View Poll Results: Are you excited about Hickman's bold, new direction for the X-Men books?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

147 79.89%
  • No.

30 16.30%
  • I don't like or know anything about comics.

7 3.80%
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    You have to love Hickman when he drops nuggets like “how mutants bend the Kardashev scale”.

I really hope this works because this is exactly what I was wishing for. A new clean slate, a re-evaluation of what X-Books should be and Hickman. It’s brave, bold and seems pretty fearless. I expect a lot of people to hate this.

Especially when he says “Where the psychological expectation is something catered, or personalized.” He is hitting the nail on the head of modern fandom right there.

I really want to know what he means by vertical integration possibilities, that could be a hint that the new wave of X-movies will follow the same pattern.
    Everything you've said!!! Especially the bolded.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

You have to love Hickman when he drops nuggets like “how mutants bend the Kardashev scale”.

I really hope this works because this is exactly what I was wishing for. A new clean slate, a re-evaluation of what X-Books should be and Hickman. It’s brave, bold and seems pretty fearless. I expect a lot of people to hate this.

Especially when he says “Where the psychological expectation is something catered, or personalized.” He is hitting the nail on the head of modern fandom right there.

I really want to know what he means by vertical integration possibilities, that could be a hint that the new wave of X-movies will follow the same pattern.
    Yeah I also noticed that comment about the vertical integration... I took it to mean Hickman will also write for Marvel's TV shows or movies? Possibly X-Men ones?

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    Yeah I also noticed that comment about the vertical integration... I took it to mean Hickman will also write for Marvel's TV shows or movies? Possibly X-Men ones?
    He almost sounded like an editor.

It would be crazy if he were involved in MCU's introduction of mutants.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    He almost sounded like an editor.

It would be crazy if he were involved in MCU's introduction of mutants.
    He sounds like what someone who is in charge of a comic book line should, like how Greg Rucka took full creative control of Wonder Women during Rebirth.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

I suspect that last bit also has a lot to do with why we've been in a nostalgic feedback loop for quite a while. Where everyone is telling X-Men stories about other X-Men stories.

Mighty Member

I was optimistic, but now I'm really confident since Hickman brought up the Kardashev scale and mutants. I sat back and said, "Why did we never think of that?"

All this sounds great.
    I hope my favorites will have some good role in it.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    I was optimistic, but now I'm really confident since Hickman brought up the Kardashev scale and mutants. I sat back and said, "Why did we never think of that?"
    The Phoenix will finally make us Tier II.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I think what he's getting at is actually the inverse: Marvel wasn't able to fully profit from X-Men outside of comics, especially with regard to movies, so they weren't very motivated to nurture their X-Men comics.

Now that Marvel has re-acquired all X-Men rights, they're actually interested in investing in their X-Men comics, which presents him with more opportunities to tell stories he wants to tell and collect an appropriate paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu View Post
    JH: I suspect that last bit also has a lot to do with why we've been in a nostalgic feedback loop for quite a while. Where everyone is telling X-Men stories about other X-Men stories.
    Shots fired at Bendis!
    Last edited by Filthy Mutie; 05-14-2019 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Typo City.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Shots fired at Bendis!
    I don't think Bendis is really the worst offender of that... I'd say he actually brought a lot of new ideas compared to the others that came after him, he just wasn't able to execute them very well.

I remain skeptical until I know more and/or read the actual comics. Too much hype, too few details, too much rationalization. And no one writer should ever be given total creative control over a franchise without serious editorial supervision; sounds like the plans were forced on the X-MEN editors. I'll believe this is a good thing when I see it; i.e., I'll believe the X-Men aren't being screwed-over again when I see it. I'll be a lot happier when I know what the books and creative teams are after HoX and PoX are finished. (Sorry, I can't help it. Nearly every big plan for the X-Men has crashed and burned. Characters have been trashed. I can't get excited about this until I see Hickman is doing something good and positive.)

"Comics journalism"? Filthy Mutie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I don't think Bendis is really the worst offender of that... I'd say he actually brought a lot of new ideas compared to the others that came after him, he just wasn't able to execute them very well.
    Name names.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    I remain skeptical until I know more and/or read the actual comics. Too much hype, too few details, too much rationalization. And no one writer should ever be given total creative control over a franchise without serious editorial supervision; sounds like the plans were forced on the X-MEN editors. I'll believe this is a good thing when I see it; i.e., I'll believe the X-Men aren't being screwed-over again when I see it. I'll be a lot happier when I know what the books and creative teams are after HoX and PoX are finished. (Sorry, I can't help it. Nearly every big plan for the X-Men has crashed and burned. Characters have been trashed. I can't get excited about this until I see Hickman is doing something good and positive.)
    The thing about it is that the editorial supervision is literally what is turn the X-Men titles into the dumpster fire that they are today the X-Men books have lacked a cohesive vision ever since Avengers vs X-Men. Before that even. This is getting me excited because Hickman is all about interconnectivity especially if he's leading the front when it comes to shaping the X-Men books for the next couple of years I'm here for some fresh ideas and if not fresh ideas than some quality revisions of old ideas.

I want good characterizations, slow Burns, build ups and epic payoffs

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Name names.
    Lemire on EXM, Guggenheim on XMG, Rosenberg(+Brisson/Kelly) on Uncanny. And AOXM is still kind an Age of Apocalypse rehash. I'm not exactly saying they're worst than Bendis, most of them aren't overall, but their books were even more rooted in nostalgia and rehashing old ideas.

Lemire's run wasn't even nostalgia driven beyond his character choices. It was just really pedestrian.

Guggenheim's run was all nostalgia though, to the point where it was kind of embarrassing.