View Poll Results: Do you think DC has gone the wrong route with their movies.

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

64 34.04%
  • NO

124 65.96%
Page 4 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

I don't really care about anything else but seeing Darkseid on the big screen. But Marvel has cock-blocked DC/WB by using his doppelgänger Thanos. And we all know that he'll appear again in Guardians of the Galaxy. Oh well.

No
    Let them feel distiguishable
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

I don't think they problem is the tone of the movies, to be honest I'm kind of sick of all the humor in Marvel movies. DC/WB just need to have more faith in characters other than Superman and Batman, which I guess they are trying to do but the travesty that was Green Lantern didn't help.

Marvel movies have become quite formulaic. Though they are trying something a bit different with Guardians, which is getting rave reviews. I'm getting a little tired of Marvel's arrogant smarmy characters. Robert Downey Jr. has just set the tone for the Marvel cinematic universe. But if people keep paying to see them there's no reason to change.
    It's strange that DC is the dark universe and Marvel is the lighthearted one. For so many years it was the other way around.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Not at all.

The Nolan BATMAN films were great. MAN OF STEEL was fantastic. I have a lot of faith in DAWN OF JUSTICE.

What works for MARVEL, might not work for the gods of the DCU. Hell, I thought the THOR films didn't take the character where I thought he needed to be. The first one was fun, but the second one was just a mess.

You can't even compared them with Marvel. They can't have gone the wrong way because there isn't even a way they have gone. There is one film. And another one that will be released in a little less than two years.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

I think that DC needs to clearly differentiate itself from Marvel by not creating an intertextual "cinematic universe" and rather use their rich history to develop stand alone properties that can borrow characters but within the individual continuities of the particular film franchise. In essence I think DC's films should have infinite earths and it could potentially lead to a Crisis film. This could also lead to "Kingdom Come", "New Frontier", "Sinestro Corps War", "Swampthing", "Dark Knight Returns", "Hellblazer" and various other storyline getting adaptations.

I know this may sound complicated but I already think that Nolan's Batseries is the cinematic Earth 2 (clearly not a direct equivalent). Batman settles with Catwoman before "dying" and the title being passed to Robin etc.
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 07-31-2014 at 10:10 PM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus

Incredible Member FIFTY-TWO (52)'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doctormistermaster View Post
    I think that DC needs to clearly differentiate itself from Marvel by not creating an intertextual "cinematic universe" and rather use their rich history to develop stand alone properties that can borrow characters but within the individual continuities of the particular film franchise.
    I think that's what they're doing. There's clearly a Justice League story being developed, but movies like Metal Men and Shazam, while part of the cinematic universe, may not necessarily be part of the JL story.
    Last word out of your sorry mouth will be SIR and it will be LOUD!!

i read somewhere that guys behind LEGO movie are in talks with WB to do some DC stuff so if that's true they are perfect for Captain Marvel movie imo.

BANNED

Yes. Gal Gadot and her costume are a symptom of a larger problem, the embarrassment DC seems to feel and the lack of faith they appear to have in Wonder Woman, and some of their other characters (that aren't Batman).

This picture is very telling...

Has all of society really become that cold, dark and dreary since these original live action heroes debuted? I don't think it has. There's still fun and joy left in the world, but you'd never know it by DC's cinematic universe

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    Yes. Gal Gadot and her costume are a symptom of a larger problem, the embarrassment DC seems to feel and the lack of faith they appear to have in Wonder Woman, and some of their other characters (that aren't Batman).

Has all of society really become that cold, dark and dreary since these original live action heroes debuted? I don't think it has. There's still fun and joy left in the world, but you'd never know it by DC's cinematic universe
    I think there's place for both sets (and others) in the world. We've had decades to enjoy the top set; nothing wrong with giving the bottom set a shake.

I recall an exchange from the original STAR TREK series:

Dr. Miranda Jones: I understand, Mr. Spock. The glory of creation is in its infinite diversity.

Mr. Spock: And the ways our differences combine, to create meaning and beauty.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    That's probably true on a financial level, but quality-wise? No chance. A shared universe means mediocre Yes-men as directors and writers, as well as movies bound to a single tone and formula to fit with the other movies in the universe. It's the complete and total victory of money over creativity, and it's ruining superhero movies for everybody.
    Ruining super-hero movies for everybody? Says who? They may be spoiling your enjoyment of them but certainly not 'everybodys'.

I accept that, after the MCU, there are other Hollywood studios trying to jump on the bandwagon. Fox looking to expand the Spider-Man franchise with Sinister Six and Venom films springs to mind. But Marvel and DC/Warner taking a closer and more integrated approach to their movies and TV shows has improved the quality, not lowered it. Just because certain directors have their own personal take and 'artistic vision' for a character doesn't always mean it's the right one. Ang Lee's 'Hulk' is an example of that. As formulaic as the MCU reboot was it was still a far more enjoyable movie. Has the world been denied the chance to see a classic take on Ant-Man just because Edgar Wright jumped ship? I seriously doubt it. He should have known that Marvel would have wanted to correlate it with the other movies from the start.

Of course there are still mis-steps. As a Green Lantern fan I was as disappointed with the film as everyone else. But DC/Warner would never let a cast iron turkey like 'Batman & Robin' slip out again (at least I bloody hope not).

Shared continuity is a fundamental element of super-hero comics and the films should reflect that. The upcoming Justice films have the potential to be incredible and the majority of fans are looking forward to them, not feeling that they've been 'ruined'.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Nope, I loved MoS and am loving everything I'm seeing about Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Except the DoJ tagline, that's kinda silly.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post

As someone who has been following DC characters since the late '60s, I can't see any argument that could persuade me to believe the older costumes look cooler than the newer ones (though Lynda Carter would look terrific in a potato sack, of course ). I also can't see them producing more revenue for WB than the updated ones, either, but I can see them losing money for them fairly easily.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

BANNED

Yes I would say the world has gotten darker or at the very least everyone knows the world is a dark plac.e