal film version. Rashida Jones could do a solid Lois, opposite him.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 06-10-2019 at 08:56 PM.

what about Lex, Jimmy, Perry, etc. Is there an actor you loved in the roles?

I really liked Sam Huntington from Returns as Jimmy. Never liked the Jimmy version from Supergirl. Felt nothing like the Jimmy in my head.

Retired

Lesley Ann Warren is my favourite Lois because I still remember watching that ABC TV movie and falling completely in love with her.

Jimmy Olsen in THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, played by Jack Larson, doesn't have the red hair and he starts to look a little too old as the series goes on, but this is where the character of Jimmy really comes through. The cub reporter/office boy had existed since the early 40s and he was a feature of the radio show, but I think the solo comic book was based on Larson's Olsen. The actor who looks most like Jimmy is Aaron Ashmore, but he turned out not to be the actual James Bartholemew Olsen until the final episode of SMALLVILLE.

Even though he's a re-imagined Perry White (Great shades of Elvis), I really liked Lane Smith as Perry and he looked just like the comic book character. Stacy Haiduk was a perfect Lana Lang. And speaking of Lana Langs, Annette O'Toole and John Schneider were great as Martha and Jonathan Kent. Michael Rosenbaum was good as the younger Lex Luthor, while Sherman Howard served well as the older Lex.

I can't decide on Clark/Superman as several actors have done a good job with the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Kyle McLaughlin is kinda perfect as Superman. I really liked Henry Cavill, even if he had nothing to work with. Amy Adams too. Henry and Amy are the best since George Reeves and Philys Coates. Coates is my favorite Lois Lane.

Jon Hamm would be my ideal film version.
    Thinking of young McLaughlin in the role has kinds segued and made me wonder what it would be like to get a characterization of Clark whom, instead of bumbling-silly, is kinda eccentric-silly like Dale Cooper.

Anywho, for me Erica Durance is pretty much the quintessential Lois in my mind. To this day she's the only actress that really ever grabbed me in the role. Smallville is far from my favorite iteration of the mythos as a whole, but with Lois, it nailed it. She had it all, imo.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Thinking of young McLaughlin in the role has kinds segued and made me wonder what it would be like to get a characterization of Clark whom, instead of bumbling-silly, is kinda eccentric-silly like Dale Cooper.
    I would 110% be into that.

Just some ideas:
    Daniel Radcliffe as Manchester Black

Dave Bautista as Lobo

Eliza Dushku as Lois Lane

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Just some ideas:
    Daniel Radcliffe as Manchester Black

Dave Bautista as Lobo

Eliza Dushku as Lois Lane
    I dig your picks for Manchester Black/Lois Lane.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Lesley Ann Warren is my favourite Lois because I still remember watching that ABC TV movie and falling completely in love with her.

Jimmy Olsen in THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN, played by Jack Larson, doesn't have the red hair and he starts to look a little too old as the series goes on, but this is where the character of Jimmy really comes through. The cub reporter/office boy had existed since the early 40s and he was a feature of the radio show, but I think the solo comic book was based on Larson's Olsen. The actor who looks most like Jimmy is Aaron Ashmore, but he turned out not to be the actual James Bartholemew Olsen until the final episode of SMALLVILLE.

Even though he's a re-imagined Perry White (Great shades of Elvis), I really liked Lane Smith as Perry and he looked just like the comic book character. Stacy Haiduk was a perfect Lana Lang. And speaking of Lana Langs, Annette O'Toole and John Schneider were great as Martha and Jonathan Kent. Michael Rosenbaum was good as the younger Lex Luthor, while Sherman Howard served well as the older Lex.

I can't decide on Clark/Superman as several actors have done a good job with the character.
    Lane Smith was a lot of fun to watch. It's become my personal headcanon that Perry is a fan of Elvis because of his portrayal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I would absolutely love that, and it's kind of how I think of Clark being anyway, in my own, er, "headcanon," or personal conception of the character. He seems really grounded at first, maybe even more than most people, but the longer you know him the more likely he is to do something that's just weird, or reveal a strange detail about himself - like the fact that he's fluent in Chinese, to borrow from Lois & Clark's first season.

Nic Cage would allegedly have gone for that in Superman Lives had it gotten made, maybe even a little too far? Clark as this kind of spaced out guy who keeps getting distracted by mundane things and who goes around in a Mickey Mouse t-shirt, but then as Superman he's much more present and focused, not because he's any different or because all Clark's weirdness was faked, but because when he stops having to hide who he is behind the pretense of normalcy, he's just more comfortable. I wish we'd gotten to see it, honestly. Tim Burton honestly seems, based on the documentary, like he would have absolutely nailed Clark's relationship with Krypton in a way I'm honestly not sure any adaptation ever has.

