View Poll Results: Are you excited about Hickman's bold, new direction for the X-Men books?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

147 79.89%
  • No.

30 16.30%
  • I don't like or know anything about comics.

7 3.80%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    To be completely serious for a moment, it's actually more like "Can Claremont write as well as Hickman?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    You’re joking.
    Not even a little bit.

While I have a perfectly reasonable respect for Clarmont's work as a writer, Hickman is a superior writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    House of B and Powers of Tom
    House of B sounds like some 19th century Western American Brothel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    All this. It wasn't like Marvel was "OK, we'll make Avengers our priority, and the X-men will be on their own little corner" or something in the sense. They actively acted out to harm the X-men for petty reasons, both with the Avengers and the Inhumans.

I said already at the time and it's even more clear in hindsight that it was no coincidence AvX happened around the time Uncanny with the Extinction team was the best selling regular title at Marvel, selling more than the Avengers books in the end of Bendis run despite much less promotion than it and also WatXM, and the event was essentially designed to destroy the team, it's most popular members and their relationships with one another, with essentially zero imput from the X-office at the time or even the writer of the title they appeared.
    The Exctinction Team was launched in November and AvX was announced in December.

Spectacular Member

I just can't believe they cancelled Red for the tripe that is Rosenberg's Uncanny and Age of X-Man, while they knew perfectly well that these titles were finite.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    The Exctinction Team was launched in November and AvX was announced in December.
    Uncanny was already selling well with Gillen before they relaunched. rivaling and beating NA and Avengers, which both begun to decline after Siege.

From what I've read of Hickman, I wouldn't say he's better than Claremont(at his peak, at least). They're just really different. Hickman is focused on crazy ideas, high concepts, sci-fi and all of that, while Claremont is more focused on characters, relationships and the soap opera style.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 05-16-2019 at 05:56 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Uncanny was already selling well with Gillen before they relaunched. rivaling and beating NA and Avengers, which both begun to decline after Siege.
    With the exception of September 2011, where it beat New Avengers, Gillen's pre-relaunch UXM sold less than the Avengers books each month (specificall, it consistently sold 55k, which isn't a whole lot better than UXM sells today after years of the franchise being treated like crap).

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    With the exception of September 2011, where it beat New Avengers, Gillen's pre-relaunch UXM sold less than the Avengers books each month (specificall, it consistently sold 55k, which isn't a whole lot better than UXM sells today after years of the franchise being treated like crap).
    Many of the Avengers issues that sold better were tie-ins to events (which, admittedly, between the issues of NA and Avengers that were and of UXM that also were, doesn't leave that many out). Still, it was pretty clear at that point in time that: a) Avengers were on a downard spiral, hemorrhaging sales in Bendis' last years when it was going nowhere; b) Marvel had their asses kicked by DC with the new 52 every month, often barely having a title in the top 10. That and the fact they left out of the event the writer and editor of Uncanny was pretty telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    From what I've read of Hickman, I wouldn't say he's better than Claremont(at his peak, at least). They're just really different. Hickman is focused on crazy ideas, high concepts, sci-fi and all of that, while Claremont is more focused on characters, relationships and the soap opera style.
    Claremont better then

spencer is better claremont since he has the dna of all the top writers combined to form one god being
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    spencer is better claremont since he has the dna of all the top writers combined to form one god being
    Not even Claremont is better than Claremont.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    Further adding to why people held Brevoort's remarks against him: underlying intent. He wasn't an X-Men fan laying out truth bombs and trying to get people to understand a rough situation for something he loved. He's an editor for the Avengers books. He used his position to take things away from the X-Men franchise, force his negative views of various characters and concepts into the comics, and then made excuses for why those actions were good actually. The impetus behind the things he said was opportunism and mockery, not transparency. People picked up on that and reacted exactly how they would be expected to.

Truth is, he's not alone at Marvel with the attitude, either. He's just the most obvious, and the one that draws the broadest range of backlash among X-Men fans.
    It is silly to make unfounded claims about actual people. I know it isn’t a serious accusation but it is technically defamation of character. You have no idea that he was doing this, you are projecting based on your own perspective.

There is a much more realistic possibility that he was just acting as a mouthpiece for a corporation that had made a decision. That wouldn’t rely on him ‘taking away’ anything.

Surely we can all give up this paranoid delusion that everyone hated the X-Men now? We know why it happened, it was explained in as much detail as was possible under a corporate umbrella. It has been thawing for years. We are in a new world now.

Paranoia and conspiracy should have no place in fandom, but unfortunately it has infected it like a virus. Except we can just throw it off. It was always an illusion.

I will now be in a big dilemma. I hardly ever post here because of this kind of thinking. Now one of the most intelligent writers in all of comics is about to start a major project and I want to celebrate that. The X-Men are my first love. Is this the place to do that? If we all keep focusing on how much we think the people in power hate the tings we love, we will never enjoy anything.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 05-17-2019 at 03:24 AM.

Comic Geek in General

Odds are Uncanny would be the Flagship Book (probably with the Big Guns like Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm, Whatever Codename Jean’s using, Archangel, Iceman, Beast, etc), maybe a solo Wolverine title, X-Force........unfortunately we have to wait till SDCC or around then for official announcements (you know Marvel would tease/ slowly reveal before that).......any other solo/ duo/ team books are a question mark

for some reason I'm having trouble seeing the h-bomb call his main book uncanny but that's probably because the title has been recently drenched, bathed, and rinsed in regurgitated nostalgia honey vomit

mmmm, that sounds tastier when i describe it than it actually was for the books
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Claremont and Hickman are from two different eras.
    Next you're gonna say Jason Aaron is superior to Walt Simonson.
    "Cable was right!"