Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Or something like the New Warriors before they got turned into the whipping boys (and girls) of the superhero community in Civil War and its aftermath. I should also mention that Dust of the New X-Men recently joined the Champions and Sunspot and Cannonball were Avengers for a few years real-time, with Sunspot even buying out and reorganizing A.I.M. as a branch of the Avengers.
    And don’t forget that even before Dust joined the team, they had another teammate who is a mutant in the form of Bombshell.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    And don’t forget that even before Dust joined the team, they had another teammate who is a mutant in the form of Bombshell.
    Hmm, is that how they're explaining it now? I thought her origin from Ultimate Spider-Man, that Roxxon experimented on her mother Lori while she was pregnant with her, still carried over to 616.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I'm all for mutants spreading their wings more. Sunspot's run with the Avengers was some of his best characterization in years (if not decades), Rogue's time with the Uncanny Avengers was a shot in the arm for her. There's so many mutants acting as wall paper over in the main x books that are begging for actual use.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Which Avenger(s) do you think they'd take out, just to entertain this notion?
    If I'm writing it, the tribe's powers would be to humans -- no matter where they were on the power scale -- as hard Kryptonite radiation is to Superman. Looking at the current Avengers squad, yeah, Captain Marvel, She-Hulk, Ghost Rider -- all dead. And Dr. Strange seriously injured.

I'm thinking of smart, cunning, godlike, beyond omega level super-predatory mutants who were locked away by their own choice, because their very presence adversely affected both humans and those born with the so-called X-gene (which is why the X-Men and other mutants can't/won't go near them). At the end of the day they see themselves as the overseers and caretakers of mutants, so they want them to thrive. But they awaken to find that's not the case. This tribe numbers 12 in its quorum, although they operate as four units of 3 to cover more of the globe simultaneously.

In terms of power, just one of them could take on a full Avengers squad solo...and win. I would purposefully design them to be the enemy that very few beings can defeat. They'd be like an Act of God or force of nature that must run its course; they wreak havoc, wipe out a large chunk of the world's population, but then disappear just as quickly and mysteriously as they came. Of course, as a consequence of their actions, the world becomes absolutely petrified of mutantkind. The human response could very well end all mutants.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Personally I want to see it. Maybe Beast and Firestar to be Avengers again and put a positive public face to mutants. As well I would like to see solo heroes who are mutants in other books. For example if they made Riri's friend Xavier a hometown mutant hero in her book.
    Problem is you use them and you are at the mercy of the X-office. If it's some that they actually care about and not use to bash a franchise (Storm post marriage or Gentle).

Now if you mean someone like Prodigy who has all but been forgotten by that office-sure why not.

I just wouldn't want someone in a book that will get whatever I am doing derailed if someone important mutant event is happening.

Not really, but recently a mutant getting put in a book that's not X-Men has tended to be much better for them than being in an X-Book.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Not really, but recently a mutant getting put in a book that's not X-Men has tended to be much better for them than being in an X-Book.
    Yeah, if you are a mutant Avenger or Champion (or Defender or Runaway or Young Avenger or New Warrior) you get whatever story the others on your team are getting. If you are a mutant X-Man, it's all mutant-angst-genocide-palooza, with zero variety. Oh, it's the Phoenix. again. Oh, it's Magneto, again. Oh, we found another isolated community of mutants (Morlocks, Genosha, etc.) *and they all must die* to serve our wangst.

The more mutants who can escape the mutant X-ghetto, and the grim pointless fates of people like Rahne Sinclair and Alani Ryan and Ruth Aldine, the better. (The more young mutant *girls* who can escape, even better still, since they are the preferred target of writers who kill for effect. Run, Dust, run!)

