View Poll Results: Are you excited about Hickman's bold, new direction for the X-Men books?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

147 79.89%
  • No.

30 16.30%
  • I don't like or know anything about comics.

7 3.80%
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    In terms of the craft of writing comics (i.e. structure, layout, composition, symbolism), Morrison was hands down the strongest writer to ever work on the franchise. For example, the "silent issue" with Jean and Emma going into Xavier's mind is one of the best X-Men comics ever written.

In terms of concepts and ideas, he was fairly strong as well. Scaling up the size of the mutant population so that mutant culture was a viable idea in-universe was an innovation for the X-Men mythos, and it opened up all kinds of new story possibilities. Also, his revelation of the Weapon X program being just one iteration of a much larger and long-lived Weapon Plus initiative was clever as well and wove a part of the X-Men backstory into the fabric of Marvel Universe history in an interesting way.

Where Morrison fell down was in characterization and his portrayal of relationships. He got Scott and Jean all wrong. He got Magneto even more wrong. He made Emma more entertaining, but weaker. Other than Quentin Quire, his big villains--Cassandra Nova and Sublime--were rather one-dimensional and "meh".

Overall, Morrison's run was a mixed bag.
    That's a fair assessment on Morrison's run. I also think he added a lot of interesting concepts: secondary mutation, Kick, Nova, the mutant culture, the school finally being a school, a Riot at the school.

On characterization, tho, I think Morrison wrote Xavier, Nova, Jean and Emma really well. "Just" the non-telepaths that were all stupid.

Scott especially was very poorly written. His tantrum and running off to the Hellfire Club were so Austen-like.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Same, it honestly might my second favorite Marvel run ever behind only Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man
    I didn’t. It fell flat for me, for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBAR007 View Post
    In terms of the craft of writing comics (i.e. structure, layout, composition, symbolism), Morrison was hands down the strongest writer to ever work on the franchise. For example, the "silent issue" with Jean and Emma going into Xavier's mind is one of the best X-Men comics ever written.

In terms of concepts and ideas, he was fairly strong as well. Scaling up the size of the mutant population so that mutant culture was a viable idea in-universe was an innovation for the X-Men mythos, and it opened up all kinds of new story possibilities. Also, his revelation of the Weapon X program being just one iteration of a much larger and long-lived Weapon Plus initiative was clever as well and wove a part of the X-Men backstory into the fabric of Marvel Universe history in an interesting way.

Where Morrison fell down was in characterization and his portrayal of relationships. He got Scott and Jean all wrong. He got Magneto even more wrong. He made Emma more entertaining, but weaker. Other than Quentin Quire, his big villains--Cassandra Nova and Sublime--were rather one-dimensional and "meh".

Overall, Morrison's run was a mixed bag.
    are u me.

Morrison and Quitely's understanding of the comics medium mixed with Morrison's blatant re-writing of some characters left me with mixed feelings. Morrison had a feel for the pre and post 9/11 world, though. Nuking Genosha was weirdly prophetic.

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Such news! Such intrigue!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm quite pleased with what we've been given.
    I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the unexpected randomness of these teams...if nothing else, at least we won't get re-rehashes of past books/teams/stories.
    That said, I ABSOLUTELY LOVELOVELOVE New Mutants featuring the Original New Mutants/Gen X...But...it's Mutants in Space stories with Shi'ar, etc. which I also LOVE so...yupp.
    I'm HAPPY!

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Did anyone change their minds with regard to their poll voting after seeing the reveals this weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Foon4000 View Post
    are u me.

Morrison and Quitely's understanding of the comics medium mixed with Morrison's blatant re-writing of some characters left me with mixed feelings. Morrison had a feel for the pre and post 9/11 world, though. Nuking Genosha was weirdly prophetic.
    no, are u me

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Did anyone change their minds with regard to their poll voting after seeing the reveals this weekend?
    Yes, nothing really exciting

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

I was super excited, I'm still excited for X-men and X-force but the others didn't hype me much.

BANNED

I had zero hype, but am now planning on buying 5 out of 6 books.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    I had zero hype, but am now planning on buying 5 out of 6 books.
    I'm even interested in Fallen Angels now.

Yes. I'm still waiting to see if all the recents deaths are undone, but I'm now optimistic.

And there is at least one book without the old guard. Plus Quire isn't in this one.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Much more hyped now that we kind of have a hint of what Hickman is doing, and even more if Hickman’s really turning the X-Men into immortal bisexuals.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    I was super excited, I'm still excited for X-men and X-force but the others didn't hype me much.
    Hah, I’m the exact opposite - less excited about those two and super intrigued by the rest!

I have grown weary of this "hype."

I demand SUSTENANCE. I. DEMAND. FOOD.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Figured I would be most excited about Hickman's book but turns out I'm most excited about Marauders and New Mutants.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel