View Poll Results: Do you think DC has gone the wrong route with their movies.

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

64 34.04%
  • NO

124 65.96%
Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Too add to this, didn't the WB president recently say that humour is an essential part to their universe? And it might have been said person (not sure) who also said that the DC's movies are going to be a lit bit more more edgier than Marvels. It amazes me how everyone who brings that up always forgets the little bit more. And it seems unlike Marvel they're dealing with real time consequences and how IRL things would be perceived, ie Superman. I think DC are going the right and best way with their movies! Infact it might be a blessing Marvel beat them to it, BvS is shaping up to be the greatest Superhero movie ever.
    In an alternate universe, JL Mortal worked out..and DC were the first ones to make a cinematic universe.

In another universe, GL worked out very well..and made a universe out of that.

And in our universe, DC failed with both (well, with Mortal, it was other reasons), and now we are getting BvS and other movies.

I wonder which universe got the best deal (I think we did; especially with movies like SS, Aquaman, Cyborg and so forth).

Of course, I might be forgetting all the 90s stuff..they were planning on making a Superman/Batman movie back then, weren't they?
    Last edited by Triple J; 07-21-2015 at 04:09 PM.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    In an alternate universe, JL Mortal worked out..and DC were the first ones to make a cinematic universe.

In another universe, GL worked out very well..and made a universe out of that.

And in our universe, DC failed with both (well, with Mortal, it was other reasons), and now we are getting BvS and other movies.

I wonder which universe got the best deal (I think we did; especially with movies like SS, Aquaman, Cyborg and so forth).

Of course, I might be forgetting all the 90s stuff..they were planning on making a Superman/Batman movie back then, weren't they?
    Early '00s.

Batman & Daredevil Fan rorschach51's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Only time will tell. There's only one movie released in regards their newly planned movieverse, and that was a hit so the evidence thus far would suggest no. But again they're only one movie in.

On a personal level though, I think virtually every Marvel movie ever released has been overrated. They're all mediocre to me at best. So I'm fine knowing DC isn't copying them.
    Oh god, so much this! This **** doesn't get said enough, if hardly ever at all. Marvel has produced several steaming turds. The Incredible Hulk while better than Ang Lee's Hulk still wasn't very good. Both Iron Man movies after the first sucked ass (imo.) The 1st Thor was just okay with the second being slightly worse, and those are just the Marvel Studio's movies that weren't all that. If you take into account the Marvel character movies that were made by other studios the shitty list gets much longer Daredevil, X2, Hulk, Elektra, XM:TLS, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man 3, FF:ROTSS, XMO:W, GR:SOV, The Wolverine, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 all range from god what the **** were they thinking, to **** that sucked! But everybody thinks of all things Marvel as perfect right now, so nothing critical hardly ever gets said from comic book/comic book movie fans.

Incredible Member

My main issue with DC is that they're scrambling to catch up to Marvel instead of taking the time to develop their cinematic universe more carefully. DC has always had a bad habit of casting big name actors to try to cover for otherwise mediocre writing and plots of their films. It really doesn't help that over the years they've limited themselves to banking on the success of solely Batman and Superman while letting their other characters languish in cinema hell, the few times they've ventured into other characters they've either been too obscure (Jonah Hex), butchered (Catwoman, Green Lantern), or based on comics unaffiliated with the mainstream (RED, Watchmen, The Losers).

I mean look at how they're handling the Suicide Squad, can't really say I've seen anything that's impressed me and in all honestly I'm not really all that confident that the movie isn't going to suck. Between the casting and character lineup makes me think DC is just cramming as many noteworthy people in as they can in a desperate gambit to salvage what will likely be a weak plot. Mind you I reserve judgement until I actually see the movie but I'm not really expecting much. The same can be said about the everything that's going to be following. I love Jason Momoa but he's not the guy I would have gotten for Aquaman, ditto with Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Draegwolf View Post
    My main issue with DC is that they're scrambling to catch up to Marvel instead of taking the time to develop their cinematic universe more carefully. DC has always had a bad habit of casting big name actors to try to cover for otherwise mediocre writing and plots of their films. It really doesn't help that over the years they've limited themselves to banking on the success of solely Batman and Superman while letting their other characters languish in cinema hell, the few times they've ventured into other characters they've either been too obscure (Jonah Hex), butchered (Catwoman, Green Lantern), or based on comics unaffiliated with the mainstream (RED, Watchmen, The Losers).
    You're blaming the wrong people, though. WB calls the shots, not DC.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Hmm..MOS was released in 2013. BvS in 2016. That's 3 years..so you think, 3 years wasn't enough?

I don't get the whole rushing argument..had they done this in 2014, sure. No, this is 3 years we are talking about.

Not sure where you got that from..care to elaborate? DC has had their fair share of failures, but it's not like they didn't try, and deliberately got bad directors/writers.

Sure, they focused on Batman and Superman, but like you mentioned they also made a few other movies.

And it certainly doesn't apply to either of the current films (BvS or SS). BvS is written by Terrio (writer of Argo) and directed by Snyder (he's a great director, as long as he has a great script).

SS is written and directed by David Ayer (Ostrander is co-writing the movie).

I mean look at how they're handling the Suicide Squad, can't really say I've seen anything that's impressed me and in all honestly I'm not really all that confident that the movie isn't going to suck. Between the casting and character lineup makes me think DC is just cramming as many noteworthy people in as they can in a desperate gambit to salvage what will likely be a weak plot. Mind you I reserve judgement until I actually see the movie but I'm not really expecting much. The same can be said about the everything that's going to be following. I love Jason Momoa but he's not the guy I would have gotten for Aquaman, ditto with Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman.
    They have done both - some noteworthy actors/actresses and some oddball choices (what would you have them choose? Anyways, that's the same thing Marvel did. No one imagined RDJ or Chris Evans as Ironman or Captain America. But, can people think of other actors portraying those roles?).
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I kind of like it better that we're getting the shared Universe right away. In a way it makes it more believable, counter-intuitively. Instead of having to explain every single character through a brand new origin with the usual cliches, and having to repeatedly suspend our disbelief over and over as a hero gets their powers and fights & defeats a one-dimensional villain developed within less than a 2 hour time-frame, we're getting introduced to characters already-established in many ways in just 2 films, and the concept of meta-humans is becoming acknowledged. An Affleck Batman movie, a Wonder Woman movie, an Aquaman movie, and a second Superman movie starring Luthor would have been excessive and unnecessary. Those can come after. I like that Superman, DC's epicenter, is "drawing them out".