Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is there a female writer out there who could be Diana's game-changer?

The female writer who will be to Wonder Woman what Frank Miller was to Batman (THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS), and what Grant Morrison is to Superman (ALL- STAR SUPERMAN)?

The one to write a widely acclaimed Greatest Story Ever for Diana?

Is there a short list of qualified candidates?

Has to be a woman who hasn't yet worked on a solo Wonder Woman story (prior JL experience is fine, per Grant Morrison's resume).

Bonus points if she is a hybrid writer/ artist.

Is there any lady already out in the field working who could answer this call???

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    The female writer who will be to Wonder Woman what Frank Miller was to Batman (THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS), and what Grant Morrison is to Superman (ALL- STAR SUPERMAN)?

The one to write a widely acclaimed Greatest Story Ever for Diana?

Is there a short list of qualified candidates?

Has to be a woman who hasn't yet worked on a solo Wonder Woman story (prior JL experience is fine, per Grant Morrison's resume).

Bonus points if she is a hybrid writer/ artist.

Is there any lady already out in the field working who could answer this call???
    Honestly I think it may be G. Willow Wilson, what we need to find out for sure is time. If she makes it through the next 10 issues and they're better than just acceptable I say give her 30 more. Let her do for Diana what Walt Simonson did for Thor. That's IF she manages to stick the landing to this road to Themyscira story, so far so good.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

A writer who can finally deliver a story of that caliber for Diana would be great. It doesn't necessarily have to be a woman, but it would be great if it was.

Greatest female writer she's had is still Joye Murchison. I think after that, Wilson might get the spot because Simone's run sort of fizzled out and Picoult's speaks for itself.

To be honest I don't think a writer will really save Wonder Woman. What she needs is an editor. As it is what Wonder Woman has is a guy who half pays attention and has been editor for Wonder Woman since the start of the Azzarello era and just shrugs when any writer comes in and says they want to completly reboot the character and start from scratch.
    In an interview Perez talked about how passionate Wonder Womans editor at the time was in trying to make Wonder Woman a big success and if we could get another Karen Berger, that would really change things.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    To be honest I don't think a writer will really save Wonder Woman. What she needs is an editor. As it is what Wonder Woman has is a guy who half pays attention and has been editor for Wonder Woman since the start of the Azzarello era and just shrugs when any writer comes in and says they want to completly reboot the character and start from scratch.
    In an interview Perez talked about how passionate Wonder Womans editor at the time was in trying to make Wonder Woman a big success and if we could get another Karen Berger, that would really change things.
    Note that Chris Conway recently left the title for some role at Vertigo. From #69, it seems that Conway and Wielgosz are being replaced by Brian Cunningham and Brittany Holzher. Here is what Tim Hanley had to say about the switch.

Chris Conroy and Dave Wielgosz have been editing the series for ages now, and the credits suggest it’s now passing on to Brian Cunningham and Brittany Holzher. It’s an interesting switch. On the one hand, Wonder Woman is a book that definitely benefits from a female presence in editorial, I think, and Holzher is a smart, well-respected assistant editor at DC. On the other hand, when I ran the numbers a couple years back, Cunningham hired the fewest number of female creators of any editor at DC except Eddie Berganza (who wasn’t allowed to work directly with women and has since been fired for sexual harassment). So a bit of a mixed bag here. I’ll keep an eye on things to see if there are any noticeable changes to the book once this transition is complete.
    As for a definitive and ground-breaking new take on Diana, I'm not sure it will come out of the in-continuity stories. You need a freer hand to write one such.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Maybe Renea De Liz

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Note that Chris Conway recently left the title for some role at Vertigo. From #69, it seems that Conway and Wielgosz are being replaced by Brian Cunningham and Brittany Holzher. Here is what Tim Hanley had to say about the switch.

