Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I find Promethea highly overrated by some people. A pretty damn good superhero comic, which the awesome addition of Weeping Gorilla, bogged down by tedious lectures in Magick.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Have you sought professional mental health advice?
    Ha, maybe it belongs in the controversial opinions thread--although that thread excludes DC comics for some reason(?), but ASBAR is my favorite Bat-book in a loooooooooooong time. I loved it.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZombieHavoc View Post
    Ha, maybe it belongs in the controversial opinions thread--although that thread excludes DC comics for some reason(?), but ASBAR is my favorite Bat-book in a loooooooooooong time. I loved it.
    There's a thread in the DC boards called "Your DC only controversial opinions" but at first for some reason people started posting things that had nothing to DC Comics, so someone started this thread kind of tongue in cheek.

Your opinions about ASBAR could fit into this one as well though "Liking The Wrong Comics"
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ng-quot-Comics

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Your opinions about ASBAR could fit into this one as well though "Liking The Wrong Comics"
    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ng-quot-Comics
    Opening that threadm I saw DKSA right off the bat. I've found my people.

Quote Originally Posted by Stony View Post
    *cough*Dr Thirteen*cough*
    I can think of one thing he's written that I've enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Is that particular story really overrated though?

I think I may be the one actual fan of it.
    He's not suggesting it as an overrated comic. He's suggesting it as an Azzarello comic that I enjoyed.

Quote Originally Posted by ChadH View Post
    I think for some of these the state of the writing of comics stories at the time need to be taken into context.
    When they were released The Dark Knight Returns and The Killing Joke were a wide departure from almost everything being printed.
    I agree re: DKR.

The Killing Joke is exquisitely drawn hot garbage.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    I find Promethea highly overrated by some people. A pretty damn good superhero comic, which the awesome addition of Weeping Gorilla, bogged down by tedious lectures in Magick.
    Which I think is what Alan Moore said too. It became unreadable for me half way through.

My vote goes to longbow hunters. When your way to introduce a mission is for someone to fall through your living room window for no reason then you are way out of ideas and when that person also happens to know the location of the regions biggest coke smuggler then you have stretched the bounds of credibility to breaking point in the first few pages. Want to write a batman story? F it - just have the joker fall down the chimney of Wayne manor to get it started..

What's that green arrow? You like that painting? Please then tell me your long origin story for no real reason.

But at least you got that big bag of dirty money to keep at the end so good for you.

Cool idea for story and art is crazy good and some very good moments but it's just so stupid in other parts.

#rantingaboutlongbowhunters

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Which I think is what Alan Moore said too. It became unreadable for me half way through.

My vote goes to longbow hunters. When your way to introduce a mission is for someone to fall through your living room window for no reason then you are way out of ideas and when that person also happens to know the location of the regions biggest coke smuggler then you have stretched the bounds of credibility to breaking point in the first few pages. Want to write a batman story? F it - just have the joker fall down the chimney of Wayne manor to get it started..

What's that green arrow? You like that painting? Please then tell me your long origin story for no real reason.

But at least you got that big bag of dirty money to keep at the end so good for you.

Cool idea for story and art is crazy good and some very good moments but it's just so stupid in other parts.

#rantingaboutlongbowhunters
    Speaking as someone who considers Grell's Green Arrow one of the greatest ongoings in the history of the medium, Longbow Hunters left me cold too.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

I can't come to the conclusion whether or not Mister Miracle is one of the greatest comics of all time just for being one of the most out there comic books the big two have ever churned out or one of the worst for it's horrific characterizations, it appalling humor and incoherence.

Ultimate Member

Hush by Jeph Loeb
    Hawkeye by Matt Fraction
    (Hot take)- Mister Miracle- Tom King
    The Boys- Garth Ennis
    Preacher- Garth Ennis

The Steve Englehart Secret Empire saga from the 70's. Maybe it meant more as compared to the Nixon ongoings of the day.