View Poll Results: Are you excited about Hickman's bold, new direction for the X-Men books?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

147 79.89%
  • No.

30 16.30%
  • I don't like or know anything about comics.

7 3.80%
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    I've said it before on another thread, but I'd just like to restate - either the NXM characters get a prominant role (as characters, not corpses) or I'm simply tuning out.
    I've bought every issue of disassambled, and am currently buying every issue of NextGen as it comes out - not interested in the rest all that much.
    While everyone has to make his or her call on this sort of thing, I can't really see any character(or group of characters) being a "Make Or Break" deal on something like this.

It's a kind of odd ask from a creator who clearly has a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    I'd say dump Rosenberg, but I don't want Rosenberg touching other Marvel franchises, so yes, give him more mootants.

ed likes boom-boom so I'm ride or die on that brisson kissin' as long as they don't give him anything important to botch again like exxxtentacion (and also if he gives me more tab)
    As much as he seems to like trying to do in characters, they ought to just let him take a crack at Nextwave.

Win/Win.

Characters who cannot be killed versus writer who is coming off of just such a run.

Quote Originally Posted by jalsrix View Post
    If he can write as good as Claremont , then I prefer a single writer rather than multiple writers who write the same character differently.

I haven't met a writer as good as Claremont ever since he left.
    To be completely serious for a moment, it's actually more like "Can Claremont write as well as Hickman?"

Size X-Men

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While everyone has to make his or her call on this sort of thing, I can't really see any character(or group of characters) being a "Make Or Break" deal on something like this.

I find it's a lot more common with company IP that folks will be willing to drop it until their favorite writers or characters are involved than, say, stepping away from something like GoT because their favorite character died. I think it's just a natural consequences of round-robin stories only mattering as much as the next writer says they do - by the nature of the beast, there's no actual endpoint to the narrative, and there's no consistency to the narrative. So some readers will focus in on the parts of the franchise that are especially meaningful to them for whatever reason and let the rest fall by the wayside until there's a reason to pay attention again. Even with something like HoX/PoX, if you're not that attached to the spotlight cast, you probably wouldn't feel you'd missed out on much just reading the plot points afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    I remain skeptical until I know more and/or read the actual comics. Too much hype, too few details, too much rationalization. And no one writer should ever be given total creative control over a franchise without serious editorial supervision; sounds like the plans were forced on the X-MEN editors. I'll believe this is a good thing when I see it; i.e., I'll believe the X-Men aren't being screwed-over again when I see it. I'll be a lot happier when I know what the books and creative teams are after HoX and PoX are finished. (Sorry, I can't help it. Nearly every big plan for the X-Men has crashed and burned. Characters have been trashed. I can't get excited about this until I see Hickman is doing something good and positive.)
    Seems to me you read an entirely different interview. Nowhere does he say he is control of the entire line, he clearly says he had to go back and make changes after his ‘argument’ with the senior editors. You may understandably be cynical that this will fail like every other attempt since at least Marvel Now but I don’t see any cause for undue pessimism.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Lemire on EXM, Guggenheim on XMG, Rosenberg(+Brisson/Kelly) on Uncanny. And AOXM is still kind an Age of Apocalypse rehash. I'm not exactly saying they're worst than Bendis, most of them aren't overall, but their books were even more rooted in nostalgia and rehashing old ideas.
    You kind of are saying this and you would be absolutely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Filthy Mutie View Post
    Of the anecdotes relating to creators hearing Jonathan Hickman's plans, this one seems the most honest: https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1128409892283461632

I really want this to be true. When Secret Wars was announced I wrote a little piece to parody how the Marvel retreat went but this is much more fun. I hope it reflects a genuine shock though. Nothing short of courageous will do, now we have had this glimpse.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Why is everyone making a big deal of "canceling the X-Men", Marvel has "cancelled Marvel" a dozen times in the last 8 years, never mind the X-Men doing X-wide relaunches numerous times. Although most of these Marvel NOW type relaunches have been sloppy at resetting the X-books at the same time as the rest of the books.

Do people who write about comics even read them?

The best is Liefeld flipping out about it. I think part of it is feeling like Marvel didn't do much to promote his book and now downplay it as well, but "cancelling the X-Men" is not something unusual.
    Is anyone making an undue deal out of it? The interview basically admits this. All that talk of delineated change was Hickman saying ‘yep Marvel have done this before, that’s how comics work’.

We are excited because it is Hickman. I have been excited since before Secret Wars when he only casually suggested he would work on X-Men but that Marvel were not prioritising it. That to me always held a promise that one day he would be allowed to do whatever he had in his head.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Clickhole: "Jonathan Hickman cancelled all the X-Men books because they are garbage and he hates working with others."

Rob Liefeld: "Check out this badass. Better stick to your third rung SHIELD title that will never be finished!"
    Ha ha. Except he did finish it and it was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post

It is also exactly what Hickman is talking about when he says that the modern audience seems to want things tailored to them. Comics will die if that’s all they ever do. Chase vocal fans who never seem to put their money where there stated intention implies.

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Lady View Post
    It might be great, and it might not. From what I've seen Hickman tends to center on caucasian men and the women are secondary. Case in point - Previews show men in new or modified costume designs but Jean is thrown back to that awful mini skirt costume (Not a favorite look judging by a number of comments)

Why am I worried that things might change so much that I'm not going to like the X-Men anymore, just like they changed after House of M and I lost interest for several years. I'll reserve judgement until after the upcoming mini.
    He focuses on the characters he wants to focus on. He's re-launching the x-men, why would wolverine and Scott not be front and center. Also, you're complaining about jean's costume, Hickman said there is a reason why people are wearing wht they are. Instead of wigging out, let's just wait and read it.

So this vertical integration opportunity thing. Hickman is into economics. He is not going to use a term like that lightly. It usually means a company that integrates its supply chain or takes more control of its distribution. In this media context it heavily hints that the comics will be more integrated with the other Media.

It may not please comic book fans, especially the ones that believe the direct market voices, but Marvel undoubtedly sell a lot of trades to movie goers. They just don’t buy them in comic stores. This may be an indication that Marvel are finally considering proper synergy. It could even hint that Feige is not getting the X-Men but that might just be me projecting because I don’t want him anywhere near them.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    So this vertical integration opportunity thing. Hickman is into economics. He is not going to use a term like that lightly. It usually means a company that integrates its supply chain or takes more control of its distribution. In this media context it heavily hints that the comics will be more integrated with the other Media.

It may not please comic book fans, especially the ones that believe the direct market voices, but Marvel undoubtedly sell a lot of trades to movie goers. They just don’t buy them in comic stores. This may be an indication that Marvel are finally considering proper synergy. It could even hint that Feige is not getting the X-Men but that might just be me projecting because I don’t want him anywhere near them.
    I had heard that Marvel Studios (Feige) basically severed the co-operation with the comics division (Perlmutter & co).

Is that not longer the case?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    I had heard that Marvel Studios (Feige) basically severed the co-operation with the comics division (Perlmutter & co).

Is that not longer the case?
    That's pretty much still the case, as far as I know. Feige answers directly to Iger. I doubt Buckley could be on the same position, because I don't think that's even possible, but there might be some change regarding the relationship between the comics and the other media. Hard to say for now.