View Poll Results: Do you think DC has gone the wrong route with their movies.

Voters
188. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

64 34.04%
  • NO

124 65.96%
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Difference is, back then, people weren't ashamed of something being bright and fun.
    Uh, yes they were. It's just that then all these superheroes were clearly aimed at young children and not thought of as anything more than disposable cheap entertainment.

And no, the world's not a darker place than it was before, but thanks to modern news and the internet we hear a lot more about the state of the world than you did before. You wouldn't have heard as many stories about paedophiles in the 60s as you do today.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Tiara View Post
    Yes. Gal Gadot and her costume are a symptom of a larger problem, the embarrassment DC seems to feel and the lack of faith they appear to have in Wonder Woman, and some of their other characters (that aren't Batman).
    What problem? The costume looks fantastic. It's not an embarrassment to update a costume design, its naive to think you don't have to. Is Marvel embarrassed by all of their film properties? Because there is not a single one that they have put on the screen without a modern update to it in a similar way. Most of their movies are great, to boot. I don't see this as any different, I think YOU have an issue with everything staying the same as when you were a kid, but most of us (I am an old timer reading comics since the 70's) are fine with the updates.

This picture is very telling...

Has all of society really become that cold, dark and dreary since these original live action heroes debuted? I don't think it has. There's still fun and joy left in the world, but you'd never know it by DC's cinematic universe
    Again, it has nothing to do with DC. Look at costumes in Marvel movies, and even their comics. That old style costume of bright colors, underwear outside the pants and a Big letter on your chest or belt are gone. It's not that the world is now dark, its just different than the time in which characters were initially created decades ago. Characters don't all have to be white any longer, they all don't have to have goofy costumes any longer and they don't have to be happy go lucky all the time. These kind of changes have been going on for a long time now, I don't know why you are complaining about DC doing it now.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The talk of DC being embarrassed of the superhero looks is a lazy argument. When it comes to live action, techniques have been honed and materials are more plentiful. That's all that's going on here. Saying that they're embarrassed of themselves because they choose not to have clothing that looks like pajamas like in the 60s and 70s is laughable.

Its like showing a side-by-side comparison of the original Ford Model T next to an F-150 and say the picture is telling that Ford is embarrassed by their vehicles.

Funny how MOS is embarrassed of superheroes yet create a world with flying dragons, flying robot housekeepers and alien warships.

Spadassin Extraordinaire Auguste Dupin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    Uh, yes they were. It's just that then all these superheroes were clearly aimed at young children and not thought of as anything more than disposable cheap entertainment.

And no, the world's not a darker place than it was before, but thanks to modern news and the internet we hear a lot more about the state of the world than you did before. You wouldn't have heard as many stories about paedophiles in the 60s as you do today.
    Pretty much. In fact, serious studies show that the world is a much less violent place than in any other time period: less wars, less crimes,....
    We're just becoming more self conscious about ourselves due to a easier access to informations.
    Hold those chains, Clark Kent
    Bear the weight on your shoulders
    Stand firm. Take the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by nightrider View Post

Funny how MOS is embarrassed of superheroes yet create a world with flying dragons, flying robot housekeepers and alien warships.
    And yet Krypton, even when it isn't the end of the world, seems like a pretty crappy place to live.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

"What can I say? I guess I outgrew maturity.." - Bob Chipman

Astonishing Member

Yes. Gal Gadot and her costume are a symptom of a larger problem, the embarrassment DC seems to feel and the lack of faith they appear to have in Wonder Woman, and some of their other characters (that aren't Batman).

This picture is very telling...

Has all of society really become that cold, dark and dreary since these original live action heroes debuted? I don't think it has. There's still fun and joy left in the world, but you'd never know it by DC's cinematic universe
    LOL.

Same thing going on everywhere.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pharozonk View Post
    And yet Krypton, even when it isn't the end of the world, seems like a pretty crappy place to live.
    Where was it shown that Krypton wasn't at the end of the world? The movie started with Krypton facing its end, just like the comic books. So you'll probably have to blame the comics.

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

Because it's a dystopian future that's lived under horrible tyranny and over-mining for centuries.

The whole idea is that Krypton WAS a crappy place to live and that Superman is supposed to embody everything that was good about Krypton so he could come and teach the people of Earth how to NOT end up like Krypton.

Why SHOULD Krypton be some idyllic paradise? How does that serve the story in any way?
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Where was it shown that Krypton wasn't at the end of the world? The movie started with Krypton facing its end, just like the comic books. So you'll probably have to blame the comics.
    Based on what we've seen in this iteration of Kyrpton, the societal standards and politics make it seem pretty backwards.
    "In any time, there will always be a need for heroes." - the Time Trapper, Legion of Superheroes #61(1994)

Astonishing Member

LOL.

To be fair to TFA, that Cap costume was substantially more comic book accurate than the other one you posted, and while it may have looked dark in promo material, it and the film itself were much bright visually. I don't think the same can be said for MOS, but that's just my opinion based on having watched the film only once when it came out.

Astonishing Member

Based on what we've seen in this iteration of Kyrpton, the societal standards and politics make it seem pretty backwards.
    Thats just one interpretation of an alien culture. What has it got to do with anything we're talking about?
    Krypton is going to die no matter what, how would a world thats about to end be rainbows, sunshine and unicorn?

Thats just one interpretation of an alien culture. What has it got to do with anything we're talking about?
    Krypton is going to die no matter what, how would a world thats about to end be rainbows, sunshine and unicorn?
    If it's a society of high scientific and artistic achievement, then the audience actually feels like there is something to lose when that civilization is destroyed. If they are just a bunch of greedy exploiters, why should we care that their planet is destroyed?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    To be fair to TFA, that Cap costume was substantially more comic book accurate than the other one you posted, and while it may have looked dark in promo material, it and the film itself were much bright visually. I don't think the same can be said for MOS, but that's just my opinion based on having watched the film only once when it came out.

I watched Cap 2 myself and I don't think its that much brighter visually. The film was alot of secret missions, assassinations and all in all pretty dark.

LOL.

Post Iron Trashcan Man now

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

If it's a society of high scientific and artistic achievement, then the audience actually feels like there is something to lose when that civilization is destroyed. If they are just a bunch of greedy exploiters, why should we care that their planet is destroyed?
    "High science" doesn't mean "high morality." Indeed, science actually encourages a degree of detached amorality when testing and analyzing data.

We don't care that Krypton was destroyed. Or at least we care only as far as the fact that Krypton's destruction brought the greatest hero of all time to our world.

Krypton made it's choices and destroyed itself. Now it's up to Superman to make sure that Earth doesn't follow in their footsteps.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--