But I grew up with the Beast and Scarlet Witch as Avengers, Iceman and the Angel as Champions (and later Defenders), Justice and Firestar on the New Warriors, etc. (And more recently, Molly Hayes as a Runaway, and Wiccan and Speed as Young Avengers.) I'm used to some mutants being able to integrate with less-racially-selective teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Frankly, mutants in general are being used better outside the X-books than in them, as we were discussing in the X-boards
    uh where?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    But I grew up with the Beast and Scarlet Witch as Avengers .
    well if those are your examples you wish to follow.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    I'm used to some mutants being able to integrate with less-racially-selective teams.
    those Mutants always seemed weird to me ...just chilling... messing around with Baron Zemo while your people are being mistreated :/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I actually would prefer to see more evil mutants who only fight the most powerful Avengers, because the X-Men, quite frankly, don't stand a chance against them. Powerful, evil mutants who routinely and indiscriminately kill humans in mass numbers. There are almost 8 billion souls on the planet, mostly humans. There's your incentive. It's not political, or social change that they're seeking. It's more existential. They have just two modus operandi: 1. They only target cities with around 400,000 inhabitants or greater. 2. Every human dies. Give me that group of uber-mutants who knock off the human populations in a dozen cities across the globe before anyone gets wise to the fact that a sick and twisted cleansing is underway. And then bring that group of evil super-mutants to the Americas. If the narrative is that mutant hate and hysteria is out of control in the US now, just wait until these psychotic super-mutants wipe out Miami, or Omaha, or Kansas City, or Atlanta, or Boston...and then take out an Avenger or three on their way to their next target.
    Interesting but kind of the opposite of whe I want to see. My point is for there to be mutants who can give a positive face by being seen helping society as well as being saavy enough at PR to be giving interviews about who they are and what they do and being able to sway public opinion away from such anti-mutant histeria to speak out about positive interaction with mutants. Look at War of The Realms...you have a group of mutants still in NYC helping to protect people....what are they going to do after...go around hating on mutants and say things like "Yeah...these mutie freaks protected us...but I still want them all depowered or dead because they are at threat."

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Problem is you use them and you are at the mercy of the X-office. If it's some that they actually care about and not use to bash a franchise (Storm post marriage or Gentle).

Now if you mean someone like Prodigy who has all but been forgotten by that office-sure why not.

I just wouldn't want someone in a book that will get whatever I am doing derailed if someone important mutant event is happening.
    That is the problem...and the editor in chief needs to tell them..."tough crap...we are shifting away for all mutant angst all the time. We are going to have mutants being shown having a positive influence on society and show a segment of the public that supports them."

what are they going to do after...go around hating on mutants and say things like "Yeah...these mutie freaks protected us...but I still want them all depowered or dead because they are at threat."
    That's how the real world works to a lesser extent....by your logic there shouldn't be any racism or sexism because people see men and women of all races risking their lives to protect strangers lives as policemen, firefighters, first responders, military service

and yet...

That is the problem...and the editor in chief needs to tell them..."tough crap...we are shifting away for all mutant angst all the time. We are going to have mutants being shown having a positive influence on society and show a segment of the public that supports them."
    I think there are people that do buuuut they're a Small number. just like if you were to generalize the news coverage.... demonstrations etc im sure Americans would look like we all hate... immigrants or minimum wage workers lol

Lately all the mutants have been better characterized outside the X-Men so for me, perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Lately all the mutants have been better characterized outside the X-Men so for me, perfect.
    Mutants definitely need to move outside the x-books more. The same rehashed stories over and over gets stale. They've been fighting against the hate, etc for years now and haven't so much as made a dent??? Even in real life those who fought against rasism, hate etc encouraged and made change. The X-Men are still at square one.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by twisted sun View Post
    Mutants definitely need to move outside the x-books more. The same rehashed stories over and over gets stale. They've been fighting against the hate, etc for years now and haven't so much as made a dent??? Even in real life those who fought against rasism, hate etc encouraged and made change. The X-Men are still at square one.
    Exactly...there needs to be movement. Yes...you are still going to have the Friends of Humanity and Humanity's Last Stand....but that should be a minority. As well on the other side you should have the pro mutant side and they are a minority as well. The vast majority should be in the middle, on the fence. They could go either way. Magneto or the Brotherhood attacking their town could push them one way. And a mutant hero acting locally saving people and helping the authorities stop crimes or save kids from a fire could push them the other way.

Exactly...there needs to be movement. Yes...you are still going to have the Friends of Humanity and Humanity's Last Stand....but that should be a minority. As well on the other side you should have the pro mutant side and they are a minority as well. The vast majority should be in the middle, on the fence. They could go either way. Magneto or the Brotherhood attacking their town could push them one way. And a mutant hero acting locally saving people and helping the authorities stop crimes or save kids from a fire could push them the other way.
    Honestly I don't think the X verse powers that be know how to move them forward. There's so much potential in moving them forward . That's personally why I would like to see them move outside the x-verse for a bit. Let them have a win that changes legislation and the pros and cons that come win that win. That could lead to the examples you gave.

Incredible Member

I think this question is more tricky than it looks and it puts in perspectives the direction Marvel has taken for a few years now (I think since Bendis's Avengers Disassembled), that of a gloomy Marvel world with heroes against heroes (AVX, IVX), villains taking the power (Dark reign) and every tragedies the X-Men have faced.
    The Marvel world has been a world without hope for quite some time now, and it's time for a change.
    A time for more interconnections and interactions. A time for more solidarity and hope.
    Because without hope, there's no empathy for those characters we love. If they only go from crisis to crisis, why should we care?