View Poll Results: Are you excited about Hickman's bold, new direction for the X-Men books?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

147 79.89%
  • No.

30 16.30%
  • I don't like or know anything about comics.

7 3.80%
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    It will probably end in October. He wasn't trying to give release dates, the comment was simply putting an emphasis on these being the only X-books once they start.
    Probably HOX and POX will end with #6 at the beginning of October and some new X books will start later in October, November and December.

I think Hickman just wanted to tell that till the End of September ther would be No other X books except these 2.

Comic Geek in General

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    That's fair. I think the main thing (for me) is: Assuming there's a core cast to one flagship book, it would be nice to see other characters in that book--maybe spread the O5 and ANAD members out across many different books (where the cast doesn't overlap for story reasons, like the Avengers books).
    Yeah his Avengers had a Core Team (Cap, Thor, Iron Man, Captain Marvel, Black Widow, Hulk, Hawkeye, but also added Starbrand, Earth’s Smasher, Cannonball, Sunspot, Shang Chi, Hyperion, etc....)......I see the X-Men doing a kinda similar tactic, the Core Team (Cyclops, Wolverine, Jean, Storm, Archangel, Nightcrawler etc, plus say Armor, X-23, Warpath, etc)

I'm super excited for Hickman on X-Men. I haven't bought an x-book since the times of Extraordinary X-Men/X-Men Blue/X-Men Gold , that's when I jumped ship. The announcement of Hickman doing books about my mutant mates is what has brought me back. I'm also quite excited that Magik is featured in the promotional image as she is a personal favorite for me.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Typos: Zero Tolerance
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Rödney View Post
    I'm super excited for Hickman on X-Men. I haven't bought an x-book since the times of Extraordianry X-Men/X-Men Blue/X-Men Gold , that's when I jumped ship.
    You jumped well and wisely.

I remember the first time a read Hickman's Avengers, when I saw that beautiful graphics with coordinated characters.
    I thought 'I wanna see this guy writing my X-men'.

Last edited by Mutant X; 05-17-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    I remember the first time a read Hickman's Avengers, when I saw that beautiful graphics with coordinated characters.
    I really liked those too! A great way of illustrating how he saw the team.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-19-2021 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Bye, bye blue!
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

BANNED

Is this picture a diagram who Hickman thought are THE most important are whom the Main Avengers have ties too????

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    It is silly to make unfounded claims about actual people. I know it isn’t a serious accusation but it is technically defamation of character. You have no idea that he was doing this, you are projecting based on your own perspective.

There is a much more realistic possibility that he was just acting as a mouthpiece for a corporation that had made a decision. That wouldn’t rely on him ‘taking away’ anything.

Surely we can all give up this paranoid delusion that everyone hated the X-Men now? We know why it happened, it was explained in as much detail as was possible under a corporate umbrella. It has been thawing for years. We are in a new world now.

Paranoia and conspiracy should have no place in fandom, but unfortunately it has infected it like a virus. Except we can just throw it off. It was always an illusion.

I will now be in a big dilemma. I hardly ever post here because of this kind of thinking. Now one of the most intelligent writers in all of comics is about to start a major project and I want to celebrate that. The X-Men are my first love. Is this the place to do that? If we all keep focusing on how much we think the people in power hate the tings we love, we will never enjoy anything.
    My claims are founded on what I've directly seen and experienced related to him. How I've seen him treat the franchise as a whole and specific characters within it when he had editorial power over them. His remarks on them. His attitude to feedback (e.g. saying that making people angry is good for sales, in response to complaints). There are things he's said and done that go beyond what's needed in his duties as a mouthpiece for a company's decisions. And even in cases where corporate forces the decision, there are ways to message that demonstrate open-mindedness, consideration for others, empathy.

But this is just an explainer, and I don't want to say any more than needed at this juncture. Let's just say I'll give him credit for Pietro and Wanda getting to appear on All-New X-Factor, as well as for Secret Wars: House of M if he had to approve it, but those are only two bright spots in a morass of darkness. Some of which directly counteracts those bright spots. And I'll leave it at that here.

As far as paranoia, it's only paranoia if it isn't validated by past actions and comments. I can't determine validity on every single thing that every single person feels this way about. But I can say for the things I care about, it's validated. There's a history both observed and personally experienced. Is it possible that there may be cases where I'm overly sensitive? Yes. But that over-sensitivity has a point of origin. There's a reason it exists. It didn't come from nowhere.

The same applies to "paranoid" views of X-Men treatment as a whole. Things have happened to justify those views. Not everyone can just pretend the past didn't happen and put blind faith into what comes next. Especially if they've already tried doing that repeatedly and been burned for it. Marvel needs to prove there's reason to place that kind of trust in them.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    It's baked into the cake. Online fandom has always been like this. If anything, it's nowhere near as nasty as it used to be. These forums are tame and sedate compared to the Usenet forums back in the 90s. Those were unmoderated. Fan cliques, flame wars that would go on for months, and ad hominem ad infinitum. But, speech was free, and you could say whatever the hell you wanted. Comics pros posted more often, then, too.
    Things get darker on other social media too. I've had a few smear jobs on me over the years by people that got obsessed with me, along with other things. CBR is very tame.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Spectacular Member

Super excited about Hickman taking over. Maybe they will finally act out the rumor from a while ago where Hickman/marvel take all the remaining mutants away from earth and have them deal with space threats and dealing with the mutant "villains" amongst them, while trying to survive where ever they are. And off course eventually come back to earth in a huge way!! Maybe there is even some kind of "soft boot" on earth with getting rid of all the mutant related stuff like te sentinels and weapon x etc. and have those things have a clean new fresh start as well, the moment the mutants come back to earth. That would be my goal if I had any say over the x-books. Whatever it's going to be, I think the x-men should be elevated to more of an avengers type of team because this whole everyone fears us because we are different but nobody hates the avengers even though they are also different is getting a bit old now. If looking at western civilizations now in the real world. There is indeed stil racism but we are also at a point that minorities at the same time can also achieve amazing things and can be adored and loved by millions. Its time to portray that realism also in the x-books.
    Oh and charts... please give us charts and graphs! I love those!

He's kicked ass on Fantastic Four and Avengers, so I'm really looking forward to his X-Men.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I really am hoping for something similar for the X-Folks.

Going to be very interesting.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

X-Men Monday (featuring Jonathan Hickman) #13 – Underrated X-Stories, mutant fashion and cool Cyclops

Many choice quotes in there! Here's a great excerpt:

AiPT!: ... Gavin Higginbotham (@GavHigginbotham) was curious, when assembling your X-Men story, just how much back material did you read for research?

Jonathan: I’ve had a pretty good idea of what I would do with the X-Men for a few years now. Most of those general plans can be found in the upcoming Powers of X book. The House of X stuff came about when it became clear just how much bandwidth we’d have inside of both Marvel and the X-Office.

I mean, there’s a pretty massive difference between planning for a single book and the direction of an entire line. So I took about five months and did a bunch of re-reading, quite a bit of outlining, I wrote a bunch of documents for both Marvel editorial and the upcoming writers. It was quite a lot.

Any homework that needed to be done was.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Research and creating documents are both good signs in terms of his professionalism as a writer. What that leads to, though, we'll see.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Could still be too early to tell but after today’s AiPT interview - nope on the excitement.