Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Frank Castle is a Supervillain: Change my mind!!!!!!!!!

I read some Punisher stories here and there. I've read a bunch of guest appearances even watched all of his Netflix series. But I just can't think of him as a hero/anti-hero... In my mind Frank Castle is an outright supervillian. Am I alone in this?

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    I read some Punisher stories here and there. I've read a bunch of guest appearances even watched all of his Netflix series. But I just can't think of him as a hero/anti-hero... In my mind Frank Castle is an outright supervillian. Am I alone in this?
    I think he is closer to being a super-villain than a hero. Even when Doom rounded up a bunch of supervillain criminals when he was Infamous Iron Man, he turned them over to the authorities rather than killing them. BTW, has Frank ever been wrong about any of his executions? Even the judicial system in the RW has made mistakes on convictions, which is why some states haven't executed anyone on Death Row in years.

I do think he goes a tad too far when he guns down jaywalkers
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I do think he goes a tad too far when he guns down jaywalkers
    He was drugged then. Frank wouldn't have done it if he wasn't.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I can just objet to the "super" part, other ways I agree. He is a serial killer.

I remember the first comic I sought about him, was a crossover with Daredevil and he just shoots a bunch of people a kid among them fo robbery, then I understood that he wasn't my kind of "hero".

He even appeared in the second title sequence of the 90s Spider-Man cartoon, in a way that looked like he was a villain.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I think he is closer to being a super-villain than a hero. Even when Doom rounded up a bunch of supervillain criminals when he was Infamous Iron Man, he turned them over to the authorities rather than killing them. BTW, has Frank ever been wrong about any of his executions? Even the judicial system in the RW has made mistakes on convictions, which is why some states haven't executed anyone on Death Row in years.
    Nope, he's never once killed an innocent person (somehow).

Frankly, he's just the same as Spider-Man, a complete comic book fantasy. But unlike Spidey and sticking to walls, Castle's powers are firing a belt fed machine gun inside city limits and only hitting bad guys and never once killing an innocent person

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    He’s a multi-layered character, that’s for sure.
    But yeah, he’s a serial killer. Anything that doesn’t show him as such doesn’t understand him. I really liked how Rucka treated him, in that the police never actively went after him because half the force praised him.

But yeah, he’s a good character because he’s complex.
    Complex? I can't recall a single story in which he didn't kill a criminal, regardless of whatever favor they might have done for him. He has one purpose, one mission and never deviates from that whatsoever

Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

He may not kill innocent people but I have seen him kill bad guys for things that would not warrant a death penalty.

I think I read an issue where he came across people who said they had just recently joined A.I.M. and he shot them in the head.
    Baby Thanos

Quote Originally Posted by catbellysqueezer View Post
    He may not kill innocent people but I have seen him kill bad guys for things that would not warrant a death penalty.

I think I read an issue where he came across people who said they had just recently joined A.I.M. and he shot them in the head.
    that page was a goddamn nightmare
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post

Frankly, he's just the same as Spider-Man, a complete comic book fantasy. But unlike Spidey and sticking to walls, Castle's powers are firing a belt fed machine gun inside city limits and only hitting bad guys and never once killing an innocent person

Complex? I can't recall a single story in which he didn't kill a criminal, regardless of whatever favor they might have done for him. He has one purpose, one mission and never deviates from that whatsoever
    He's spared people who have committed crimes under duress and he doesn't kill kids (unless Joss Whedon is writing him).

Frank's literally committed genocide in the Marvel Universe
    The J-man

not super. definitely a villain.

True. But still a lot of innocent onlookers get caught in the crossfire.

Completely devoted to his cause. This certainly speaks to his character.

BANNED

it would be interesting to see what the punisher does if he has somehow reached the end of his war and crime and lawlessness are eliminated forever somehow. will he put a bullet in his own brain or simply walk away for parts unknown and wait for his next war? will he punish himself for all the mayhem he has caused or will he adopt a wait and watch approach waiting for the inevitable growth of the roots of crime once again for him to weed out?
    Last edited by theoneandonly; 05-07-2019 at 02:10 AM.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonly View Post
    it would be interesting to see what the punisher does if he has somehow reached the end of his war and crime and lawlessness are eliminated forever somehow. will he put a bullet in his own brain or simply walk away for parts unknown and wait for his next war? will he punish himself for all the mayhem he has caused or will he adopt a wait and watch approach waiting for the inevitable growth of the roots of crime once again for him to weed out?
    He becomes the cosmic ghost rider apparently.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.