Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Default Leviathon: Can Bendis do his magic

Just heard about Event Leviathon it has my curiosity peeked,can Brian Bendis do the same thing for Lois Lane & Barbara Gordon that he did for Jessica Jones & Jessica Drew in Marvel? Hope so since I have been a fan of Bendis' writing since Alias
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Honestly I think he can. See Bendis for the most part is a good writer and at times I’d even say great(Him writing Miles Morales was one of my favorite comic runs), but his best stories are honestly those that are more grounded and are focused around his characters, it’s when he tries to write crazy sci-fi epics that his writing leaves much to be desired(Age of Ultron is terrible and his Uncanny X-men original sin arc was bad). For me I do not like his Superman run but I enjoy his Action Comics series, along with Young Justice and Naomi because he has a feel for the characters in those stories. If he can stick to more grounded character focused story, which it looks like he’s doing I think he will be fine.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Bendis' "event" stories generally don't end too well but he might turn things around now that he's at DC.

I’m looking forward to finding out. With Maleev on art, even if the story sucks the art will look great. So there’s that at least.

Leviathan is exactly what I would want from Bendis at DC.
    Bendis with Maleev on the '80s O'Neil-related-streets-verse characters - Batman, Question and Green Arrow.

Manhunter was an inspired pick. She not only fits in with the above three, but she also has the law-related background to make her easy for Bendis to get into.
    Plastic Man on the other hand... While I like the character, he might be edging a bit too close to 'supers' for both Bendis and Maleev.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Bendis seems really motivated to do this project as opposed to his later Marvel events so he may bring his A-game, who knows. So far he has my interest especially with Manhunter and Question coming back to the forefront. I was hoping if he can get his hands on Bronze Tiger though

Honestly, the only thing I hope from this Event Leviathan is that it won't entirely invalidate The Silencer, which already altered Leviathan in the first place...

Astonishing Member

Depends on the BMB we get.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Honestly, the only thing I hope from this Event Leviathan is that it won't entirely invalidate The Silencer, which already altered Leviathan in the first place...
    "Looks at the doctor doom looking guy on the cover" too late for that.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I remember either Bendis or Abnett saying the plans for silencer changed because of what they were doing with talia in this book.

Ultimate Member

No, Bendis can not.

Bendis wants to write espionage thrillers, on one scale or other, but he can never be bothered with the details. And the problem is, spy thrillers require details like fish require water.

Look at Secret Invasion. Look at Secret Wars. All lack details with regards to damn near everything.

I suspect this crossover will be no different.

Bendis wants the credit of writing a Tom Clancy crossover, but IMO, he doesn't want to put the effort forth that would be required.

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

I'm currently looking forward to it, as I think it's definitely in Bendis's wheelhouse, but he's also very hit-or-miss with me. All I really want, though, is for Kate Spencer to be a standout and for it to sell well so we get a new Manhunter series out of the deal. Anything besides that will just be icing on the cake.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

No idea. Haven't read Bendis before he came to DC.

I sure wish his editor had let him know that Elongated Man is the detective that stretches though. Every time I read an interview where he lists DC's greatest detectives and includes Plastic Man I die a little inside.

Please, someone bring back Ralph and Sue!

I remember reading the Bendis/Maleev Daredevil alongside 100 Bullets and watching Sopranos.

Bendis is really good with street-level heroes.
    I didn't care for him on Avengers or anything more superheroey. I just wouldn't even bother looking at it.

I liked his Defenders, which I felt was shaping up to be his best run since Daredevil. But then it ended because he left for DC.

I'm hoping Leviathan does good. Question and Manhunter could use the exposure.
    And I'm suspecting the reason why Green Arrow's book is being relaunched is because he's taking it over. I think that would be a perfect fit for him.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I dont think ANY of Bendis events actually landed frankly.