As for a definitive and ground-breaking new take on Diana, I'm not sure it will come out of the in-continuity stories. You need a freer hand to write one such.
    Oh wow, I didn't notice.
    Well heres hoping this helps. Thank you for noticing~

I’ve been wondering that myself. I want a writer to come on and write an “epic” with WW akin to Morrison’s Batman/Superman/JL or Hickman’s F4/Avengers work. A long term years ongoing plan that touches on all aspects of the Wonder mythos and challenges Diana like never before. But I must confess I’m not sure who would be a good fit, and part of that is due to the industry not doing a good job at cultivating female talent.

Who are the current "it" female writers in comics? Aside from, I guess, Simone and to some extent Wilson.

Like, the only ones I can really think of are Kelly Sue DeConnick (who's currently writing Aquaman and was one of the creators behind the successful Carol Danvers revamp) and Kelly Thompson (who's currently writing Captain Marvel but doesn't seem like a big DC person).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Who are the current "it" female writers in comics? Aside from, I guess, Simone and to some extent Wilson.

Like, the only ones I can really think of are Kelly Sue DeConnick (who's currently writing Aquaman and was one of the creators behind the successful Carol Danvers revamp) and Kelly Thompson (who's currently writing Captain Marvel but doesn't seem like a big DC person).
    There’s Eve Ewing on Ironheart but she isn’t a big name in the comics world just yet, although I believe she’s a well-known novelist. I’ve heard good things about her Ironheart book though. Other than that there’s Margaret Stohl, but yeah it’s rather pathetically few honestly.

Speaking of hybrid writer/artists, what about

Kate Leth.

Wrote and pencilled the recent HELLCAT ongoing title at Marvel.

She might be able to do a great non-continuity (more like "continuity- adjacent" like DKR and ASS were) tale of Wonder Woman.

No shade but we got several female writers for WW in the past and they weren't exactly game changers for her. We got a female director for the WW movie which wasn't that groundbreaking for Diana either. The WW verse is a mess at the moment so it's going to take awhile to clean things up.

Quote Originally Posted by greymoon View Post
    No shade but we got several female writers for WW in the past and they weren't exactly game changers for her. We got a female director for the WW movie which wasn't that groundbreaking for Diana either. The WW verse is a mess at the moment so it's going to take awhile to clean things up.
    It may not have been groundbreaking for Diana’s comic portrayal, but Patty for a long time was the only DCEU director to make a critically successful DCEU movie. Her film really helped raise general awareness of Diana, and now Diana has a solid foundation akin to what Supes and Bats have, because DC is going to want to stick close to her movie portrayal. So I would disagree that Jenkins wasn’t groundbreaking for Diana overall.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Hmm... Kelly Thompson would be pretty great but she's found a solid home for herself over at Marvel. Otherwise I think that Willow is doing a solid job but that it hasn't really changed a whole lot, but that may be because she's restoring the status quo. I think she's done wonderfully defining the Steve/Diana relationship, which no one has really done all that well before now. Renea De Liz was great on her elseworlds Wonder Woman but if I were her I wouldn't want to work for DC comics again, Chelsea Cain, Marguerite Bennett, or Marjorie Liu might be a good choice, or Vita Ayala - who is nonbinary but...

I don't think that Diana really needs a women per se to redefine the character. A good writer with good editors is all that it would take and to be completely honest, TDK and All-Star Superman didn't really reinvent the wheel all that much, all those books did was write their characters the way that they should be in tales that even if they weren't very good (cough, TDK, cough) were iconic and memorable; it helped that Bruce and Clark already maintained a lot of popularity.

For Diana, George Perez came close. Azzarello might've done it if it hadn't been for what he did to he Amazon's. It was the WHOLE POINT of Rucka's second run.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It may not have been groundbreaking for Diana’s comic portrayal, but Patty for a long time was the only DCEU director to make a critically successful DCEU movie. Her film really helped raise general awareness of Diana, and now Diana has a solid foundation akin to what Supes and Bats have, because DC is going to want to stick close to her movie portrayal. So I would disagree that Jenkins wasn’t groundbreaking for Diana overall.
    Which is problematic for several reasons if you look closely at the opinions of fans on this forum.