Anyway, back to the actors. Cavill and Adams are obviously my favorite of the current moment, and I'm desperately hoping they'll get to come back for another go or five at the characters.

That said, I absolutely love Bud Collyer, and I think it's really a tragedy how overlooked he's become in the last few decades, just because his medium is out of fashion. Anyone who listens to narrative podcasts should give the Adventures of Superman radio show a go! It's really, really fun. Collyer's differentiation between Kent and Superman is legitimately my favorite in any medium, even considering Chris Reeve's acting and the infrequent drawn differentiation I love from artists like Frank Quitely and Rags Morales! I really feel like Collyer could do a scene as Kent, and the same scene as Superman, with all the same lines, and with just his voice they'd still seem like totally different people. Then again, I'm sure Reeve could've pulled off the same.

I was always a huge fan of Dana Delaney as Lois, and she's probably my favorite voice. In live action, Phyllis Coates is really overlooked compared to Noel Neill, which is sad, as I think I like her a bit better if anything.

Lane Smith is best Perry White of all time. If someone came back in a time machine and told me that in the next two hundred years, finally someone had topped his performance and the way he was written, I straight up wouldn't believe them. But really, the whole L&C cast is great.
    Last edited by Adekis; 05-03-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I thought the cast for Superman: Unbound would make for a perfect live action cast as well:

Matt Boomer as Clark Kent.
    Stana Katic as Lois Lane
    Molly Quinn as Kara Zor-El

Cast Corey Stoll as Lex Luthor. Then you are good to go.

The Superman: TAS cast would have also made for a great live action cast too. Daly as Superman. Dana as Lois. Clancy Brown as Lex.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

BANNED

Christopher Reeve is the best Superman.
    Terry Hatcher is the best Lois, although it's an extremely hard won fight with Margot Kidder, and Erica Durance is behind them, but not terribly far.
    Clancy Brown is the best Lex.
    Lain Smith is the best Perry.
    Superman: TAS Jimmy is the best Jimmy
    Tracy Scoggins is the best Cat Grant.
    The Smallville Kents are the best Ma and Pa.
    Sam Jones III is the best Pete Ross.

I've recently rewatched all the Superman movies on Blu-Ray, and last year I watched Smallville for the first time. It's interesting that I now see similarities between Kate Bosworth and Erica Durance in terms of facial appearance and voice. Of course, Returns didn't really give Bosworth a chance to be the spunky, crusading reporter Lois that we know because it saddled her with a kid and the return of her ex, so we'll never know what she could have done with Classic-Lois.

Anyway, I'd be hard pressed to find a casting choice that I did NOT like in some respect. Even the Jimmy in Supergirl could be seen as more of the 1970s Mr. Action style Jimmy than the more common bowtie bumbler Jimmy.

I really liked the entire cast of Man of Steel, and it's a shame we are probably never going to see them again. But every single cast member really delivered for me. A really deep bench of great actors. Zack Snyder knows how to cast a movie, that's for sure.

So, for me, it's hard to pick a favorite actor for each role because I think each iteration of Superman -- whether TV, film, radio, or animated -- has been well cast for the style and tone that the production was going for.

So, for example, while I wouldn't put Teri Hatcher and Dean Cain in a Zack Snyder film, I do think their romantic comedy take worked for the type of show that they did.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Anyway, I'd be hard pressed to find a casting choice that I did NOT like in some respect. Even the Jimmy in Supergirl could be seen as more of the 1970s Mr. Action style Jimmy than the more common bowtie bumbler Jimmy.
    Ah . . . if only SUPERGIRL's Jimmy was a little more like Mr. Action--

The discussion about Nicolas Cage makes me think maybe we did miss something great. Unlike Batman, they always seem to cast big hunky men as Supes, rather than actors more known for idiosyncratic character acting. Batman gets Michael Keaton, Adam West--even Christian Bale has played offbeat characters. The most out there actor to play Superman was probably Brandon Routh or Dean Cain.

While that might seem only right and proper--an actor with a reputation for going off script could probably get away with more extreme choices. And there's a lot of bizarro stories in the Superman comic book canon that a risk-taking actor could pull off better than a handsome hunk of muscles.