Default The Ten Rings in MCU

They are a major villain group and has been set up since the first Iron Man, which the Ten Rings kidnapped Stark and worked with Iron Mongor. A Ten Rings member also gave Ivan the ticket in the 2nd movie, but all these setup has all been discarded in the 3rd one, we got a total imposter.

I always feel bad that there was a chance to build the Mandarin up to be the first "ultimate antagonist" of a superhero trilogy. But they didn't chose to do so. He doesn't have to be Chinese at all, just stand as the leader of the Ten Rings and follow the previous setup, which sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    They are a major villain group and has been set up since the first Iron Man, which the Ten Rings kidnapped Stark and worked with Iron Mongor. A Ten Rings member also gave Ivan the ticket in the 2nd movie, but all these setup has all been discarded in the 3rd one, we got a total imposter.

I always feel bad that there was a chance to build the Mandarin up to be the first "ultimate antagonist" of a superhero trilogy. But they didn't chose to do so. He doesn't have to be Chinese at all, just stand as the leader of the Ten Rings and follow the previous setup, which sucks.
    The short All Hail the King did set up that there is a real Mandarin out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The short All Hail the King did set up that there is a real Mandarin out there.
    I know, but they wasted chance to let him show up to have the showdown with Iron Man with such setup.

Eh, I didn't like the direction they went with the character to the small degree he exists at all. All that stuff about him being from centuries in the past, and him having a religious cult devoted to him suggests that they were setting him up to be a Mohamed-like figure, and comicbook Mandarin is nothing like that, not even metaphorically.

Comicbook Mandarin was a rich kid whose aunt squandered all his money turning him into her super-soldier, bankrupting the family estate in the process, like a cross between Roman Sionis and X-23. Then once he's bankrupt, he pulls a Christophe Columbus, becoming a wandering explorer, finding alien resources including the rings, and enslaves the villages near those resources. How old he is is vague, but at least in the 60's he seemed implicit to be Stark's age or only slightly older. In short, he's a contemporary of Stark who embodies conquest, colonialism, and the exploitation of people and resources.

So the whole this-is-Mohamed-with-the-serial-numbers-filed-off vibe of what little we know about movie Mandarin is very off-putting to me. I want my Roman Sionis/X-23/Christopher Columbus hybrid, not an embodiment of ancient religious fanaticism.

I didn't mind the fake-out in Iron Man 3. I laughed pretty heartily. Just wasn't a big deal to me to not have there be a chinese guy with 10 rings that were really the power batteries for a group of alien dragons' space ship. Hey. It is what it is.

Ten Rings is still a terrorist group, presumably, after the five years post-snap, they may have splintered and withered, however. Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    I know, but they wasted chance to let him show up to have the showdown with Iron Man with such setup.
    I'm wondering if they'll use him for Shang Chi. It's not exactly Fu Manchu, but it's in the ball park.

Eh, he's more like Gorilla Grodd with a bit of very superficial Asian imagery.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I find AIM to be a bigger waste. How can they use them for just one film?

Niffleheim

Shang Chi can takeover this story just like Stark was given the creation of Ultron

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm wondering if they'll use him for Shang Chi. It's not exactly Fu Manchu, but it's in the ball park.
    Ha! I didn't see your post but the solution for the 10 rings is obviously Shang Chhi
    Last edited by Tofali; 05-05-2019 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I find AIM to be a bigger waste. How can they use them for just one film?
    Yea but I feel LIKE AIM ,Justin Hammer, and the 10 Rings will make an appearance again. I agree Shang chi is a perfect place for the 10 rings to come back also Hope we get back to Fury being the common thread to everything. Looks like he has put Sheild or some kinda organization together in far from Home. So yea Want fury to have a bigger presence. I would say Jimmy Wu could be in there but Antman made him seen like he ain't the roundest bowl in the bowl shop lol.